About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cazza's junkie journal   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 7/4/17 by Cazza2468; 5443 views.
Cazza2468

7/4/17

Well hello all.  

I was here a few months ago. It didn't manage to quit.  I thought I might begin a journal this time and try to be more accountable to myself.

Sooooooooop, this is day 1.  I am approximately 14 hours from my last cigarette.  So far 'cold turkey'.  I do have some patches on standby but I would prefer to clear all the nicotine from my system if I can.

On waking up, mild panic attack!  The first thing that goes through my head is to get up and get out Nd buy some cigs!  Take a few deeps breaths and try to calm myself.  Breathe! In out in out.  I manage to calm myself.  I get up and make tea and toast and take it back to bed.  I figure if I am in bed I am less likely to think of smoking. Huh, nice theory but not really working.  Breathe in, breathe out.

Still panicking!  Ok make a plan for the day.  Hang on, didn't you do that yesterday?  Oh yeah, I think I did but be dammed if I can remember what it was.

Right make a new plan now, quickly.

Breathe

Drink water

get in the shower

ok just remembered something really important.  Quitting smoking is a journey, not an event.  Just live in the moment.  Don't look too far ahead

Spicy Food.  Hot spicy food doesn't go well with smoking.  That after dinner cig never is quite that good if you have just eaten hot spicy food.  Plan hot and spicy for dinner!

ok, get up and move!  I am sure I will be back later

Caz

In reply toRe: msg 1
Cazza2468

7/4/17

16 hours down!  Was I only at 14 when I was here last.  Feels like it was 8 hours ago! How to make a day go slowly.  So I have 8 hours still to go before I can celebrate the big 1 day.

Yo I wish I was really tired so I could sleep through the nex 8 hours.

i think I better go on a big walk. Get out in the fresh air, breathe deeply and generally be distracted.

i think I will go clean my teeth again, that seems to help.

No doubt I will be back soon

caz

Neats (1146)

7/5/17

Hi Cazza, 

Welcome back and glad to see you having another bash at quitting. This addiction is horrid but you can be free if you hang in in there one day at a time. Try joining July's quit group for further support. 

You can do this grinning

In reply toRe: msg 2
Cazza2468

7/5/17

Well this really is the longest day.  I went for a 7 km walk which was very good at getting rid of cravings.  Coming up to 21 hours.  I will be so glad when it is time to go to sleep this evening.  I haven't resorted to the patches yet, but I do like the comfort of,having them if things go astray.  I am so tired of this yo yo quitting.  I just want it to be done.  Must remember not to get ahead of myself.  Live in the moment. I really haven't had much in the way of craving today.  It is more a feeling of sense of loss.  I just keep telling myself that I haven't lost anything.  I am gaining a new freedom.

Cazza2468

7/5/17

Thanks Anita

i am working hard on this quit 1 day, 1 minute at a time.  Thanks for stopping by and offering support.  I plan on doing a bit of posting in this journal

Caz

ModSue (VentasSue)

7/5/17

Hey Cazza

It's really great to see you here and congratulations on 21 hours (or, maybe, 22 now!).

You have the right idea - one day at a time or, even, one hour/minute/second is the only way to quit smoking.  Use all the tools suggested on the Forum - keep writing your Journal - talk to other quitters about the way you feel and, well, just don't smoke.  You can do this.

Cazza2468

7/5/17

Thanks Sue

soon it will be time to go to bed.  I don't think I have ever been so keen to go to bed.  By the time I get up tomorrow I will be half way to 3 days, which is my first big goal.

hugs Caz

In reply toRe: msg 7
Cazza2468

7/5/17

Day1 Done! Hooray for me.  Off to bed now.  When I wake up I will be halfway through day 2.  I ope day 2 moves a little quicker than today

Hi Cazza I saw your post and had to post to you. I took up jogging/ walking long distances 5-15km  after I was over a year quit and it was so helpful in losing the weight I gained with quitting as well as the constant anxiety/stress of the quit. Getting those deep breaths in really helps squash those smoking thoughts. I would come in from a walk and feel great and if a crave hit I would go and rinse my mouth with mouthwash or do a quick tooth brushing. I never had a cigarette right after I brushed my teeth and it helped with distracting myself. Use whatever works to get off those nasty cigarettes. They are not worth it. Remember you may think you want them BUT you do not need them to survive. Be proud to be a quitter and start your new life as an ex-smoker happy to be free of the insanity of doing the same thing over and over and over and poisoning yourself. Keep great motivating slogans running through your head and BE DONE with cigarettes once and for all. Good Luck in your journey and break that chain of addiction.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Cazza2468

7/5/17

Thanks for stopping by Debbie.  I am now at 37 hours and having a few serious cravings.  Trying some self talk, reminding myself that the craving will pass and when it does I will be glad I did not fold and go and buy cigs.

i need to have a plan for today.  I am sure I had plans before I started this but I don't know what happened to them.

ok I think I need to do a big walk again this afternoon, but WTHam I going to do with the rest of the dAy.

caz