About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome December 2017 Ex-Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-29 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 6239 views.
SueP (josep2001)

Dec-2

No problem Lynn, but you can post out to the new folks as they post. As Marge said you need to support of quit buddies for the same month . 

Not meaning we an not post , but reach out to others also. I think Bev will be back soon also.

sue quit 3/17/2016

Lynn (Tx38special)

Dec-2

Thanks Sue,

I'm in the bedroom, he's in the living room, for now. The gum is helping. When I get a crave I just pop one in my mouth and go with it.

Take care Sue, hope you have a great smoke free evening. 

Hugs, Lynn

SueP (josep2001)

Dec-2

You also Lynn....sue quit 3/17/2016

In reply toRe: msg 23
Douglas8845

Dec-3

Welcome to all December quitters.  I smoked my last cigarette at 6:26 PM on July 23rd 2012.  With the help of Allen Carr's book - The EZway to Stop Smoking, the patch (for 4 weeks) and this forum my, quit was successful.  I smoked 26 Marlboro 100 reds every day for over 30 years.  That amounted to almost 10,000 cigarettes and over $3,000 per year.  At the point I am at, I've not smoked over 50,000 cigarettes and saved over $15,000... almost enough money to buy a new compact car.

My group was strong and we likened ourselves to passengers on a ship headed to a wonderful place.  The place is called A Smoke Free Life.  Many became afraid of this strange destination  and soon after the ship left port they jumped into the water and swam back to shore.  Further into the trip others, missing their lives in Smokers Land used lifeboats to return to the place where they felt most comfortable. 

A few kept looking forward even when the journey became tempestuous and uncomfortable.  I was one of those who persisted and made it to A Smoke Free Life.  It is much better here.  I feel stronger, smarter, more alive, wealthier and healthier.  I will never go back to Smokers Land.  It is too far for me to even see from here, but in the distance I can still make out the toxic cloud that envelops the place from where I came.

You are now on your own journey to A Smoke Free Life.  Stay on board, don't look back.  There will be stormy moments during your crossing but trust yourself and you will reach this magic land from where I write these words.  When you do, all those who made it before will be there to welcome you.

You can do this.

SueP (josep2001)

Dec-3

Hi Douglas,

That was very well written . I hope all folks quitting read it and really think about it.

I think I will bookmark your post so that I can refer newbies to it, if you have not objections.

Thanks for posting....sue quit 3/17/2016

Hi Lynn,

Wondering how you are doing today?

Hi Miss Mo,

Saw you in the Nope pledge yesterday. It's a wonderful way to begin the day.   Check out this article.  I remember reading it the first day i came to the forum and it helped me to identify when and why i was having intense cravings.

When an urge to smoke hits, think HALT :                  

'Years of smoking have taught us to react to literally everything by lighting a cigarette'.

'When we were happy, we'd celebrate by lighting up. When we got angry, smoking would calm us down—or so we thought. Tired? Smoke a cigarette to stay awake. Hungry? Feed yourself a smoke. This list goes on and on'.

elb1002

Dec-4

Hi everyone,

Today is day 1. Last month I got to two weeks smoke-free -- the longest I've gone without smoking for about five years. I'm using the patch and gum, but since I've relapsed I'm not sure how to proceed other than to pick up where I left off with the patch (I'm down to 14 mg now). I went back to smoking slightly less than 1 pack per day within two days and went right back to not being able to taste or smell very well. I think this community could really help me. I've loved reading ex-smokers' stories and learning more about cognitive quitting, though I haven't made lists or done any check-ins with myself today. 

I'm starting to wrap my head around "not even one puff." I fall into the usual trap of wanting one, then buying a pack, then feeling like I have to smoke the pack, or I want to smoke the pack and then I can quit. I have this romantic idea of smoking alone, feeling above and beyond the world, and it 100% does not exist in reality. There's no such thing as just one for me.

I turned 26 two months ago. I'm remember quite clearly that I was trying to quit for my 25th birthday, then a year passed, one "I'll quit tomorrow/later/nextweek" at a time. 

I want to be done with this. Glad to know others are here and I'm not alone!

Ellie

Lynn (Tx38special)

Dec-4

Not doing any good Marge. I have been smoking today. It's such a tough battle for me. I will try again tomorrow.  Thanks for checking on me. 

Hugs, Lynn

SueP (josep2001)

Dec-4

Hi Ellie and welcome to the forum.

No you are not alone  - this forum is filled with people doing the same thing you are -kicking the nicotine habit. Don't worry we do not judge each other - here only to support each other.

Be sure to read all you cane here on the December thread but any place you want to.

One of the moderators will be by, may not be until the morning, but if you need help before that just come on here and yell out for help. ... usually someone around since we have people from all over the world.

Do not know if you know about 4 strong triggers HALT - hunger, anger, loneliness, tiredness. So when you get a strong craving stop and thing if one of those apply and see if can correct the situation.

Hope you have a great smoke free night....sue quit 3/17/2016