About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome December 2017 Ex-Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-29 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 2547 views.
Lynn (Tx38special)

Dec-5

I can't quit today, maybe tomorrow. Sorry

Hi Lynn,

This is your quit in your time.  Nicotine addiction is so insidious,  I remember one quit buddy saying that she wished they would lock her up in a treatment center for 3 months so she could not smoke even if she wanted to.   I had similar thoughts for 4 months.  

'As smokers, we live in denial about what cigarettes are doing to us'.

'We have to, otherwise, there would be no comfort in smoking, no relief...no pleasure'.

'We all have plenty of reasons to quit smoking, yet, we just can't seem to do it. Nicotine addiction does that to a person'.              

In reply toRe: msg 42

Hi everyone,

Ex-smoker, Leslie wrote a great piece with her, 'ten steps to success'.  Check it out.

"I held on with both hands and all my heart to one thing that a man who was one of my dearest friends told me. He told me this:

You think you love to smoke and you think it is so important to your happiness, but when you quit (and I know you will), you will find out that all that happiness associated with smoking is a lie. It’s a cheap carnival trick. It is nothing more than smoke and mirrors".

Bev_1977

Dec-6

Marge,

My quit has been delayed. Tomorrow is the day.

Bev

Hi Bev,

It's good to hear that.   You can do this and we will be here to support you when you are ready.

mirosa

Dec-7

I like  so much  your post. My quitting day is set up for Monday 1-11-17!  I am on Chantix.  I've started taking it on first so it's gonna be 11th day on Monday. I am still smoking and taking the pills hoping for miracle!

Wish me luck every body third time s a charm!

Mirosa

Good Morning, Mirosa,

How ever many times it takes, don't give up on quitting.  It is literally like going to war against a very strong adversary.  We are fighting for our lives and we need every tool we can find to beat it.  I think I already told you that I was a 40 yr smoker too.  Every time I breathed deeply I hear that rattle.  Do you believe it, I no longer have it. Now that is a miracle!  Way to go, Mirosa.

Understanding Nicotine Addiction
The effects of nicotine on the human body create dependency through chemical reactions in the brain.

'Addiction Steals Our Right to Choose - None of us started smoking thinking we'd lose our right to choose, but that's exactly what nicotine addiction does to us. The associations we build up over time slowly weave their way through every activity in our lives until we can't think of doing anything without our cigarettes. This habit is insidious and tenacious, and millions of lives are lost every year worldwide to it'.

elb1002

Dec-7

Good luck Mirosa! Quitting aids have given me the most success by far but I've never tried Chantix.

Today is day 4 for me with 14mg patches, and gum on my way home from work. Cognitive quitting helped me realize that part of my trigger after work is just physically leaving the office, the routine usually associated with a long awaited cigarette. I also have about some tabs from verywell.com articles open and am reading those.

Yesterday and this morning were tough physically. Tightness in the chest and generally out of it. Last time I relapsed it was because absolutely nothing was wrong and I was two weeks smoke free, however, so I know I can't let up whether it's a good day or a bad day or a normal day. I'm glad to be here. Wishing you the best as Monday comes!

In reply toRe: msg 48

Hi December Ex-Smokers.

If anyone have any name suggestions for your permanent Group Name, click on the link below.

Have a good smoke free evening.

In reply toRe: msg 49

Hi everyone,

This information will help you in  getting around here at the forum.

Forum Navigation Basics

1. Take a look to the left at the DISCUSSIONS section to the left of this page

• Click on the drop down menu in grayed area immediately beneath it.
  • If you click on All you will see all the folder category folders like, Introduction/Newcomers Nook, Quit Buddies Unite, Forum Navigation and Rules, General Chit-Chat etc. When you scroll down the system shows you if there are new messages (bold text) in the thread. 
  • Hierarchy of threads (discussions) within a folder: threads are sorted within a folder by the latest date/hour of a post within thread. If you click on a thread without a new message the system will take you to the beginning of the thread.
  • When you click on the drop down menu you can also select things like

Unread to me (messages to you waiting to be read).

• When you log in to the forum, the "DISCUSSIONS" section will show the "Unread Msgs" category at the top of the discussions area. Beneath the "Unread Msgs" title will be all the folders containing unread messages since your last visit, starting with the Introductions/Newcomers Nook folder. When you scroll down to for example the "Quit Buddies Unite" folder if there are no new messages in your quit buddies group it is not going to be at the top of quit buddies unite category. Continue to scroll down past all the quit buddies folders that have new messages (they are in bold text) until you find your group.

2. Click on the drop down menu on your profile picture/avatar at the top right of the page. Review the content of each one.

• My Profile Photo ( you can add or change your avatar or photo)
  • My Profile
  • My preference
  • My Account
  • Help
  • Logout

3. Please familiarize your self with the Help button contents

This is where you can browse Delphi FAQs for general information, or post a question in one of the Support Forums, where Delphi staff, volunteers, and knowledgeable members are happy to lend a hand. You will also find "How To" guides that are fully illustrated tutorials that show you exactly how things work on Delphi forums

4. When you click on a folder heading like "Quit Buddies Unite' to read or post, the gray drop down menu under the DISCUSSIONS section changes to "Single folder". Once you've finish what you're doing in that folder to see all the folder headings again, click on the gray drop down menu under DISCUSSIONS and click on ALL which will bring up all the folder titles.

5. Education about our addiction and the cessation process is a major component of a successful permanent quit. Take a look at the articles in the link below they were written especially for new ex-smokers.

Homework For New Ex-Smokers

http://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/5/1

Personal Signatures

There are 3 levels of membership at Delphi forums - DelphiBasic (free), DelpiExtra ($19.95 per year) and DelphiPlus ($4.95 per month). Only the two paid tiers (DelphiExtra and DelphiPlus) allow you to carry a signature field that you can customize with graphics. The two paid subscriptions also allow you to browse forums ad-free.

You can take a look at a comparison chart of the plans here:

http://www.delphiforums.com/compareplans.ptt

Please feel free ask any question and to join in any discussion on the forum that interests you.

6. Familiarize yourself with the other folders in the Forum Navigation and Rules Category. They will help you with more information on finding your way around the forum.

((((((Hugs))))))

Dee