Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Hit down? or hit towards?   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Jul-6 by BOGEYSBGONE; 281 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Jul-6

Where do you exert your most effort?  Down at the ball or a few inches ahead of the ball?  or mostly down line towards the target?

Robb

That's one of those things that I think isn't all that universal a swing thought.

For instance, two weeks ago I tried ToraMori's bend the arm, straighten the arm thought and hit the ball fairly well compared to recent months.

Last week I watched Dave P's recommended Cast, No Turn video from Monte S. and hit the ball about as well. One difference is that trying to "throw away" my lag almost completely eliminated the dreaded pull hook that's plagued me for at least 15 years. (It started, by the way, when i decided to convert from hitting a face off the tee to hitting a draw.)

But for someone whose tendency is to come over the top, your hitting at or through the ball can be devastating.

If your you tendency is to get too high in the backswing and turn out and over the swing plane, then the best move of the club head is to swing it away from the target. As if you were trying to throw it backward.

That move will put you back on plane, and let you go after it.

Good players pretty much all do that without realizing it, which means they can think of other things. 

ToraMori

Jul-6

Assuming you are right-handed, on the down swing you straighten your right arm to the back of the ball, while envisioning it is just a target with no physical mass.

BOGEYSBGONE

Jul-6

ToraMori said...

Assuming you are right-handed, on the down swing you straighten your right arm to the back of the ball, while envisioning it is just a target with no physical mass.

I've worked with that cue a lot and I like it a lot in general.   But I feel like I am not hitting it with intent or being able to anticipate impact...I feel like I'm leaving "power" on the table, unutilized.  I also get the idea from your cue the I have been straightening my arm "down" toward the ball or 2-4 inches ahead of it - but should the energy be exerted "down" or "at the target"?

Thanks Matt.

Robb

ToraMori

Jul-6

Lag and power is created by delaying the straightening motion as much as possible. But that requires practice and timing. Lag increases the speed of straightening because you have less time to do it.

Art.. (ArtMBGolf)

Jul-6

Down at the back of the ball and through to the target, with an Iron.  

With a Driver, hit the back of the ball with head traveling level to the ground or preferably up.  

Stu1961

Jul-6

... and prior to bottom or swing arc.  About three inches prior works for me.

REW37087

Jul-6

the finish.....it creates speed thru impact 

BOGEYSBGONE

Jul-6

REW37087 said...

the finish.....it creates speed thru impact 

Wooohoooo....practice your finish and attempt to get back to the finish position?

I've heard that before - I thought it was for balance - but if it's for speed that's interesting.  Thanks!

Robb