Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Huge Week next week transplant related   Non-Golf Folder (General)

Started Jul-2 by HAX (CVeratanictu); 1225 views.
HAX (CVeratanictu)

Jul-2

Next week I will spend 3 days at Methodist Hospital in Houston.  This starts the testing process for having a kidney transplant.  I cannot even put into words how hopeful I am about this.  I have been on Dialysis since November 2019, and I can honestly tell you, I feel like my life expectancy shortens a tiny bit every time I have to go.  

To give you an idea on what it's like, imagine sitting in a chair for 4 hours as all of your blood is pumped out of your body, into a machine with filters and other apparatus that cleans your blood and pumps it back into your body.  If you remove too much fluid, you get dangerously low blood pressure, if you don't remove enough,  you get bloating, and possibly fluid build up around organs that leads to bad things.  The headaches after dialysis are awful, and Tylenol does nothing to touch it.  If you remove to much fluid, muscle cramps are extremely frequent and intense.  In addition is the fatigue.  I come home and eat something, and then pretty much crash.  The thing is, you're so uncomfortable from dialysis that you really don't sleep much at a time, and I wake up at like 230 or 3 AM the next day and deal with insomnia.

Average life expectancy/mortality for the average 50 year old male on dialysis is 9 years.  Average life expectancy for a 50 year old man with a living kidney donor is 25 years.  I will be 49 in March.

I started a local campaign to acquire a kidney, and to date, have almost 40 people that have registered to be a living donor for me.  I am so beyond overwhelmed by the support from my local community, church, and co-workers...it truly is humbling to have someone willing to give you the most valuable thing in the universe...which is more time.  I did not put the life expectancy thing there for sympathy...I put it there because it quantifies what you're giving someone.  Time is more valuable than money or wealth or anything else.  You can make a fortune, lose a fortune, and make another one, but time...time is way more precious.  Once a moment is gone, it's gone, there's no going back to it or regenerating it or making it again.  It's gone. When you give someone more ticks on the clock, more time, you've given them something worth more than gold.  I am asking people for more time.

I'll keep y'all posted with the progress of this, but starting Tuesday at 645 AM, I have labs, meetings with counselors, cardiac exams, urology exams, hematology exams, more consults, more counselors, and more labs.  I basically have 3 straight days of non-stop appointments and testing.

I am ready.

flatstik (gregf82)

Jul-2

Excellent!  We’re all pulling for you, you got this!

usmcgolf13

Jul-2

Gear up big guy, you got this !

Semper Fi

RipperX

Jul-2

That was really well said. Sure makes political discussions seem petty. Best wishes. 

Steve (STEVE13358)

Jul-2

All the best, Hax.  Lean on your faith and knowledge that all of your friends are thinking of you and praying for you.

wrxgolfr

Jul-2

Best of luck and great choice of hospitals - Houston Methodist is world class.

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Jul-2

Yes indeed.  I met my nephrologist at MD Anderson...she is from the Methodist system, and she is the one that went to bat for me to go early to have the transplant done.  My in laws wanted me to go to University in San Antonio as they did a great job on my FIL's liver transplant, but I told them there was no way I could change.  

I don't say it lightly that I am looking forward to surgery, but in this case, I am.

wrxgolfr

Jul-2

HAX (CVeratanictu) said:

I don't say it lightly that I am looking forward to surgery, but in this case, I am.

That's the way it gets when the level of pain and discomfort and fear reach a certain level.  At some point in the next ten years I'll get there for a knee replacement, but that's not life threatening so it's not even comparable. 

Not relevant to you but one of the ads I hear on the radio that resonated with me:  "The only small procedure is a procedure on somebody else."