About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome December 2017 Ex-Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 11/29/17 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 57523 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)
mirosa

12/7/17

I like  so much  your post. My quitting day is set up for Monday 1-11-17!  I am on Chantix.  I've started taking it on first so it's gonna be 11th day on Monday. I am still smoking and taking the pills hoping for miracle!

Wish me luck every body third time s a charm!

Mirosa

ModMarge (slowblumer)

12/7/17

Good Morning, Mirosa,

How ever many times it takes, don't give up on quitting.  It is literally like going to war against a very strong adversary.  We are fighting for our lives and we need every tool we can find to beat it.  I think I already told you that I was a 40 yr smoker too.  Every time I breathed deeply I hear that rattle.  Do you believe it, I no longer have it. Now that is a miracle!  Way to go, Mirosa.

Understanding Nicotine Addiction
The effects of nicotine on the human body create dependency through chemical reactions in the brain.

'Addiction Steals Our Right to Choose - None of us started smoking thinking we'd lose our right to choose, but that's exactly what nicotine addiction does to us. The associations we build up over time slowly weave their way through every activity in our lives until we can't think of doing anything without our cigarettes. This habit is insidious and tenacious, and millions of lives are lost every year worldwide to it'.

ellie (elb1002)

12/7/17

Good luck Mirosa! Quitting aids have given me the most success by far but I've never tried Chantix.

Today is day 4 for me with 14mg patches, and gum on my way home from work. Cognitive quitting helped me realize that part of my trigger after work is just physically leaving the office, the routine usually associated with a long awaited cigarette. I also have about some tabs from verywell.com articles open and am reading those.

Yesterday and this morning were tough physically. Tightness in the chest and generally out of it. Last time I relapsed it was because absolutely nothing was wrong and I was two weeks smoke free, however, so I know I can't let up whether it's a good day or a bad day or a normal day. I'm glad to be here. Wishing you the best as Monday comes!

In reply toRe: msg 48
ModMarge (slowblumer)

12/7/17

Hi December Ex-Smokers.

If anyone have any name suggestions for your permanent Group Name, click on the link below.

Have a good smoke free evening.

In reply toRe: msg 49
ModMarge (slowblumer)

12/7/17

Hi everyone,

This information will help you in  getting around here at the forum.

Forum Navigation Basics

1. Take a look to the left at the DISCUSSIONS section to the left of this page

• Click on the drop down menu in grayed area immediately beneath it.
  • If you click on All you will see all the folder category folders like, Introduction/Newcomers Nook, Quit Buddies Unite, Forum Navigation and Rules, General Chit-Chat etc. When you scroll down the system shows you if there are new messages (bold text) in the thread. 
  • Hierarchy of threads (discussions) within a folder: threads are sorted within a folder by the latest date/hour of a post within thread. If you click on a thread without a new message the system will take you to the beginning of the thread.
  • When you click on the drop down menu you can also select things like

Unread to me (messages to you waiting to be read).

• When you log in to the forum, the "DISCUSSIONS" section will show the "Unread Msgs" category at the top of the discussions area. Beneath the "Unread Msgs" title will be all the folders containing unread messages since your last visit, starting with the Introductions/Newcomers Nook folder. When you scroll down to for example the "Quit Buddies Unite" folder if there are no new messages in your quit buddies group it is not going to be at the top of quit buddies unite category. Continue to scroll down past all the quit buddies folders that have new messages (they are in bold text) until you find your group.

2. Click on the drop down menu on your profile picture/avatar at the top right of the page. Review the content of each one.

• My Profile Photo ( you can add or change your avatar or photo)
  • My Profile
  • My preference
  • My Account
  • Help
  • Logout

3. Please familiarize your self with the Help button contents

This is where you can browse Delphi FAQs for general information, or post a question in one of the Support Forums, where Delphi staff, volunteers, and knowledgeable members are happy to lend a hand. You will also find "How To" guides that are fully illustrated tutorials that show you exactly how things work on Delphi forums

4. When you click on a folder heading like "Quit Buddies Unite' to read or post, the gray drop down menu under the DISCUSSIONS section changes to "Single folder". Once you've finish what you're doing in that folder to see all the folder headings again, click on the gray drop down menu under DISCUSSIONS and click on ALL which will bring up all the folder titles.

5. Education about our addiction and the cessation process is a major component of a successful permanent quit. Take a look at the articles in the link below they were written especially for new ex-smokers.

Homework For New Ex-Smokers

http://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/5/1

Personal Signatures

There are 3 levels of membership at Delphi forums - DelphiBasic (free), DelpiExtra ($19.95 per year) and DelphiPlus ($4.95 per month). Only the two paid tiers (DelphiExtra and DelphiPlus) allow you to carry a signature field that you can customize with graphics. The two paid subscriptions also allow you to browse forums ad-free.

You can take a look at a comparison chart of the plans here:

http://www.delphiforums.com/compareplans.ptt

Please feel free ask any question and to join in any discussion on the forum that interests you.

