Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

is Dechambeau the future of golf?   Golf talk

Started Jul-8 by HAX (CVeratanictu); 2197 views.
In reply toRe: msg 40
MikeJA

Jul-19

The grand poobahs of golf have their heads up their asses for not throttling back the distance balls can travel long ago.  Not all the old courses have the room to keep moving back the tees.

I won my college championship twice back in the late 1950's.  When I had to quit golf because of arthritis when I was around 70 years old, I was hitting it farther than when I was young.  Ridiculous.

Tom0956i

Jul-27

Stu1961 said...

it looks as though he just got bigger from the tons of extra calories consumed to support his strength training.

I agree. That's not all muscle. Most of it is but it looks like his breakfast everyday is at IHOP.

NineMileSkid

Jul-28

Stu1961 said...

I guess I'm inferring/believing Bryson is in the "clean flight".  But let me re-phrase for clarification ... he doesn't look like he packed on 30 pounds of pure lean muscle ... it looks as though he just got bigger from the tons of extra calories consumed to support his strength training.

Seems to me that some have immediately jumped to the conclusion of "Steroids" - either because they never weight trained, are too old to remember just how malleable the human body can be at a young age, or lacked the discipline some have to bring about transformations (and Bryson's isn't even close to the most impressive I've seen).

I can't explain those who glom onto his statements about drinking so many protein drinks ... but then, curiously, ignore his statements about hours in the gym, every single day, for months.  I don't believe he ever said (or anyone ever did) that his strength/size gains were solely from drinking protein drinks.

When I hear him and the golf media yammer on and on about protein shakes, going so far as to carry them into his interviews, I always think he doth protest too much.

And serious strength training every day? If he is not recovering naturally--with rest and nutrition--how do you imagine he is?

NineMileSkid

Jul-28

HAX (CVeratanictu) said...

I did the 5-3-1 workout before I started seeing my kidney function take a dive, and I saw VERY quick results in both strength and fat loss and size.  I worked my hind end off.  It's possible without steroids, but to me, quick was like 18 months.

5-3-1? I am going to guess that you didn't do that every day, and took at least one day off for recovery after every session. Am I right?

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Jul-28

Every other day workouts and a de-load week to recover then I started over again.

Stu1961

Jul-28

I think you are reading waaaay to much into the protein shake thing.  Just because he drinks a lot of them - doesn't mean he's attributing any special powers of recovery or extra strength gained to them.  His only goal is to maintain a 2 to 1 carb to protein ratio - so maybe that's why all the drinks?  Else, maybe I missed an interview?   

Also, what you consider to be "serious" strength training doesn't necessarily coincide with what Bryson is doing.  Though he certainly seems serious about increasing his strength.  Does that alone make it "serious strength training"?  

From what I've been able to find - it's predominantly core workouts.  "His gym inspiration is to stave off a nagging back injury. That injury — which DeChambeau says stems from a childhood trampoline accident plus the wear of hitting nearly infinite range balls — left him in major pain last season."

I know he says he doesn't bench, or do squats … so "not serious"?  The explanation online is:  "He’s been focusing on exercises that get him into “extreme positions of rotations and flexions” at which point he adds weight to build mental and physical tolerance in those positions".  There's quite a bit of info online about the Muscle Activation Technique and the isolation exercises.  

Nothing he's accomplished so far is not easily explained by hard work and determination (and youth).  

In reply toRe: msg 46
Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

His head looks bigger, too.

garyt1957gt

Jul-28

I think that thick neck makes his head look  bigger 

He showed some roid rage to a couple of officials at the Memorial.