Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What I have been up to lately   Non-Golf Folder (General)

Started Aug-5 by yotsubishi (ToraMori); 323 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-5

ToraMori said...

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/USNC-Korean-companies-to-develop-micro-modular-rea

I report directly to the CEO as a Senior Technical Advisor.

...and how does he like his coffee?

Kidding!!!!  Looks cool.  Good luck.

Robb

flatstik (gregf82)

Aug-5

Very cool - so would this be used to generate electricity in industrial plants, like a manufacturing facility?  What applications?  What's the cost, if you can say?

Initially remote, off-grid applications like mines in parts of a Canada where electricity costs are very high because of diesel transportation costs. That’s how we got initial VC funding. We have a more advanced higher temperature design that is economical with most electricity markets at a fraction of the capital cost and financial risk of a large nuclear plant.
Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

Very cool.

Do you wear a mask when you are with the CEO in person?

Our corporate HQ happens to be in Seattle of all places. I’ve been working from home in San Diego since 2012 except when I need to travel. Lots of Zoom meetings.
flatstik (gregf82)

Aug-5

Ah - so when in Seattle I bet you wear a Kevlar vest and helmet, right?

flatstik (gregf82)

Aug-5

Interesting. I didn’t realize it was for such small and discrete use.

So would something like this have application to power, for instance, a shopping center, a mall, or say a 350 unit apartment complex? If so, how would the customer/residents be protected from any nuclear radiation or accidental discharges?   Also, what licensure issues would they face?

Each unit is about 5 MWe. Plants have multiple units as needed for the application. Factory fabricated. Small size enables transportability. Core cannot melt or release radioactivity even if all cooling is lost. Fuel has been proven under these conditions. I’ve also been working as a consultant to Idaho National Laboratory on the fuel qualification program.

I haven’t been to the HQ for over a year. I hate going there just because of the horrible traffic between the airport and the north side of Seattle where the HQ office is located. We have several international partners across the globe so the CEO wanted a location on the west coast with more direct access by air. I keep telling him San Diego is not too inconvenient and there is plenty office space available.

Tom0956i

Aug-6

Is the Idaho Nat Lab what used to be called Argonne West?