Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Year Did Journalism Die?   Futility Folder:Politics

Started Oct-10 by Boomslang (DaveP8); 715 views.
Boomslang (DaveP8)

Oct-10

It had been dying for a few years, but an acquaintance said it died in 2008.  Your thoughts?

Dave P

geddlemon

Oct-10

I'd say that's pretty close. It had been on life support for quite a while, but social media pulled it's plug.

I actually think that the journalism you refer to may have never actually existed.

Stoneded

Oct-10

Whatever year Clinton's blowjob became the holy grail for investigative journalism.

Burat (DocFreddie)

Oct-12

Died during the Reagan era, but was buried during the Clinton years.

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Oct-12

Walter Cronkite killed it when he said during the Tee Offensive we could not win.

Fuck him.

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Oct-12

With a whale appendage.

Dave P

j (Dustdevil8)

Oct-13

I'm going to go with 1988 with Dan Rather's interview with George H.W. Bush.

The story goes that Roger Ailes had a mole at CBS who told him Rather was going to try to take Bush out of the Presidential race with a tough interview on Iran-Contra. Ailes alerted Bush in the cab ride over and fed him the "Dan, how would you like it if I judged your entire career by those seven minutes when you walked off the set in New York?" line.

Bush immediately went up in the polls.

It was the first time I remember that a major news journalist actively tried to get rid of a candidate in a Presidential election and the first time a candidate demonstrated there was political hay to be made slamming a journalist.

BlkNGld1

Oct-13

You mean the first time you know of a journalist doing it.

There are honorable and sleazy people in every profession.  

BlkNGld1

Oct-13

I'm not sure of the when, but a couple of events come to mind.

First was the advent of cable/satellite TV.   The number of "news" channels grew at a far greater pace than the number of viewers, so you had more eaters fighting over a marginally bigger pie.   And instead of an evening news program at 6PM, now you have channels operating 24/7, so they had to find new content rather than run the same stuff over and over.   Around that time, the original networks started blurring the lines between their news and entertainment divisions.   Pandering to one point of view almost exclusively to try to build a loyal following.

Then along came the internet, and all of that just went on steroids.    It became much more about speed and sensationalism get clicks get more importance than getting both sides of a story.