The Soapbox -  Is The Term 'Fetal Heartbeat Misleading? (112 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Revolution OG (revolutionog) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-5 1:05 PM 
To: All  (1 of 3) 

Doctors say laws banning abortion are based on misinformation and misleading terminology.

"When I use a stethoscope to listen to an [adult] patient's heart, the sound that I'm hearing is caused by the opening and closing of the cardiac valves," says Dr. Nisha Verma, an OB-GYN who specializes in abortion care and works at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

The sound generated by an ultrasound in very early pregnancy is quite different, she says.

"At six weeks of gestation, those valves don't exist," she explains. "The flickering that we're seeing on the ultrasound that early in the development of the pregnancy is actually electrical activity, and the sound that you 'hear' is actually manufactured by the ultrasound machine."

Read the full article here. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/09/02/1033727679/fetal-heartbeat-isnt-a-medical-term-but-its-still-used-in-laws-on-abortion

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you really want to test a mans character, give him power.

- Abraham Lincoln

http://forums.delphiforums.com/otherchatroom.

Reply   Options 

To: Revolution OG (revolutionog) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 3) 
 3301.2 in reply to 3301.1 

I love my state, and most of the time we get it right.  But the Texas Abortion Law is horrible legislation that should never have seen the light of day.  It's the result of religious zealots imposing their wills on women and relegating them to second class citizen status.

To: All 

From: Revolution OG (revolutionog) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-7 3:26 PM 
To: Clothahump DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 3) 
 3301.3 in reply to 3301.2 

I agree with you. The religious part always fascinated me. The bible specifially states that a fetus does not have the same legal rights as a living breathing person according to biblical law.

Exodus 21 22-24

“If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she has a miscarriage but there is no serious injury to the woman, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury or the woman dies, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.''

This biblical passage clearly states that the life of a fetus does not have the same legal protections as the life of the mother. I've always found that interesting. Thanks for posting.

OG

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you really want to test a mans character, give him power.

- Abraham Lincoln

http://forums.delphiforums.com/otherchatroom.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.