6. Familiarize yourself with the other folders in the Forum Navigation and Rules Category. They will help you with more information on finding your way around the forum.

((((((Hugs))))))

Dee

SueP (josep2001)

12/7/17

Hi Elb,

This journey that we are on is like a roller coaster  some days will be good, some not too bad and others down right bad. We have to remember the good days on those bad days. Remember each day to make it your goal to go to bed smoke free that night.. Try to keep you mind and body busy, that is the only way I kept my mind off of smoking. And do not forget the powerful triggers - HALT - hunger, anger, lonely and tired - most of the craves fit into one of those. Another on to overcome is the reward smoke - have to come up with things you can do after you finish something or come home from somewhere when you normally would have a smoke.

We have to learn to live life as a non smokers - people handle life all the time without smoking and we have to learn that.

Hope you have a great smoke free night....sue quit 3/17/2016

mirosa

12/8/17

Hi Insidious indeed I agree!!! when I am sad. happy go to sleep make a phone call, start my car after shower after meal!!!  always cigarette.

Time to quit!!

ModMarge (slowblumer)

12/8/17

Hi Mirosa,

I never realized just how insidious nicotine addiction was until I quit smoking.  Breaking free is not easy but it is the best(very best) thing I have ever done for myself,

Nicotine Addiction Steals Our Right to Choose

We didn't realize the tremendous commitment we were signing onto when we smoked that first cigarette all of those years ago.

We had no idea that by the time we'd finished our first pack of cigarettes, we'd lit the fire under an addiction that would demand to be fed 20 or more times a day, day in and day out, no matter what.

We didn't know that we had taken an action that would require us to devote years upon years of our lives and thousands upon thousands of dollars to smoking.

In reply toRe: msg 53
ModMarge (slowblumer)

12/8/17

Hi December Ex-Smokers,

If you look under the Discussions column on the left and scroll down, you will see a thread called, 'One Year and Beyond Milestones'.  Below is one of the milestone posts in that thread.  There are many inspirational posts Under that heading- a must for recent quitters to see you are not alone in your struggles.  

Read Caroline's story:

From oktoday15112011:

I'm tired out, it's been a long old day and it's bedtime for me in the UK.  However I have had a great day and I really want to post my one year milestone because I am so full of gratitude to you all, particularly the people who have started and kept the forum going, you have saved my life.

May 2011 I was full of fear, I believed I was different from other smokers.  I was much more addicted.  Nobody that I spoke to, especially healthcare professionals understood how hard this was for me.  I'm not really sure what I was afraid of but the FEAR was HUGE. 

I managed to quit for 3 weeks using patches and then went cold turkey when I was on holiday in June.  Ask my poor hubby who was also quitting, it was the holiday from hell, or should I say I was a demon from hell.  No I did NOT find nicotine withdrawal easy and I was going to make sure he knew about it!

In July I moved house and suffered terrible paranoia about how I made a wrong decision and that the house had huge insurmountable problems. 

August?  Who knows, fairly deep into myself, staring into space, bit bonkers.

September, my son left for uni and I was left with huge empty nest syndrome.  I couldnt cope with all the changes and ended up going to my doctor for antidpressants.

In October time I found this forum and read and read what people were posting.  I loved it, I identified with people, and there were others like me who seemed to have the same intense relationship with nicotine.   This is not about changing a dirty unpleasant habit.  For me and others I have met here, it is about parting from a good friend, my reliable buddy nico who was always there when I needed him.  I was grieving and I was so SAD.

November 15th, six months after my last cigarette, I finally felt well enough to post on this forum for the first time and I got feedback from you lovely people.

Since then I have learned even more about my addiction, that I have to re-train my brain to cope with every single activity in my life without a smoke.  I used to reach for a smoke in the morning when my alarm went off and I used to put out the last smoke as I turned my light off at night.  Every action in between was accompanied by or interspersed by a smoke.  So the first few months were hard, how do I drive to London without a smoke?  But I did it and then I drove further without a smoke.  What do you do in between tasks if you don't smoke?  How do you make a decision if you don't smoke?  How do you reward yourself for a task completed if you don't smoke?  Yes I spent a lot of time standing around feeling confused!

I am here to say that at 12 months smoke FREE, it is getting easier.  I have felt a turning point in the last month and I have no desire to smoke.  That's not to say that in a moment of trauma or complacency I won't be tempted, which is why I believe I need to keep coming back here to read posts by new quitters to remind myself of why I quit.  I now believe this is possible, that ONE DAY AT A TIME we never have to smoke again.  Thank you everyone and good luck.

Caroline

In reply toRe: msg 54
ModMarge (slowblumer)

12/9/17

Hi December Ex-Smokers,

As soon as we quit smoking, our bodies begin to heal.  Check out this ex-smokers account of all the benefits she realized at 6 months smoke free.  Dig your heels in.  You will never regret it.

'During her first six months of smoking cessation, ex-smoker EB detailed the following improvements she has experienced. There will be plenty more to come, but this is sure a great start'.