Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mask Insanity   Futility Folder:Politics

Started Oct-24 by Hammer Dog (jaime59); 710 views.
Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

While I have certainly have stated my believe on the usefulness of masks to prevent the spread of Wuhan COVID, I do want to make a clear distinction.  They should be used in circumstances where there is a realistic threat of transmission, namely in indoor environments or situations outdoors where you cannot maintain a 6' from another person for an extended period of time (15 minutes).  However, apart from the pure insanity of people wearing a mask while driving their car (alone), I see plenty of people wearing them outside when they are walking, hiking, biking, etc, with no to minimal contact with other people.  I must confess that this annoys me as there is no reason to wear a mask in these situations, and I wonder if they are simply ignorant of the risks or are just virtue-signaling.

AFH2020

Oct-24

Agree entirely. I get annoyed by stupidity too and assume it's just ignorance.

Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

I was up in your neck of the woods last weekend to visit my daughter and my wife and I did a day trip to Cape Cod. Hiked both Oceanside and Bayside trails and we were in the maskless minority, even on a sparsely populated beach.

It’s because those people think that masks work. Maybe because they heard the CDC director say that masks are better at protecting you than a vaccine.
SwingBetter

Oct-24

I have also seen people driving alone with their mask on. 
They are either paranoid or they don't trust themselves to later remember to put it on when they go to the store.    

AFH2020

Oct-24

Nice. And cases are spiking again here in MA. I'm headed to Florida where old people go. Hope you had a good trip. BTW aside from the economic loss of the shutdown, I think the absolute worst advice we've been given is to avoid even seeing family. I've ignored that entirely. I'm willing to take the risks of getting Covid and I was never going to stop seeing the kids and grandkids.

MikeJA

Oct-24

Nothing has been more painful for my wife and I during this ordeal than having only limited social distanced contact with our sons, their wives, and the grandkids.  You might have the right idea.  I'm going to give serious thought to just saying f*ck it and take the risk of contacting the virus from my family.

What we really need is a self administered covid test that would give us an instant, accurate result.

In reply toRe: msg 7
AFH2020

Oct-24

Absolutely. A sacrifice I was never willing to make. Stayed out of the office for 2 + 1/2 months just so I could be with my daughter when she had our 2nd grandchild.We have continued to see our family regularly, but we're lucky that we all live in MA. If your family has been staying safe, I certainly feel it's worth the risk.

In reply toRe: msg 7

No self administered---yet---but there is a 15 minute test that is only $5 per test.  If it was readily available, your family could test 3 consecutive days before your visit to have teh peace of mind they wouldn't infect you.

https://abbott.mediaroom.com/2020-08-26-Abbotts-Fast-5-15-Minute-Easy-to-Use-COVID-19-Antigen-Test-Receives-FDA-Emergency-Use-Authorization-Mobile-App-Displays-Test-Results-to-Help-Our-Return-to-Daily-Life-Ramping-Production-to-50-Million-Tests-a-Month

Several months ago, I read about a saliva 15 minute test, but can't find the article now.  But (according to the article) the FDA wouldn't look at it because they required 90%+ accuracy.  

The story said that even though it had a 50% false negative, it only cost pennies per test, so you could test twice a day.  The chances of consecutive false negatives decreasing with each test.  School kids could be tested before classes and before they went home every day.  Factory workers the same,  Dr's and nurses, etc.

Those are among the worst things that could be made available and would create chaos. Just treat this like the flu with some extra precautions for the elderly and otherwise compromised. Like what I have been posting here since February. Goddam we have fucked this up so badly.