Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Pitching - refresher for solid contact?   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Sep-7 by BOGEYSBGONE; 373 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-7

Pitching hints please?  Specifically about technique - am struggling with contact, and, (as a result) distance control.   I tend to "pitch" when I am required to carry the ball 5-30 yards.  Otherwise I "chip" and play a bump and run.   

For me - pitching requires making decent contact in order to gauge 1) carry distance; 2) rollout distance.   But if initial contact is poor - then both the carry and the roll become less predictable.   In the past - my carry-to-roll ratio for my 56* is 2-to-1.   Fly it 10 yards and it will hit, check, roll about 5 more.   If I'm 30 yards from the pin - fly it 20 yards, and roll out 10.

I usually do the weight on the left, hands slightly ahead; hinge and hold; open the face to expose/use the bounce for forgiveness.   Now for some reason I can't make solid contact.  So I am assuming I am missing something in my setup or technique.

What are your best tips and tricks for solid contact on pitches please?  From tight lies in the fairway (and where a hazard or obstacle prevents chipping) and from the rough?

Thanks!

Robb

RTee2

Sep-7

I used to be the world's shittiest pitcher of the ball (good third baseman, though!), and am now getting decent. The video below from around the 7 minute mark really helped me, and understand the role of bounce. I also improved my tempo. Before, it was more like my full swing: too fast and too body-oriented. The downswing is now more relaxed, which has improved contact and consistency. I have also calibrated the distance the ball carries for swings where the club shaft goes to parallel, and swings where the left arm goes to parallel.

https://youtu.be/AmprwrkN81k?t=409

Art.. (ArtMBGolf)

Sep-7

If you don't have to carry anything, you can use a chipping motion, with dead hands and a bigger swing than the chip and run 8 iron. 
Use a PW or 56°.   I don't think you want wrist hinge or a steep angle of attack, unless you need to flop it over a bunker.   

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-7

Art.. (ArtMBGolf) said...

If you don't have to carry anything, you can use a chipping motion, with dead hands and a bigger swing than the chip and run 8 iron. 
Use a PW or 56°.   I don't think you want wrist hinge or a steep angle of attack, unless you need to flop it over a bunker.   

Yes - to me "pitching" always has carry.  My preference is a bump and run...but I always get into trouble.  LOL

Robb

In reply toRe: msg 4
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-8

Worked at it for last 2 days - and realized I was rocking my shoulders, and using a big putting stroke at the ball - and bascially swinging my arms past my body.  I was getting all sorts of contact and the ball would basically either fly and stop (way too much spin/high trajectory) or skull it and it would run away forever.   Either way - very unpredictable flight and roll.....b/c of poor contact.

Looked at my old notes - and got a reminder to 1) rotate through the shot and 2) end up with my belt buckle and club pointed at the target. It was easier to do on 20 yard pitches - but it worked like magic for the chips too.  

Hopefully  it's solved!

Robb

I envision I'm throwing a ball softly under handed. The same for lag putting. I would sometimes practice pitching and lag putting with just my right arm.

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-8

ToraMori said...

I envision I'm throwing a ball softly under handed. The same for lag putting. I would sometimes practice pitching and lag putting with just my right arm.

Yep good one.  When I envision that my whole body is still engaged.    What I was doing was holding my body stationary and only swinging the arm.   Thanks again Matt.

Robb

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Sep-15

Shorter swing for better contact.  

Dave P

That will cause him to chunk and skull.
HAX (CVeratanictu)

Sep-17

When I struggle with pitching, I do the following:

Ball back in the stance.  Hands pressed forward, Turn the shoulders back half way, turn shoulders back through...crisp contact, ball flies where I want it to go.  Repeat.  I control distance with how far I turn my shoulders.

I will either take a regular grip or a choked down grip, and I will do this with any club from a 7 iron or less.