About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

It's not too late. Need help.   Quit Support

Started Nov-28 by Bev_1977; 1243 views.
Bev_1977

Nov-28

I have been sick for the past week and a half. It started with sneezing and a running nose, then it moved to my throat. I was coughing like crazy, but kept smoking through it. There were many times I had to put cigarettes out because I couldn't tolerate the inhale.

Well, I started to get a little better, but the congestion was still there. I went to urgent care yesterday and the doctor was worried I may have pneumonia, so he ordered a chest x-ray. I was scared. I was waiting to hear there were tumors. Well, he told me there was no pneumonia and that it was just bronchitis. He coached me on quitting. He said that with the combination of inhaler, antibiotic, steroid, and smoking cessation, I will get clear up and get better.

I smoked my last cigarette at 5:05 am this morning. I want to keep this quit. I have been craving and have chewed 2 pieces of 4 mg gum (an hour apart) so far.

I need support. I don't want to develop a smoking related illness if I can help it. I have been very lucky so far.

Bev

Quit November 28, 2017

2 hours, 57 minutes and 27 seconds. 2 cigarettes not smoked, saving $0.25. Life saved: 10 minutes.

SueP (josep2001)

Nov-28

Bev, You can do this.

You do not want a smoke related illness. Quit smoking and get rid of that bronchitis.

Is a shame your boyfriend will not quit with you - just if he lights up, walk away and he will get the message not to smoke around you.

Do it for you and do it for your kids.

sue quit 3/17/2016

Bev_1977

Nov-28

Sue,

I will stay strong this time. I can feel a difference in my chest from cessation and using the inhaler. I do not want pneumonia. I found a job after a long struggle. I can't let my health get in the way. 

My boyfriend is being supportive. He started smoking outside this morning. We live in separate apartments in the same building. He knows I will leave if he makes me mad.

Bev

Quit November 28, 2017

3 hours, 56 minutes and 9 seconds. 3 cigarettes not smoked, saving $0.33. Life saved: 15 minutes.

ModSue (VentasSue)

Nov-28

Hey Bev

It's good to see you again.  Look on this as your very last wake-up call.  None of us want to become dependent on others due to ill-health but, unfortunately, that is often the case with smoking related illnesses.  It was purely that fear which made me quit.  Just like you, I'd had a bad cold which became a chest infection and I woke up struggling to breathe.  It was just like a moment of clarity and, after 52 years of heavy smoking with no desire to quit, I decided that quit I must.  I found this Forum by pure chance by Googling 'Quitting Smoking'.  It enabled me to quit cold turkey after two days of preparation and following the advice I was given as I learned more about my addiction here.  As you know, I've never looked back and, fingers crossed, to date I don't seem to have ruined my health.

I know I drone on about it but the amount of unexpected benefits which I have been blessed with since I quit have just made it impossible for me to ever consider smoking again.  I now love life and I now love me (warts and all and there are quite a few of them!!).  We need self-respect and quitting has definitely given me this.

Make this your last quit.  We're all here wanting to help you and we all know that you can do it.  You will love being smoke-free!

SueP (josep2001)

Nov-28

Good to hear Bev - keep it going.

sue quit 3/17/2016

Hi Bev,

Welcome back.  

You are still fairly young and if you quit now, your body may heal itself like you never smoked.  You can quit, Bev.  I know you can do it.  Use every tool you learned here.

One day at a time is the way. 

DJ (colbymorty)

Nov-28

Hi Bev,

It took a ride in the ambulance and a day in the ER to rule out a possible heart attack for me to quit.  I never thought this would happen to me.  I kept pushing the envelope.  Just one more day one more day.  I was is denial. I had 2 atomizers.  That just prolonged my smoking.  

Please be mindful that your lungs and heart are speaking to you. Quit then take it day by day. I think someone on this forum posted not to worry about tomorrow by jeopardizing the quit today.  - something like that-it's true.  

Keep posting.  Don't be shy about asking for help.  I need it also. Here for you

Best

Deanne 

Msg 2939.8 deleted
Noel001

Nov-28

Hang in there, you can do it !   You won't get the types of colds and bronchitis incidents that you describe if you are able to stop cigarettes. I just quit in beg. of Sept By now, every year for the past 15-20 years I'd get bronchitis in the fall. Not this time. it's only been three months and coughing is almost gone. I sleep really quietly, I don't phlem-laugh or have the first word in a  sentence come out unexpectedly and embarrassingly  crackly.   I remember coughing so much I'd be awake for hours at night, i'd keep my non-smoking husband awake, The violent coughing makes your body do other undesireable things that are embarrassing. And I'd know anyone who knew me and had to endure listening to the symptoms for weeks on end also knew it was a lot my own doing that a simple virus would become so dramatic. You look young. Maybe it will take a little longer but you are trying and you want to !!!! That's a great start:) Fingers crossed for you !! 

Bev_1977

Nov-29

Thank you, Marge.

I am hanging in there.

Bev

Quit November 28, 2017

One day, 5 hours, 27 minutes and 45 seconds. 24 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2.45. Life saved: 2 hours, 0 minutes.