Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Charlie?Advice. Need to lie to my wife?   Non-Golf Folder (General)

Started Oct-12 by BOGEYSBGONE; 782 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-12

Charlie:  I figure out of all the GEAers you'd know what to do please!  

LOL - I hope you guys can relate - or at least have a laugh at my expense.   :-)   I'm a frigging idiot.  My wife and daughter are away until December.  So I try to cook for myself - and I use an Instant Pot.  I only know how to make 2 things:   ribs; and also spaghetti sauce.  That's it.   The ribs are made by pressing the "pressure cooker" button; and the spaghetti sauce is made by pressing the "meat/stew" button.   They both take about an hour and then I have food to eat for a week.  My wife LOVES this Instant Pot - probably b/c she just has to turn to me and say "RIBS" and I go do my thing and she gets a night off from cooking!   Now - guess what?   Mr. BogeysbAbigDumbass - washed the pot - and I lost the pressure valve (it's a 1 inch piece of machined aluminum plug that looks like this):  

It's not the exact looking piece - but you get the idea:  it's just a piece of machined metal.    After 5 days - of trying to replace it - it will not fit.  My InstantPot is a Costo-version (IP Duo SV) and there are no available parts; AND IP was sold to another manufacturer last year.

I think my only choices are:

1) drill the lid so that the Amazon-part will fit.  But if it doesn't work - then I'm stuck with it.

2) return the Instant Pot to Costco and replace it (but they don't sell the same model anymore).  I'll just tell my wife that some bears broke into the house and stole the old instant pot.  

3) keep it - but I dont' know what to use as a replacement plug.  

Question:  do I need the plug?  Can I just stop-up the hole permanently?  I assume you only need it for pressure cooking, but there is a bigger steam-release-valve that is attached (I didn't lose that!) that would release the pressure?

Appreciate any constructive help here.   You're saving a life.   LOL

Robb

BlkNGld1

Oct-12

I'll avoid the embarrassment of asking you how you lost it...

But... instant pots have gotten a lot cheaper, and likely to be a holiday loss leader.   Why not just admit you broke it, and replace it?   Probably wind up somewhere between $50 and $75.   BTW, Prime Day is tomorrow ;-).   

I'd be worried about the family using something like a pressure cooker with a MacGyvered valve.    For the cost of replacing vs time involved and risk with the fix, it doesn't seem worth it.

But if your mind is made up, there's surely some instant pot groups out there that can help?

Charlie6D

Oct-12

BOGEYSBGONE said...

LOL - I hope you guys can relate - or at least have a laugh at my expense.   :-)   I'm a frigging idiot.  My wife and daughter are away until December.  So I try to cook for myself - and I use an Instant Pot.  I only know how to make 2 things:   ribs; and also spaghetti sauce.  That's it.   The ribs are made by pressing the "pressure cooker" button; and the spaghetti sauce is made by pressing the "meat/stew" button.   They both take about an hour and then I have food to eat for a week.  My wife LOVES this Instant Pot - probably b/c she just has to turn to me and say "RIBS" and I go do my thing and she gets a night off from cooking!   Now - guess what?   Mr. BogeysbAbigDumbass - washed the pot - and I lost the pressure valve (it's a 1 inch piece of machined aluminum plug that looks like this):  

It's not the exact looking piece - but you get the idea:  it's just a piece of machined metal.    After 5 days - of trying to replace it - it will not fit.  My InstantPot is a Costo-version (IP Duo SV) and there are no available parts; AND IP was sold to another manufacturer last year.

1) drill the lid so that the Amazon-part will fit.  But if it doesn't work - then I'm stuck with it.

2) return the Instant Pot to Costco and replace it (but they don't sell the same model anymore).  I'll just tell my wife that some bears broke into the house and stole the old instant pot.  

Question:  do I need the plug?  Can I just stop-up the hole permanently?  I assume you only need it for pressure cooking, but there is a bigger steam-release-valve that is attached (I didn't lose that!) that would release the pressure?

Robb

Amazon has LOTS of replacement valves for the pressure pot.  Are you sure that none will fit your pot?

If not, here is what you could do.  Try to find a valve that is for the same size pot as you currently have.  If necessary, drill out the hole in the lid to make it fit.  It should work if installed correctly.  If these pots come with a certain specified pressure rating (such as 250 psi or whatever), then try to find a valve with the same rating as your existing pot.  Do NOT get a valve with a higher pressure rating than your existing pot since that would not be safe.  The pressure rating is the main criteria. 

Do NOT even think of permanently plugging up the hole in the lid.  That would be making a bomb. 

Charlie--------------------------------------------------------------------- 

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-12

Charlie6D said...

BOGEYSBGONE said...

Robb

Amazon has LOTS of replacement valves for the pressure pot.  Are you sure that none will fit your pot?

