Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NHL - confused?   Non-Golf Folder (General)

Started Aug-2 by BOGEYSBGONE; 284 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-2

Not sure what's happening.   Some teams are "Best of 5" but teams like the Caps (my home team) are playing different teams instead?  Anyone following hockey?  Please explain?

Thanks.  I hope the Caps can win the cup again.  I won't care - no asterisk!  :)

Robb

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-2

I may have a new to me sport to watch.  They aren't screwing the pooch like the NFL, MLB or NBA are they?

Dave P

BlkNGld1

Aug-3

What they've done is try to include the teams that, when things stopped, had a shot at making the playoffs.

In each conference, the teams that led their division and the team with the next best record are in the playoffs, period.   However they're playing a 3 game round robin to determine their seeding at the top.

The 8 remaining teams in each conference are seeded and playing a best of five series to determine who gets into the playoffs.   

When it's all done, then the real 16 team playoffs begin.

It's not perfect - for example, in the east, Boston was far and away the best team and extremely unlikely to be caught.   They'd have almost certainly been the 1 seed and could wind up 4.   

On the other hand, with the bubble, home ice advantage is greatly reduced... basically choice of ends and last line change.

BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-3

Ok thank you.   

Robb

BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-3

Boomslang (DaveP8) said...

I may have a new to me sport to watch.  They aren't screwing the pooch like the NFL, MLB or NBA are they?

Dave P

Speaking for myself - I love hockey.  I really didn't know much about hockey until about 7 years ago.   Ovechkin had recently signed an extension and was ostensibly the best player i the league.  My nephews and friends were all playing in school so I would go to the games without understanding it.   So I figured I ought to learn the game.

It's perhaps the most fun and most "pure" sport I can think of.  Not yet entirely polluted by money.  You could be down 6-0 with 30 seconds to play - and the players are still out there giving it their all...  Our family loves it.  Go root for the Seattle Kraken - they are a brand new team.  Hope you enjoy the game as much as we have.

Robb

BlkNGld1

Aug-3

Not to put a jinx on things, but I'd say that I'm surprised at how much hockey - both players and owners - have gotten right.

First, not only did they come up with an agreement to resume the season without a ton of greed and drama, they even extended the CBA to boot.

But it's just been a week since they've been in the bubbles.    A lot of team execs worry that once things go on for more than a couple of weeks - about the length of a long road trip - players may start to get antsy.

BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-3

I think they are playing all games "away" at neutral sites?   No actually normal stadiums are being used?  Am watching Caps vs Tampa Bay and they are playing at Scotia Bank Arena in Toronto.

Robb

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-3

My brother went back to Winnepeg with the former OSU coach's little brother(Ed Riley, brother of Mike).  He brought back 3 hockey sticks and a couple of hockey balls.  My cousin played goalie for Dartmouth in the early 70s.

Dave P

BlkNGld1

Aug-3

The Eastern conference bubble is in Toronto.   The Western conference one is in Edmonton.   Once it gets to the semifinals everyone will be in Edmonton, and at that point I believe the players' families will be allowed to join them.

And so far, the 'home' team has their advertising signage on the boards.