Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Say her name...   Futility Folder:Politics

Started Sep-23 by j (Dustdevil8); 726 views.
j (Dustdevil8)

Sep-23

https://www.insideedition.com/texas-family-mourns-mom-shot-and-killed-by-cop-who-was-aiming-for-her-dog-62013?amp=

Texas Family Mourns Mom Shot and Killed by Cop Who Was Aiming for Her Dog

"A mom of three was shot and killed by a rookie police officer aiming for her dog in Arlington, Texas. Maggie Brooks was shot in the chest by the officer, Ravi Singh, who was responding to a 911 call about an unconscious woman.

Brooks was actually lying in the shade on a blanket with her dog. When the officer approached, the dog came running, and Singh opened fire, hitting Brooks instead. The incident was recorded by Singh’s body cam."

Wasn't black, so nobody cares, I guess. Guy should have never been allowed out from behind a desk.

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-24

j (Dustdevil8) said...

https://www.insideedition.com/texas-family-mourns-mom-shot-and-killed-by-cop-who-was-aiming-for-her-dog-62013?amp=

"A mom of three was shot and killed by a rookie police officer aiming for her dog in Arlington, Texas. Maggie Brooks was shot in the chest by the officer, Ravi Singh, who was responding to a 911 call about an unconscious woman.

Brooks was actually lying in the shade on a blanket with her dog. When the officer approached, the dog came running, and Singh opened fire, hitting Brooks instead. The incident was recorded by Singh’s body cam."

Wasn't black, so nobody cares, I guess. Guy should have never been allowed out from behind a desk.

Please don't be so quick to try to play a race card.   This is certainly sad.  But the media and society don't see the actions here and Breonna Taylor (for example) as being equivalent.  IMO it isn't at all.

From a news perspective - while it shocks the conscience that a cop shot an innocent bystander who was white.   But there is no historical assumption of a conflict between whites and cops; or whites with indians.   It is similar to the way black vs black crime is treated - absent other compelling/interesting factors.   Perhaps if the story can later show that the lady was somehow in an adverse relationship to the cop that shot her - maybe it will get more news coverage and satisfy you better.

Robb

Charlie6D

Sep-24

BOGEYSBGONE said...

j (Dustdevil8) said...

Please don't be so quick to try to play a race card.   This is certainly sad.  But the media and society don't see the actions here and Breonna Taylor (for example) as being equivalent.  IMO it isn't at all.

From a news perspective - while it shocks the conscience that a cop shot an innocent bystander who was white.   But there is no historical assumption of a conflict between whites and cops; or whites with indians.   It is similar to the way black vs black crime is treated - absent other compelling/interesting factors.   Perhaps if the story can later show that the lady was somehow in an adverse relationship to the cop that shot her - maybe it will get more news coverage and satisfy you better.

Robb

If I may respond on behalf of Dustdevil8, I don't think that he was implying that this shooting happened BECAUSE of race.  I think he was saying that this is yet another example of poorly trained cops killing someone, but we just never HEARD about it because the victim was white and therefore the MSM is not interested in promoting this story.  They're interested only in promoting stories that tend to confirm the story they want told... even if it isn't true.

Charlie--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Sep-24

Officer Ravi-Singh aka diversity hire killed a perfectly good white woman. When do we riot?  Oh wait, we're not a bunch of ignorant savages and live our lives accordingly.

Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

Agree.  This is much worse.

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-24

I'm agreeing with you Charlie on all counts - IMO it doesn't get airtime b/c it's not newsworthy; not b/c it's racist...or reverse-racist.

News isn't looking at it from a poorly trained cop vs White/black; they want a white cop/black victim.  If it isn't that - it isn't interesting.

Just my opinion.

Robb

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-24

Hammer Dog (jaime59) said...

Agree.  This is much worse.

Why?  I don't think it's newsworthy.  About as interesting as black/black or white/white crime....not newsworthy.

Robb

j (Dustdevil8)

Sep-24

Perhaps part of the problem is we all only see the "interesting" stuff and over time assume that it's "normal".

Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

It’s worse because Breonna Taylor has some measure of culpability in what happened to her because she was involved in a drug ring.  Maggie Brooks, based on what was posted, was killed by a poorly trained cop.  Similarly to the woman killed in Minneapolis by the Somali affirmative action hire.  If anything, THAT should have started riots.

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-24

Hammer Dog (jaime59) said...

It’s worse because Breonna Taylor has some measure of culpability in what happened to her because she was involved in a drug ring.  Maggie Brooks, based on what was posted, was killed by a poorly trained cop.  Similarly to the woman killed in Minneapolis by the Somali affirmative action hire.  If anything, THAT should have started riots.

If you ran the newspaper then that's what you would think is important.  But we're talking about mass media today - and they don't think that's very important.  I don't disagree with you - the incidents are equivalent - yet the outrage is biased.  Or as I say - it is not equally newsworthy in the eyes of CNN et. al.

As for riots?  Riots seem to be started as a result or form of protests.  Protests are started b/c groups of people are moved to show solidarity of position perhaps (I dunno - I've never protested; and certainly never rioted).   But your statement about what should have started the riots - should properly be asked of the people - not the news.   If Maggie Brooks was white - the question is why didn't white people (or her friends/neighbors/similarly situated) feel the need to protest or riot?  That's for them to answer - not the news.   Maybe her peers felt it unnecessary, unmotivated, or dissuaded?