About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cazza's junkie journal   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 7/4/17 by Cazza2468; 5503 views.
In reply toRe: msg 7
Cazza2468

7/5/17

Day1 Done! Hooray for me.  Off to bed now.  When I wake up I will be halfway through day 2.  I ope day 2 moves a little quicker than today

Hi Cazza I saw your post and had to post to you. I took up jogging/ walking long distances 5-15km  after I was over a year quit and it was so helpful in losing the weight I gained with quitting as well as the constant anxiety/stress of the quit. Getting those deep breaths in really helps squash those smoking thoughts. I would come in from a walk and feel great and if a crave hit I would go and rinse my mouth with mouthwash or do a quick tooth brushing. I never had a cigarette right after I brushed my teeth and it helped with distracting myself. Use whatever works to get off those nasty cigarettes. They are not worth it. Remember you may think you want them BUT you do not need them to survive. Be proud to be a quitter and start your new life as an ex-smoker happy to be free of the insanity of doing the same thing over and over and over and poisoning yourself. Keep great motivating slogans running through your head and BE DONE with cigarettes once and for all. Good Luck in your journey and break that chain of addiction.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Cazza2468

7/5/17

Thanks for stopping by Debbie.  I am now at 37 hours and having a few serious cravings.  Trying some self talk, reminding myself that the craving will pass and when it does I will be glad I did not fold and go and buy cigs.

i need to have a plan for today.  I am sure I had plans before I started this but I don't know what happened to them.

ok I think I need to do a big walk again this afternoon, but WTHam I going to do with the rest of the dAy.

caz

In reply toRe: msg 10
Cazza2468

7/5/17

So it 40 hours since my last cig.  This is the second day and it feels just as long as the first one was.  I am trying to think of things to eat which might make me feel better. Nothing is coming to me.  Just feeling a bit sorry for myself.  I better go walking I think

caz

In reply toRe: msg 11
Cazza2468

7/6/17

44 hours.  This day is really long.  When I look back over the day, the only bad craving I had was this morning.  It took a while to go away.  But it did go away.  I went for another 7 km walk.  I think the walking is really helping and I will try to do it most days.

caz

Neats (1146)

7/6/17

Hey Caz, 

Your doing great! 

The walking really does seem to be helping you and it is also a good exercise. Are you taking any quit aids or doing cold turkey?

Cazza2468

7/6/17

Hi Anita

i am not using any quit aids.  I did get a packet of Nic patches just in case it got too hard for me.

i M almost 48 hours, 2 full days nicotine free.  When I get through tomorrow I should be Nic free and maybe I will start to get better.

i do think the walking is really helpful and hopefully I can continue with it ever day.

thAnks for checking in on me

Caz

In reply toRe: msg 14
Cazza2468

7/6/17

Well looky here, 60 hours!

i have started my 3rd day nicotine free.  I am feeling pretty good at the moment apart from some gastric reflux which I have basically had all week.  I started taking my pill for it because it doesn't seem to want to go away.  I wondering if I have some anxiety with quitting.  Maybe anxiety is what causes my gastric reflux.  Normally I wouldn't get it more than once a month but everyday is a bit hard to put up with.

i think I only had 1 craving yesterday and none today ,so far.  I even has a bit of an argument on the phone and just felt a bit of a reminder that I used to smoke,  no craving.  Pretty happy with that.

so today's plan is more walking and do a little house work

i am going away next Tuesday for a week.  The first half I will be staying with non smokers but the last 2 days I am staying with a smoker.  I have already told them I will not be smoking so hoping that will help me to get through those 2 days

Caz

HI Cazza yes the "anxiety / stress of quitting" is causing you more gastric problems. It is common for many quitters. I had it bad and it finally totally went away at the one year mark. You are doing awesome!! Keep taking those walks and also go out to places where you can't smoke and places you just didn't go to as a smoker. This is a One Day At A Time process. We cannot rush the days so just stay distracted with other fun things. I know it gets extremely frustrating but remember we gave cigarettes many years now we must give our brain the time it needs to rewire and rearrange our memories and thought process plus rid our bodies of all those poisons from all those years of smoking. It truly will get easier to stay quit as long as you don't fall for the "just one " thinking.  Take a read of my journal under the Quit Stories and Journals folder called Deb's Quit Journal. I have my entire struggle to freedom written out. Writing a journal helps you see how far you have come so keep this up. We must stay stubborn and never surrender to the craves otherwise we are back being a drug addict again. I feel proud of myself for finally doing it and you will too! So keep on going!!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Cazza2468

7/6/17

Thanks for you on going support.  I am definitely going to go and check out your journal 

Caz