Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Beirut - who done it?   Futility Folder:Politics

Started Aug-4 by yotsubishi (ToraMori); 739 views.
Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-4

My condolences to all the victims.  I suppose it's a bit early, but here we go.

Dave P

No, they would have used a nuke.
Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-4

It looked like a suitcase nuke.

Dave P

That high a yield with chemicals would require a very large bomb. Bigger than the OKC truck bomb. I heard the theory that a munitions warehouse was blown up but that would probably be a several explosions. But I’ve heard no reports of radioactivity. Beirut is a port city so maybe a ship bomb. Which means we could get one. We should inspect ships under some flags long before they reach port.
In reply toRe: msg 6
Art.. (ArtMBGolf)

Aug-4

In a tweet on the Lebanese presidential account, the material was identified as ammonium nitrate, citing Prime Minister Hassan Diab as saying, "It is unacceptable that a shipment of ammonium nitrate estimated at 2,750 tons has been present for six years in a warehouse without taking preventive measures that endanger the safety of citizens."

In a domestic terrorism case that shook America, Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people by creating a bomb from two tons of ammonium nitrate mixed with fuel oil to blow up the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City in 1995.

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-5

That might explain the size of the blast!

Dave P

Yield estimate was about 2.2 kT TNT, about 1/10 Hiroshima.