Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

"Hogan Arms" - why?   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Sep-14 by BOGEYSBGONE; 356 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-14

What is the effect of keeping your arms together - like Hogan recommends?

Robb

Stoneded

Sep-14

I'd imagine it keeps your swing connected.  Works for Dustin Johnson apparently.  I took a lot out of "Five Lessons," but I don't like that particular feeling.

I've told you before, the only thing you need to think about is the left wrist hinging left thumb up, left thumb down.  Ulnar Deviation is the left thumb snapping downward into the ball.

Look at any other tip through that lens.  If it puts the left wrist to hip high in a position to smash the left thumb into the back of the ball, it's a good tip.

If the tip does nothing to put the left wrist into position, that tip isn't for you, let somebody else follow it astray.

Wrist unclocked - ulnar deviation in golf

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-15

RocketsRedGlare (V65Saber) said...

I've told you before, the only thing you need to think about is the left wrist hinging left thumb up, left thumb down.  Ulnar Deviation is the left thumb snapping downward into the ball.

Look at any other tip through that lens.  If it puts the left wrist to hip high in a position to smash the left thumb into the back of the ball, it's a good tip.

If the tip does nothing to put the left wrist into position, that tip isn't for you, let somebody else follow it astray.

Wrist unclocked - ulnar deviation in golf

Thank you - interesting.  Will incorporate that into the mix!

Robb

BlkNGld1

Sep-15

IMO, while there is a lot of good in what Hogan teaches, a lot of his beliefs come from what he dealt with on his own journey.   Just like all of us.    He fought a hook, so much of his preferences were to tame it.   Most weekend hackers have the opposite issue to Hogan's.   

While that arm position will promote connection, for many it will also restrict (or at least slow down) forearm rotation.

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-15

BlkNGld1 said...

IMO, while there is a lot of good in what Hogan teaches, a lot of his beliefs come from what he dealt with on his own journey.   Just like all of us.    He fought a hook, so much of his preferences were to tame it.   Most weekend hackers have the opposite issue to Hogan's.   

While that arm position will promote connection, for many it will also restrict (or at least slow down) forearm rotation.

So I tried it today - and for me - it "only" seems to help to keep me on-plane...so I can just rotate the body.   I took a belt and twisted it into a sideways "8" and stuck my arms through - and the immediate affect was that I no longer sucked the club "inside and up...and OTT..." (an old problem I have had), and everything stayed on-plane.  More efficient than an OTT move.   I've solved this by keeping my trail arm in front of my body already.   I had thought maybe there was an increase in speed or something...

My arms don't naturally do that - so I have to probably stretch or find different anchor points.   By the same token - by forcing my body to accomodate one area; it probably will adversely affect me in another.  Result might be:  "Wow - he barely hits his driver 100 yards..."  "Yeah - but his swing plane is perfect!!"    LOL

Robb

Mickey Wright used one of these, and both Hogan and Nelson said she had the best swing they ever saw.

https://www.amazon.com/Callaway-C30325-Swing-Easy/dp/B006YTYM8W

hardpan1

Sep-15

Jackie Burke Jr. called that hands position "guns down" (pointing).  The one time that Lee Trevino saw me swing was on a launch monitor and I was hooking.  He said to move my top hand thumb down 1/2" which is the same as pointing down and it Did get rid of the hooking.  Didn't help with distance at all.

RTee2

Sep-16

Many have pointed out that while Hogan described his arm position that way in Five Lessons, he didn't actually do that when playing. Well, not  for every swing, it seems. There are plenty of photos and videos showing the "pockets" of his elbows pointing more or less towards each other and not to the sky.

On an unrelated note, check out the link below.

http://www.golfwrx.com/388432/ben-hogan-was-right-golf-is-a-sidearm-game/

In reply toRe: msg 9
garyt1957gt

Sep-16

Just saw  an old video with Gary McCord doing an appearance hitting balls and talking and he laughed at how Hogan said to keep the arms together yet he actually didn't do it himself (Hogan)