The Soapbox -  Labor Day-Remembering American Workers (73 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Revolution OG (revolutionog) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-6 1:52 PM 
To: All  (1 of 1) 

The Ludlow Massacre took place in Colorodo in 1914, at the mines of the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company. The workers and their families lived in tents and shacks and worked at the mine. They were paid only in company dollars, which could only be spent at the on site company stores. They were not given enough to meet their very modest needs and therefore went further into debt to the company each year (not unlike the working poor today). They were only allowed to attend the school and church provided by the company and workers were forbidden from discussing politics, their working conditions and pay, and the company they were in servitude to. When at last the workers decided to strike, they were slaughtered with bullets and fire. Around 200 men, women, and children were killed, all of them mine workers and their families.

On this day each year, lets remember the working people of the past, many of whom gave their lives fighting for a fair wage for the people who built much of this country.

''A lot more than 2,000 miles separated the Rockefeller estate from Southern Colorado when on Monday April 20, 1914, the first shot was fired at Ludlow. One of history's most dramatic confrontations between capital and labor — the so-called Ludlow Massacre — took place at the mines of the Rockefeller-owned Colorado Fuel and Iron Company (CF&I).

The face-off raged for 14 hours, during which the miners' tent colony was pelted with machine gun fire and ultimately torched by the state militia. A number of people were killed, among them two women and 11 children who suffocated in a pit they had dug under their tent. The deaths were blamed on John D. Rockefeller, Jr. For years, he would struggle to redress the situation — and strengthen the Rockefeller social conscience in the process.

Contemporary voices provide a rare window into the divide that separated the Rockefellers from some of the harsh realities tied to their business decisions. They powerfully illustrate the clashing viewpoints that were at the heart of the crisis and shed light on Rockefeller's ultimate transformation.''

read the full article here https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/rockefellers-ludlow/

Apr20family

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you really want to test a mans character, give him power.

- Abraham Lincoln

http://forums.delphiforums.com/otherchatroom.

• Edited September 6, 2021 1:57 pm  by  Revolution OG (revolutionog)

Reply   Options 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.