Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Bounce for Municipal Courses   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Jul-2 by Bob (MULLYMAN); 442 views.
Bob (MULLYMAN)

Jul-2

Play a lot of public courses with varying types of sand, fluffy, hard pan, and something in between. What would be the best bounce to use on my sand wedge.

Art.. (ArtMBGolf)

Jul-2

High bounce is best for soft/fluffy sand.  
Low bounce is best for packed/hard sand.  

If you know the course, you could have each kind of SW and switch for the course. 

You could have a 12° 56 SW and a 8° 60 SW and use one or the other, based on the sand.     

You could open the face a lot for soft sand and keep it more square for packed sand.  

If playing fluffy sand all the time, one of those wide sole SW might be useful.    

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Jul-2

I have been, admittedly intrigued by the Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2 wedges.  The 54* model has 10* of bounce and the 60 has I think 8*.  That would be a good 'do it all' combo.

I'm a wedge bounce heretic. I believe that nearly all modern wedges have too little bounce.

The pros, who caused this to happen address their bunker shots like the right photo.

When have you seen a amateur do that?

With a 10* bounce wedge, that's probably pushing 20* effective bounce. If a player is setting up like the left pic, he needs that 20* bounce to be successful. 

I am a much better than average sand player and haven't carried a sand wedge  since the 80s. I carry a high bounce 60* and a 52 with as much bounce as I can find.

I use the for a lot of bunker shots, where there's a lip, and lay the 52 wide open for longer bunker shots.

RTee2

Jul-3

Since most bags these days have  three wedges, why not go high bounce with your sand wedge and low bounce with your lob wedge?

While conditions dictate the optimum bounce, technique trumps equipment. You can hit soft, high shots with a high bounce wedge off of concrete. If you can learn to do this (and it isn't difficult - even I can do it), the high bounce is going to give you more forgiveness in soft conditions.

golftool

Jul-3

I have two wedges: 54/10 and 58/11. I set up like the player on the right. I have been very effective overall in sand with this setup and my swing. The sand at my course has been pretty firm lately, due to rain so it's no problem with less bounce. But, opening the face, makes it easy to get up from any sand, as long as I don't catch the ball on the upswing.

If it's a really long bunker shot to the green, I'll use my 50/08 gap wedge. which is very effective also.

If anyone is interested, here's a video of a VERY GOOD technique and setup. I watched this 5 times and then went and practiced for an hour after each viewing. It was worth the time and effort. I saw someone practicing the method at the course a couple years ago, the guy was hitting consistently flawless bunker shots. He put me onto Pete Cowen and I've been using this ever since. it works.

The biggest mistake I see poor bunker players making is they don't swing hard enough, period. 

Pete Cowen Bunker and Spincontrol

Use the sand, the sand is your friend Subscribe! so other golf enthousiasts can see the video in the future too.

• Edited July 3, 2020 10:44 am  by  golftool
RTee2

Jul-3

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

In reply toRe: msg 8
golftool

Jul-3

You’re welcome.

In reply toRe: msg 9
Bob (MULLYMAN)

Jul-3

Thanks to all for their assistance