If not, here is what you could do.  Try to find a valve that is for the same size pot as you currently have.  If necessary, drill out the hole in the lid to make it fit.  It should work if installed correctly.  If these pots come with a certain specified pressure rating (such as 250 psi or whatever), then try to find a valve with the same rating as your existing pot.  Do NOT get a valve with a higher pressure rating than your existing pot since that would not be safe.  The pressure rating is the main criteria. 

Do NOT even think of permanently plugging up the hole in the lid.  That would be making a bomb. 

Wow - glad I asked - thank you Charlie - seriously.

With some things at Costco - they have something made specially for them - and in this case the model of Instant Pot that they sold us is sold to volume resellers...and no aftermarket parts will fit.  I purchased "plugs" from 3 different sources and none of them fit.  The hole is just a little too small.  B/c of my frustration I did some internet research and as of 28 days ago (the most recent posts I could find) people were still complaining that none of the Amazon-available plugs will match.

I actually just called Costco - and they told me "it's a common problem we hear all the time - just bring it back and exchange it for a new one."    If they say so - ok - then I don't feel so bad about returning it.      But it's too bad.  For a 5 cent part - they wouldn't need to take returns.

Thank you sincerely Charlie - I don't understand how pressure cookers work apparently.  LOL  You're the best.

Robb

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-12

BlkNGld1 said...

I'll avoid the embarrassment of asking you how you lost it...

But... instant pots have gotten a lot cheaper, and likely to be a holiday loss leader.   Why not just admit you broke it, and replace it?   Probably wind up somewhere between $50 and $75.   BTW, Prime Day is tomorrow ;-).   

I'd be worried about the family using something like a pressure cooker with a MacGyvered valve.    For the cost of replacing vs time involved and risk with the fix, it doesn't seem worth it.

But if your mind is made up, there's surely some instant pot groups out there that can help?

Good advice BnG - thank you.  See my post to Charlie.  Appreciate your help.

Costco just said "return it in it's present condition - with or without a box - we get these all the time - it's ok."   ....well - ok.  

How'd I lose it?  Probably b/c I tried to be too careful and forgot.

Here's how an OCD thinker thinks.   I wanted to use the pot and then clean it.  B/c the pieces are so small - I would have tried to put them somewhere obvious and "in the way" so I don't forget.   I assume I put the 2 pieces in the middle of the kitchen counter - and then washed the lid.   Probably forgot where I put them - and swept them away somehow.  Just being an overstimulated idiot is all.

Maybe my wife won't notice that the Instant Pot has changed.   sure hope the color is the same and the buttons are the same.

Robb

Charlie6D

Oct-12

Robb,

I've done a little more research on the Instant Pot.  I think that what you lost was the Float Valve, not the Pressure Relief Valve.  The Float Valve is the little piece that pops up to let you know that the pot is pressurized.  The Pressure Relief Valve is the thing you can turn to release the pressure before removing the lid.

I'm not sure what all the safety features are on the Instant Pot, but I would think that there would HAVE to be a way for the pot to blow off steam, i.e. reduce pressure, if someone just turned on the heat and forgot about it.  That safety feature may be built into the Pressure Relief Valve which would seem to be the obvious place to put it.  Or, it might be designed to blow out that Float Valve if the pressure gets too high.

So, since it's best to err on the side of safety, I wouldn't suggest permanently plugging the Float Valve.  BTW, did you look for "Float Valves" on Amazon?  Good luck.  It sounds from your last post, however, like you got your problem solved by getting a new Instant Pot.  That's good.

The old pressure cookers used a heavy weight sitting on a little hollow stem that stuck out from the top of the lid.  Once the pressure cooker was pressurized, the weight would hiss and rumble as it bobbed up and down limiting the pressure in the cooker.  It was a simple but effective way of limiting the pressure in the cooker... providing something didn't plug up the pressure relief hole.  :)

BlkNGld1

Oct-12

Charlie

You're right... IIRC, the float valve exists to basically let the user know that the the pot is in use and pressurized so it's not opened accidentally.

BlkNGld1

Oct-12

Well, that was no fun.   I figured it went down the sink or something.   That's what I'd have done, and I'd be replacing an instant port and a disposal.

In general the one offs where special SKUs are created for warehouse clubs, etc are something to watch out for.    It allows a manufacturer to sell a large production run to a place like Costco but  in a configuration or a version that's unique and therefore can be sold at a different (lower) cost.

I've also found kitchen appliances that had a lot less power than the versions that can be had elsewhere... both in heating elements or in the motors.  Basically in house knock offs.   Or they will have all support go through Costco rather than the brand on the packaging.

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-12

Charlie:

Yes it's the float valve - it's just a solid little plug that goes up and down (I assume b/c of pressure).   There is a steam-release "twist handle" that is loosely fitted - and I assume that that is my granny's old pressure cooker pot.  It would lock the lid on-  and then there was a rattling little "top" on it like this one:  

Thanks again.  Already went to Costco and there was a line of people out the door waiting to return stuff - so I left.  Will go again later.   But thanks - very very helpful.

Robb

Charlie6D

Oct-12

You're welcome.  Any time.  Glad to help.

Charlie----------------------------------------------------