Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The More I Practice...   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Aug-28 by Stoneded; 744 views.
Stoneded

Aug-28

The worse I get.  Apparently I am the opposite of Gary Player.  When it comes to the full swing, at least, the more I try to nail it down in practice, the worse I slap it around the course when I actually play.  On the other hand, I can basically not swing a club for a week or two an then go out and hit the ball as well as I ever do.  I'm wondering if maybe as a decomposing veteran of the game, it is better just to go with the swing I've developed over the last 50 years than to try to discover or unlock something new on the practice range.  Truthfully, when I think about it, there are no "new" revelations.  Every epiphany I have is really just a rehash of something that I've tried probably multiple times before.  Maybe the sad truth is that with this game, you reach a level of incompetence and that's all she wrote.  I have a feeling it's not just me.  When I look around at the other seniors I play with, nobody is really getting any better.  I mean, guys will shoot a decent round here or there or maybe even a few in a row, but the handicaps stay the same.  And a lot of these guys play and practice constantly.  Any thoughts from you fellow geezers?

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Aug-28

Practice chipping and putting....a lot.  What iron do you hit the most?  Practice it.  On the course, pretend all irons are the iron you practice with.  My lowest handicap is when I did this.  I practiced with my gap wedge.  On the course I laid up to 100 yards..my gap wedge distance at the time.   Hitting one club on the range gave me a better tempo.  

Dave P

Art.. (ArtMBGolf)

Aug-28

Those who practice their full swing a lot, might be experimenting, trying new clubs, etc, but are mostly grooving the swing they have.   
It will help them maintain what they have, so they don't play worse if they lay off.    If a beginner, practice helps to improve, but if you have
played for 20, 30, 40 years, practice may only help us play what we are capable of, unless we are practicing good changes. 

As we get older, playing + practicing helps us to be in golf shape to extend our golf career.    
Hitting a large bucket of full swings is a good golf workout.           

Stoneded

Aug-28

I guess my problem is that I can't help tinkering a little while I practice.  Always hoping there's an outside chance I'll find some hidden secret to consistency.  In the end that only seems to result in a muddle of swing thoughts that fix nothing.  Oh well, if I was smart I wouldn't be playing this game.

BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-28

Prepare for the weird:   :)

1) if you can reasonably/reliably cover 400 yards with a drive + approach shot - you can put the weight on your long game - and shoot in the 80s and sometimes 70s from 6500 and shorter.   If you can't - move up a set of tee(s) until you can.

2) Practice putting in a straight line - maybe 3-4 feet.  The priority is to putt the ball straight - not necessarily to make the putt.  I tend to putt a ball at another ball.  If I use a hole I get distracted.

3) Learn to chip and pitch with solid contact.   Learn the carry-to-roll ratios. 

In general golf is "drive it in the fairway 250"; hit an approach 150 - and you should be on the green.  2 putts for par.     More likely:  drive it 230; hit it 170 to the side of the green; chip it within 2-3 feet.  Putt it in.

Robb

BlkNGld1

Aug-31

With many of our ranges only available to those playing, I've noticed the same thing.   Perhaps my range swing is ingraining some bad habits.

On the other hand, I could use some time at the short game area.

golftool

Aug-31

I'm gonna put my head on the chopping block here...I think too many people don't realize how far 250 yds really is. I know my drives are probably somewhere around 220, and slowly increasing in small increments. Last week on a par 5, I hit one, by my calculations, 258 yards. The fairway is relatively flat from an elevated tee. It was easily the longest drive I've hit in a while. The thing is, it seemed to roll forever. People who hit driver in the 220 range, are going to need anything from a 3 wood to a low hybrid to reach the green.

More and more the recommendation is to hit a club that will allow you to control the shot, and get it as close to the hole as you can, then rely on your short game and putting to get your up and down.

On the above mentioned hole, I had somewhere around 180 - 200 in. Using a 5w, (I removed the 3w from my bag) I ended up in a green side bunker. Long bunker shot to a back pin and I took 2 putts for par. Had I laid up to a yardage I might have hit it into worse trouble, which does exist around that green, knowing that covering the entire distance with 5W wasn't likely, but coming up short wouldn't hurt me. Getting it as close to the hole and trying for an up and down has proved more successful than laying  up to a yardage, or trying to hit the "Best Ever" second shot of my life. 

BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-31

golftool said...

I'm gonna put my head on the chopping block here...I think too many people don't realize how far 250 yds really is. I know my drives are probably somewhere around 220, and slowly increasing in small increments. Last week on a par 5, I hit one, by my calculations, 258 yards. The fairway is relatively flat from an elevated tee. It was easily the longest drive I've hit in a while. The thing is, it seemed to roll forever. People who hit driver in the 220 range, are going to need anything from a 3 wood to a low hybrid to reach the green.

More and more the recommendation is to hit a club that will allow you to control the shot, and get it as close to the hole as you can, then rely on your short game and putting to get your up and down.

On the above mentioned hole, I had somewhere around 180 - 200 in. Using a 5w, (I removed the 3w from my bag) I ended up in a green side bunker. Long bunker shot to a back pin and I took 2 putts for par. Had I laid up to a yardage I might have hit it into worse trouble, which does exist around that green, knowing that covering the entire distance with 5W wasn't likely, but coming up short wouldn't hurt me. Getting it as close to the hole and trying for an up and down has proved more successful than laying  up to a yardage, or trying to hit the "Best Ever" second shot of my life. 

As I said it is weird....I am weird.    I was positing that as my own measure of when I should move up a set of tees or not.

Back in my prime - I could reliably hit it 230-250 and then hit an 8 iron 150.   I could play tees at 6500 yards (blue tees generally).  You could play standard golf.

Since I can't hit it 250 anymore, and my 150 club is now a 7 iron - I can't play at 6500 comfortably b/c I can't generally make GIR particularly with wood or hybrid - so I need to move forward to the blended tees (6250ish) or the white tees (6000 yards).

Robb

SwingBetter

Aug-31

I read a recommendation to calculate a samplle yardage to play. 
5 Iron Distance X 36 = Yardage to play.  
170 X 36 = 6120    

BOGEYSBGONE

Aug-31

SwingBetter said...

I read a recommendation to calculate a samplle yardage to play. 
5 Iron Distance X 36 = Yardage to play.  
170 X 36 = 6120    

Maybe so.

I like my way better - it's more practical for me - albeit it is admittedly weird.

Robb