Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Windex For Cleaning Grips   Golf Equipment

Started Jun-29 by NineMileSkid; 170 views.
NineMileSkid

Jun-29

Is the secret sauce the on with amonia-d, or without?

Thanks.

Art.. (ArtMBGolf)

Jun-29

I don't feel the ingredients mater. Whatever window cleaner I have seems to work the same. I use mainly GP G2, so hand oils don't sink in. If you have something like Tour Velvet that are getting older, you may need a brush or a grip cleaning product.
Bob (MULLYMAN)

Jun-29

Might also work for Covid per father in Big Fat Greek Wedding.

The only thing I've ever used that really did much was Comet cleanser and a brush.

Stoneded

Jun-30

No negative effects from the windex?  I always used plain dish soap and water on my Golf Pride Tour Wraps and never had a problem.

geddlemon

Jun-30

If I have grips that are really bad, and somewhat dried out, I will wash them with dish soap and hot water, but I use one of those foam sandpaper blocks to scrub them with. It cleans and exfoliates the rubber, giving it that new grip feel.

NineMileSkid

Jun-30

Stoneded said...

No negative effects from the windex?  I always used plain dish soap and water on my Golf Pride Tour Wraps and never had a problem.

So, internet research suggests that the ammonia will dry out rubber grips. And apparently, that is not a good thing!

NineMileSkid

Jun-30

geddlemon said...

If I have grips that are really bad, and somewhat dried out, I will wash them with dish soap and hot water, but I use one of those foam sandpaper blocks to scrub them with. It cleans and exfoliates the rubber, giving it that new grip feel.

So, I went with Dawn dishwashing detergent applied liberally onto a brush, and using very hot water, scrubbed the crap out of my grips.

The Tour Velvets turned out very well.

The GP V-55 with full cords, not so much. May try a little sandpaper.

geddlemon

Jul-1

The brush doesn't do the job that the sanding block does. They are only a few bucks at home depot or probably even WalMart. You need to exfoliate the rubber!