About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

My new journey with the big C   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 11/11/16 by Rich (lexx0); 226211 views.

Hi Rich Happy Thanksgiving Day to you and your family. Saw your post about the micro surgery. That's amazing that the surgeon can remove the cancer out in those small incisions nowadays. Wow, my girlfriend looked like a shark ate her when she had her surgery as the incision went right around her entire right side but this was back in the 90's. It's great to know that this surgery has greatly improved. The less they have to cut the easier you recover from it. So take your vitamins, mediccations and great food to get healthy and strong again. Have an awesome Thanksgiving!

Deb

Rich (lexx0)

11/25/16

Thanks Debbie, I too found it amazing, how they can get half a lung out and still clean all the bad inside surprises me, but tech didn't stop with computers eh?  Yah, my wifes' surgery to put a bypass blood vessil on a lower organ she had a 'T' cut up, down, and sideways, right though the belly button even, it was a miserable week in the hospital and 4 more at home.  Thank goodness I had a little chico dog that kept her spirits up all that time.  She's still around, knows I'm not right, just sits beside me and curls up with me for naps.  They know ;D  Rest of the week off, I've been online all night looking for a TV, figured if I'm going to live I might as well get a bigger TV, its black Friday, almost a tradition ;p  Thanks the cheer, great day down in WV for a change. I think this my folks last Thanksgiving too, they just keep hinting but hitting the 80's feeling bad everyday who can blame them.  Be well sweetie.

Rich

Dogs are such a comfort and you are so right they do know! And so do cats. Animals can be our quiet loyal supporters. I'm a retired nurse and I worked in several nursing homes and the elderly people just light up with smiles when the Humane Society ladies brought in the cuddle dogs and cats. It brought all the staff to tears to see how happy they all were. Yes get your TV as life is too short and one never knows when our number is up. I need to buy a new one as ours is on its last legs.  Rest up my friend but don't baby yourself too much as moving around prevents blood clots. Don't let yourself get constipated either right now cause that will feel like your dying so take stool softeners and mild laxatives till you are healed. Surgery always does a number on our bodies. Stay strong!

Rich (lexx0)

11/25/16

I'm all ok now, I tossed the oxy's, went back to my original stomach pill, no probs yesterday although I'm watching everything I eat, back to 202lbs so shooting for 180 before surgery. I need a new treadmill though, hate running up/down curbs with my knees. All is good, I take it you had a great Thanksgiving too?  Aye all 3 of my mutts are rescues. Chico, Dorky, and an English settler, couldn't be any diff from each other.  I finally fenced off the yard and gave them a dog door, its fun to watch them have a measured amount of freedom to run ;D

Rich

Ps, its good to see so many people keep the lights on here. You should apply with Pancake to be a forum angel ;D

In reply toRe: msg 53
Rich (lexx0)

11/25/16

Sobering fact:

ModAustinPen

11/27/16

Hi Rich,

Glad to see you on the forum sharing your story! I need to get on here more often. Thinking warm thoughts for you.

Happy Thanksgiving - a few days late!

Rich (lexx0)

11/27/16

Thanks Penny dearest for stopping by ;D

Rich

photo babywings_zpsivhjnqm3.jpg

Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

11/29/16

Hi Rich, 

I'm just starting your thread, but wanted to jump in with a big hug of support and to let you know that your description of the early days in the forum brought a chuckle or two out of me.  I know I was probably behind some of the "modding" you rec'd back then. :-)  You had a feisty group, eh?!  They make some of the best compadres, tho.  And you are so right, the mods only have one goal in mind, and that is to help everyone get clear of this addiction. Sometimes it just takes a little time and distance to see that.

I so wish the reason for this journal was a different one.  Thanks for sharing it with all of us and for giving us the chance to support you back to better health.  

One day at a time, Rich. 

((((hugs)))), T.

Rich (lexx0)

11/29/16

Thank you Terry, hehe, I'm usually a reallllly laid back person, I couldn't of been the worse, but had less patience without nic buddy on my shoulder.  I wanted to repay my quit with a new milestone, breaking C's back, so here I am.  There will be one new arrival from my personal FB page as a smoker this story scared him, one's enough, so hopefully the forum can help him.  I start chemo in 2 days and I think I'll get past it, can't believe it, glad this isn't the rule but the exception.

I love the mods here, you guys know that, I had to lay a groundwork for new scared quits that they are not alone and I always considered you, Dee, and Vicki modmothers (like fairy), you really helped me keep it together 2-4th month, its important to pay it forward.  I'll post back as I progress through treatment. Stay in touch.

Rich

In reply toRe: msg 58
Rich (lexx0)

11/29/16

Today's update chemo 101.  Stopped at UPMC and took their class, was only me and one other lady, learned all the ills, pills, and things to look out for and not ignore, got a big folder full of stuff, since I don't read I'll give it to the wife.  Anyways thanks to some notes I had taken before hand learned it won't be too bad, they are going to pump me with anti nautious meds with the chemo, gave me a cream that numbs the port site for an hour, and another pill for more energy.

Lots of side effects, uggh and I'll have to go right before Christmas for 2nd treatment, they want a strict 22 day schedule, soooo depending on stomach or energy I'll be back with the next report when I can.

QUIT SMOKING, the more you smoke the more damage and the higher risk you could end up in my shoes. The lady with me today was on O2 and her's was right in the center bronk tubes and not operational, at least as painful to have half a lung gone, it will be gone and hopefully being on a 3 month watch list of CT scans will keep it at bay.  I have non small cell which is good according to her, so we shall see.  See ya later forum, thanks for the support.

Oh Doug, the only way to early catch is maybe xray, but a CT scan catches lung cancer.  I did ask at the end of the session today.  Not a fair test as most insurance won't cover that unless you have the other symptoms.  More as I learn.

Rich