Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Utility Irons/Driving irons   Golf Equipment

Started Sep-17 by HAX (CVeratanictu); 199 views.
HAX (CVeratanictu)

Sep-17

Guys, one of my last rounds of golf involved playing in 25-35 mph winds.  I will admit, initially it was a bit frustrating, but then it sort of became fun and a 'game within a game'.  I noticed a pretty severe shortcoming of my beloved Kasco K2K hybrids...they do not do well with headwinds or cross winds.  They hit the ball REALLY high and with a lot of spin, and they just get lost in the wind.  

I was curious if any of you guys use a club like the old Adams Dhy hybrids or the Callaway Utility iron or anything along those lines?  I Had a couple of the Adams clubs before (21, 24, and 27) and they were not the most forgiving and had a pretty serious 'hot spot' issue...meaning I would hit the 21* in the 210-215 range...and then out of what seems like no where, one of them would go a solid 250-260 yards.  There is a hole that has a water hazard at 250 out and I hit what was supposed to be a layup tee shot and it one hopped into the drink!  There are other instances with the Dhy where I would hit one REALLY long on a par 3...like, not just the back of the green, but like all the way over. 

I am looking for something more 'iron like' than wood like.  I want to be able to cover distances from 170-180, 190-205, and 210+ into the wind with a low flying low running bullet.  

I have looked at reviews online and on YouTube, and they all sound about the same to me.  I did notice that the Tailor-made GAPR lineup is gone replaced with the new and improved 'Dhy'...was that just them being victim of a 6 month product cycle, or was the GAPR a turd?  I see them going pretty well discounted right now.  The GAPR lo sounds like something I should absolutely NOT put in the bag, but also sounds like it is set up for the type of windy day golf I get here on the coast.

There are a couple of clubs that have my attention.  The Callaway Utility Irons, the Srixon U Series, the Mizuno MP20 HMB, and the Titleist U500 series.  I did look at one by Tour Exotics that was pretty sharp looking.  I really am not interested in all out distance as I am hitting them a consistent distance.

I am thinking of finding a setup that goes 18-20* and then 23-25* and then 27-30*. I figure that should cover the distances I want to cover.  I am also thinking of having them all built at 38.5" long and the same head weight and lie angle.  Sort of like a SL set within a set.

Any thoughts or experiences you guys have on this would be appreciated.

SwingBetter

Sep-17

If you get a set of 3 driving irons, then you don't have a Hybrid in the bag for when you need high shots. 

Driving irons are going to be less forgiving, but easier to hit low.  Maybe you only need one driving iron and replace a hybrid with it when windy.   

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Sep-17

Agreed.  I do not have many 200-220 yard approach shots.  Usually I am at 230-250 and a good lie, I will take a whack with a 3 wood or lay up.  I was thinking more for tee shots and par 3's on windy days.

I am eyeballing the Srixon ZU85 and the Mizuno MP20 HMB 2 irons to go hit once I am able to do so.  I like the looks of both.

I have also emailed Edel golf about building a 3, 4, and rebuilding my 5 iron at 39" long and getting fit to specs.  Their  3, 4, and 5 irons are 'hollow body' irons that allow a high degree of adjustment for weight and lie angles. I do not care for the 37.5" 5 iron and don't really want a 40.5" long 2 iron either.  I would then have a 'set with in a set' of Edel Irons.

flatstik (gregf82)

Sep-17

I have a GAPR right now, and It sucks.  Maybe with the right shaft it would be better, because the current shaft is horrible - KBS Hybrid.  I can get 185- 200 out of my 5 iron off the tee, and very accurately,  so I am moving on to a plain ole 4 iron.  

Charlie6D

Sep-17

Driving irons are basically just hollow body irons.  I have a couple of them with lofts of about 19* and 22* (I think).  I seldom use them because my swing speed is borderline too slow to make good use of these clubs in these lofts.

However, there are numerous hollow body irons from a variety of component sellers that have greater and more useful lofts for most people.  I have several of these in my bag.  Some are about 5 years old while others are perhaps 12-14 years old.  I'm pretty sure that hollow body iron components are still being sold today from numerous manufacturers.  It's just that they aren't usually advertised as "hollow body", but may be advertised as "game improvement" irons.  It's the same thing.  Not all game improvement irons are hollow body, but all hollow body irons are game improvement irons.

Just visit some of the component seller's websites and you should be able to find hollow body irons in just about any loft you want.  They definitely have a lower more penetrating ball flight than a "wood" type hybrid of same loft.

Charlie--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Sep-17

I figured the GAPR was a turd.  It looked unhittable.

flatstik (gregf82)

Sep-17

Well, I was stupid enough to buy it, so next time I go to PGA SS, I better take you.  But I hav this theory that it’s always the shaft, never the head.  This is probably the exception that proves the rule.

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Sep-18

I always wanted to like the Titleist 975f series of fairway woods...they were, like the GAPR, Unhittable.  Just terrible golf clubs.

Have you considered Ping Zing2 long irons?  I know they make them down to a 1-iron (16*) and I have seen them dirt cheap on EBay from time to time.

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Sep-18

I have not.  That is not a bad idea.