Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ivermectin for Killing the Coronavirus?   Futility Folder:Politics

Started Aug-10 by Charlie6D; 628 views.
Charlie6D

Aug-10

"An Australian drug known as Ivermectin, which is already in use throughout the world to treat parasitic conditions, is showing great results in killing coronavirus in studies involving patients, according to Sky News.

"Because I'm involved in developing these in the U.S. where all the patients are, there are a number of studies that are amazingly successful. We're talking close to 100%. In fact, we haven't seen a result yet under 100%. It looks like corona is very simple to kill,"  Professor Thomas Borody, medical director of Australia's Center for Digestive Disease. "It's available as a prescription medication. You wouldn't use it alone ... but you add two other things to it such as doxycycline and zinc."

Ivermectin is already approved by the FDA and is on the World Health Organization's list of model list of essential medicines.

"We had a 14-hospital trial in Bangladesh. We got [cured] 100 out of 100. In China, they tried to reproduce it. They got 60 out of 60 cured ... So I am behind the Ivermectin, doxycycline, zinc treatment because it has very few side effects and is a real killer of coronavirus," Borody said.

Borody said the Ivermectin tablet could cost as little as $2, which is likely why drugmakers haven't promoted the drug's usage. He also suggested that have a cure for the disease easily would do away with the need for people to be hospitalized, which would make doctors less money.

"There's no huge pharmaceutical company behind it to spend millions of dollars and put people in places to treat," Borody said."

https://www.newsmax.com/Health/health-news/Australia-Ivermectin-coronavirus-covid/2020/08/08/id/981220/?gdpr_consent=&gdpr=false

Ivermectin has long been used for treatment of parasites in livestock/cattle and also for dogs.  I know that I used to administer it to my dogs (beagles) for treatment/prevention of heartworms.  I used it for years on numerous beagles and never had a single instance of heartworms in my beagles.  Nor was there any observable side effect from the use of the medicine.  The dosage needs to be scaled for the size of the animal.  You don't give a 30 pound dog the same dose that you do a 800 pound cow.

Charlie----------------------------------------------------

BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-10

Let's hope.  Nice Charlie.

Robb

It's no good unless they did a double study on blind men or something like that.

And I bet Clorox works even better.

MikeJA

Aug-10

Sure hope Trump doesn't see this and talk about it.

Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

Have there been any gold-standard studies where they gave it to seriously ill people at higher than normal doses?   I’m told only those are worth anything.

OldApexII

Aug-10

For God's sake, make sure you NEVER give Ivermectin to any Collie related breed; it will either kill them or put them in a coma so deep they may not ever wake up. 

Charlie6D

Aug-10

OldApexII said...

For God's sake, make sure you NEVER give Ivermectin to any Collie related breed; it will either kill them or put them in a coma so deep they may not ever wake up. 

You are correct.  For some reason, the Collie breeds cannot tolerate Ivermectin.  I've used the Ivermec liquid medicine orally on perhaps 8 or 10 beagles and one German Shorthair Pointer for many years with total success at preventing heartworms.  As far as I know, all other breeds of dogs (except Collies) tolerate the Ivermec very well.  Ivermec is also good for killing intestinal parasites.  It's a very broad spectrum medicine. 

Charlie-----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Edited August 10, 2020 2:49 pm  by  Charlie6D
OldApexII

Aug-10

Yes, but many people do not know and have killed or seriously injured their pets trying to save a buck.

BTW, I graduated UGA College of Veterinary Medicine in 1988.

It wasn't until a vet friend's daughter enrolled in veterinary school that I learned that there are more medical schools than veterinary schools. 

Charlie6D

Aug-10

OldApexII said...

Yes, but many people do not know and have killed or seriously injured their pets trying to save a buck.

BTW, I graduated UGA College of Veterinary Medicine in 1988.

Ivermectin is widely used in treating/prevention of heartworms (and numerous other internal parasites) in dogs and cats, and has been used for decades.  It is the active ingredient in Heartgard brand of heartworm medicine for dogs and cats, and is used for numerous other animals as well.

There's nothing wrong with a person saving money by buying the Ivermec product directly and administering the medicine themselves rather than paying an exorbitant price at the vet's office for the same active ingredients.  As you correctly stated, it is very dangerous for Collie breed dogs.  For all other breed dogs plus cats and many farm animals (and apparently humans too), it is quite safe if administered with a bit of common sense. 

I'm not advocating that people take it without proper supervision, but apparently it is already used in several medicines for humans and has been deemed quite safe for humans to use under proper dosage and conditions.  I just hope that it is soon tested on all those blind men ;) and approved by the FDA and FBI and USDA and EPA and every other fuckin' agency in the country ASAP.  :)

Charlie-----------------------------------------------------------------------------