Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Baseball grip = lots more speed??   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Oct-28 by BOGEYSBGONE; 689 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-28

The Orange Whip is heavy and I swing it really slowly.  And when I hold it with a normal golf grip (Vardon, not interlock) I am getting a big blister on the 4th finger knuckle near the finger nail - on the lower right hand.

I still wanted to swing the OW to stretch - so I separated my hands so that the fingers won't rub - like a baseball grip - where my hands do not affirmatively touch each other - stacked on the grip one above the other.    

And guess what?  I was able to swing the O.W. MUCH faster!   And if I separate my hands by about an inch more or so - it goes even faster and still stays on plane and gives a good stretch.   The whoosh sounded became higher pitched when swinging.

So....I tried swinging my driver with a baseball grip - and guess what?  FASTER swing speed.

What is the typical down-sides to swinging a club with a baseball grip?

Robb

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Oct-28

Nothing ..I have been doing it for years.

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-28

HAX (CVeratanictu) said...

WTH????  You've been keeping secrets!!!!   

Robb

SwingBetter

Oct-28

The baseball grip might be less accurate, due to more hand action.  

Like other changes, it may help some and not others. 

If you tend to hook, it might be worse, but might help a slice.  

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Oct-29

BOGEYSBGONE said...

HAX (CVeratanictu) said...

WTH????  You've been keeping secrets!!!!   

Robb

LOL, I've only been saying this for about 20 years!  I took a series of lessons in Iowa, and tried the overlap grip. It never EVER felt comfortable.  I just grabbed the club like a baseball bat and started hitting 7 irons with a little dinky swing, like you'd play 'pepper' with your friends during baseball season, and the control, comfort, and ability to relax my hands showed great improvement.

Over the years, I have seen my grip evolve from a 'pure' baseball grip to a 'modified' baseball grip. Instead or wrapping my left thumb around the grip as I did initially, I place it down the grip at about the 2'0 clock position.  Then I put my right hand just on top of my left thumb.  This gives me a fairly strong grip and seems to 'hold everything' together.

I am not sure how 'un-orthodox' this is or if someone else has done this before, but I feel like I have my own grip that fits me, and it works.

Good luck trying it.  I can't wait for you to try 'Kirk Junge's Set up for Impact'...and have your mind blown.

Most people don't know that an amateur named Johnny Laidlay invented the Vardon grip. 

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-29

yotsubishi (ToraMori) said...

Most people don't know that an amateur named Johnny Laidlay invented the Vardon grip. 

True.  I guess Vardon just called it "grip".

The only thing I can figure is that by gripping it hard - you reduce the effective length of the club?   But I think that is not a big concern - and can mitigate that.    It's no more than if you use a conventional grip and grip the shit out of it - it will reduce the efficiency of the club flex/path/face etc etc.   I like the extra speed from the baseball grip, definitely like the feel, and more apparent control of the club head and release.    I want to try it but it's been raining.   If it works - I'll keep it for driver - it's a different swing anyways.

The Vardon and interlock (ugh I hate that one) - feel weaker than the baseball grip.

The baseball grip also seems to give more power and control to the Toramori method.   True or not true?

Robb

I use interlock to provide some connection while keeping the right hand relaxed. I see most younger players are using it. Worked for Jack and Tiger.

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-29

yotsubishi (ToraMori) said...

I use interlock to provide some connection while keeping the right hand relaxed. I see most younger players are using it. Worked for Jack and Tiger.

I know it works for many - I learned that grip - right up until I dislocated my pinkie.  Feels like jail - never going back to it.   Have used the Vardon since it seemed to be the only other alternative.

I'm gonna try the Toramori using the baseball grip.  I'll figure it out on my own.

Robb

hookdeloft

Oct-29

Beth Daniel and, IIRC, Bob Rosburg used the 10 finger grip.  They did ok.