Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Swingspeed Radar - progress report.   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Aug-3 by BOGEYSBGONE; 786 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-3

DAY 1:  Thanks to GEA - I bought a Swingspeed Radar based on GEA recommendations (thank you thank you thank you) - I will drive my family less-crazy during Covid and work on my terrible swing.    $116 from Amazon.

I didn't read the manual at all - so here's what I did:

1) arrives in a box and you have to put 3 AA batteries into it - and then press the big blue button...kinda firmly (so it doesn't turn on accidentally in your golf bag).  Look at the picture - in the picture there is a black dot next to the "bat and ball" so it's set for baseball.  

2) Press the button a couple of times and it will cycle through until you get the black dot at "golf" and "mph".  I love this thing - only ONE button - so even I can figure it out.    I didn't realize that it was on baseball for 10 swings so I thought it was broken.     

3) Put a ball on the ground and set up to it.   Then put the radar about 10-12" across from the ball or slightly ahead of the ball and looking "backwards" maybe 20-25*.   You'll figure it out...it's not hard.

4) Start swinging.  This thing is awesome it displays the swing speed probably just about every single time you swing something past it.  Unlike a lot of the fancier radars - you don't have to wait.  Just keep swinging.   :)

To get a baseline reading I swung the club like I normally do and then when I felt ready - I gave it 10 normal good swings.   What an eye opener.   I totally suck.  I mean - REALLY suck.   The average of my 10 swings was (generously) - 70 mph.   "Ball don't lie..." or something like that...but I was about to cry.  I was slower than slow and ready to throw my clubs into the trash.   BUT - that's the whole reason why I bought this SSR.   So - there you go - I was a "generous 70 mph" simply b/c I tossed out 3 swings where I hit them fat.   Quick math:  70X 2.4 yards = about 170 carry.  Add 15 yards of roll = 185-190.   I've had several of those a round lately....and then I start to swing harder and harder - get a couple out to 215 but many of them slice or snap hook.   I have a blister growing under my right thumb; and my right fore finger bottom joint....gripping the living shit out of the club.  Not good.   So the radar (even if it's a little low) is basically accurate.   So much for a baseline.  :(   I hate this thing already.  I hate myself even more.  Fat tub of goo....    Dammit.

I took a break - and then decided to limber up and swung my Orange Whip.  Yeah...that's the ticket....it always helps that when I swing it - I hit it farther. C'mon OW....c'mon..don't fail me now...   I swing it about 20 times and am winded.   Then I take the driver and make a MIGHTY swing - and love it...look down...DARN - forgot to turn it on.    Make two more awesome feeling swings - and get a reading....71 and 65.  WTF?   So I "time the release" a couple of times I've been trying - "74"...  I try a couple of other "sure fire tips" and best I got was 78...but I felt like I was about to break something.   I take a break.  Hockey is on tv - I watch a period. and then try again....trying the best of  all the tips - and get a few more at 77-78.   My daughter - who only recently started to play golf asks to try - and she swings and almost hits the ceiling.  That's no good.   She laughs - and then tries it again.  She gets 94 and 95.   :(  :(   I promptly ground her for the duration of coronavirus.  She can't understand.   LOL

More later.

Robb

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Aug-3

Great “review”.  We’re you swinging at 70 mph with a driver?  Not asking to make fun, that just seems low.

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-3

I had a swing stick for awhile.   My best swings were whippy.  Hmmmm, Whippy Tempomaster could be your friend Robb!

Dave P

Art.. (ArtMBGolf)

Aug-3

I thought the same thing, it's not clear if using an iron or driver.    

garyt1957gt

Aug-4

Not to be a dick, but 70 seems really slow. I was going to tell you something is wrong with the unit till you said your daughter got it up to 94.

Maybe try some one handed swings alternating arms. I was having driver issues a while back and found I could hit the ball 230 right handed only yet when I put both hands on I could barely get 200. Bad sequencing, flexibility, who knows. I was actually thinking about playing my driver one handed but the mishits were too bad and the extra distance on the good hits wouldn't make up for it.

I could get my SS radar up over 100 with no ball but could never approach that with a ball. I'd experiment with different swings to see what gives you more speed. Swinging all arms,  passive arms, etc. Obviously a lesson with a good instructor would be the fastest fix.

BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-4

HAX (CVeratanictu) said...

Great “review”.  We’re you swinging at 70 mph with a driver?  Not asking to make fun, that just seems low.

No worries - I am swinging it that slowly I guess - and with driver.   But good news on the way.

Day 2:

Based on the shitty first day results - I decided to improve - and my fastest controlled swings were 91.   So that's promising.  If not actually 91...then it's at least "faster" than before.   Anything beats 70.    :)    I do sessions of about 10-20 swings, a couple times a day.   The radar is in the family room - which is in between my office and the kitchen....so naturally I go through the family room a bazillion times a day....and I get to swing pretty often.   91 is better - but not easily repeatable.  and I had to warm up a bit.  Good news - I can swing mid 70s now pretty easily.   And trying all of the crazy speed-producing tips that I've tried over the years - here is what IS working:

Criteria/goal:   to have a power swing, that is easy to reproduce, and is EASY on my body.    I watch all these pros swing - and particularly LPGA pros - and they all swing it really easily.  No violence.   On the men's side - as a comparison - Rory McIlroy - has an amazing swing - but I think that I am simply unable to swing even at the same tempo - my body will explode.   So I look at players like InBee Park; MinJee Lee; videos of NYC - all smooth tempo players.  That's my hope anyways:

Here's the stuff that seems to work - and I can reproduce the swing and stay in balance.  These are simply speeds - not necessarily distances from balls hit on the course:

1) relax.  Holy smokes - relax!!!  Do NOT try to hold or control anything.

2) My visual now is "hips rotate like a merry go round" and arms are like a "ferris wheel".   Sort of like:   if someone had explained that to me 20 years ago I probably could understand golf swing a lot better.  :)

3) I try to keep my belt buckle pointed at the ball; and turn my upper body against the lower body.   I still let my hips rotate and load up my right leg and hip as I "twist".

4) the twisting helps me to feel a twist from the ground up my left leg; left hip; left side to my leg shoulder.

5) I do 2 things to get me to unwind:   squat a little bit as I shift the weight to my left (particularly on the left leg) - and then push up on the downswing; and I also try to just pull the hip straight backwards.   The combination is like a one-to-one movement.....as I push/pull my left side the club starts dropping.   the faster I push/pull the faster the swing speed. :)

6) It feels incredibly scary - in that it feels like I just swing to the top - pause and then fire my left hip - and I HOPE the club will hit the ball.

7) I tried this outside this morning - and while my speed was in the mid 80s - the lack of control - causes the club to come down on a different path than when I was controlling the club with my hands and arms.   I shanked a bunch of balls b/c I don't really know where the club head is going.  I'm not off by much - but enough to mishit it.   So I assume that my solid striking previously - was b/c my hands were steering the club.

More to come.   Big fan of the SSR :) 

Robb

In reply toRe: msg 6
BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-5

Day 3:  fastest speed yet.  96!   I love this thing!   :)  More importantly I can consistently break 80 mph on a driver swing.  So happy.

Constant things to focus on:

I am more conscious of my lower body now - winding up the merry go round.  

I rotate normally so that my left shoulder is almost over my right knee - and I feel a neat stretch across my torso.  It is a longer swing than I am used to - probably b/c wasn't "stretching" before.

I am very conscious that I am trying to "leave my arms at the top of the backswing" and then wait until I feel a connection and a stretch down my left side and particularly with my left ribcage/hip/butt - and then I "squash the bug" with my left heel and try to rotate my hips....and somehow my arms follow - and it creates a faster speed than normal.  If I don't feel the stretch in my left side AND leave the club at the top - my speed drops by 5-10 mph.

Not bad for 3 days - but boy was my natural swing getting really bad.  So glad I bought this SSR.  :)

Robb

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Aug-5

COOL!!! I like the squash the bug mental image

flatstik (gregf82)

Aug-6

Damn Robb, I never knew about the little bat and club icons!  Mine has been on the bat. You’re still the smartest guy here!

BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-6

flatstik (gregf82) said...

Damn Robb, I never knew about the little bat and club icons!  Mine has been on the bat. You’re still the smartest guy here!

You could probably add another 20 mph to your swing then.   :)

Robb