Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Allergies   Health, Fitness, Diet, Wellness, etc.

Started Aug-2 by Boomslang (DaveP8); 483 views.
Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-2

When I was a kid, allergies were like poison oak.  Everyone was pretty much  allergic to it.  Never heard of anyone with a peanut allergy.  Now it seems like everyone has a bevy of allergies.  My wife is allergic to pork, milk and who knows how many different pollen(s).  My step daughter is allergic to nuts, but not peanuts.  WTF?  What is causing all these allergies among our population?  

Dave P

1putt1

Aug-2

Climate change of course, LOL. Actually, it's been proposed that as our living conditions increased over the decades we're not as likely to be exposed to various "toxins" as kids which would "teach" our immune systems and thereby decrease allergic inflammation.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-2

That makes sense.  My step daughter uses hand sanitizer all the time...for years.  She gets every bug that goes through town.

Dave P

RTee2

Aug-2

There are ways to reduce or eliminate some allergies. Psychedelics is one way. Altering your gut biome is another. 

I used to have a cat allergy. Now is is mild to non-existent.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-2

And what exactly did you do for that?

Dave P

RTee2

Aug-2

Don't know, exactly. Probably a combination of diet, fitness, time-restricted feeding, and cold exposure. Basically, things to strengthen the immune system. Knock on wood, but I haven't had a cold or flu in years.

As for the other method, listen to the experiences of Dr. Andrew Weil:

https://youtu.be/WjYYdMNUXF8?t=1960

In reply toRe: msg 6
Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-2

It's been nearly 3.5 years since I've been sick.  Physically that is.

Dave P

BlkNGld1

Aug-3

I think for one thing, we've learned more about food allergies.   When we were kids, unless some food made someone visibly ill, it was dismissed as being picky.

Depending on who you talk to are plenty of theories on why some allergies are more prevalent, some of which are around the pesticides and/or preservatives used on our foods.

The other thing that we've learned is that we all have a tolerance level for certain substances, and once we hit it, we can become allergic even though we never were in the past.   Common thinking used to be that allergies are something you're born with.

That said, I've got a couple of relatives that had some pretty severe peanut allergies when they were very young, and were going through therapy to reduce their risk to accidental exposure.   They're in their teens now and recently had a PB&J for the first time.

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-3

I must have just missed out on the measles vaccine.  Born in 1955.  Siblings in 1954, 1957 and 1958.  We all shared measles, mumps and rubella.

Dave P