About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Having a Hard Time   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Dec-7 by Mercy (mercy164); 551 views.
Mercy (mercy164)

Dec-7

I don't know what hit me, but I feel as though I am right back at the first month of my quit. Everything got really hard all of a sudden. I am having urges that last a long time as well. It is giving me anxiety. I am at 4 1/2 months. Is this supposed to happen? I hate it.

Mercy

Hi Mercy,

After I read your post I went back to my journal to get an idea of exactly where my head was a 4-5  months.  I was in mourning and had feelings of grief, loss and emptiness.   I was going through a phase in the journey where I was battling with the acceptance  that I will never smoke again.   At that time I truly believed that the mental pain part would never go away.  On a smaller scale of course, It reminded me of all the stages of grief I experienced when I lost a loved one.  The good news is that the mental pain did fade and eventually I wondered how I could have felt such loss over a cigarette.   My brain was healing.

ModSue (VentasSue)

Dec-7

Hey Mercy

As Marge says, what you're feeling is perfectly normal. 

However, I think I read earlier that you have been working really long, hard hours recently and you haven't been able to get any time for yourself.  I know it's difficult at times as everyone has to earn a living but do try to avoid the Hungry/Angry/Lonely/Tired triggers.  All of these are more likely to appear when your workload is demanding but do try to take care of yourself.

It's great, though, that you have posted here about how you are feeling.  Never hesitate to come here and ask for help when you need it.

You're doing great and, obviously, nurturing your precious quit.  Four and a half months is a long time but your brain will still be working through all the different situations which trigger the urge to smoke.  

Keep going - it will get better and you'll start to feel more peace soon but, meanwhile, be kind to yourself.

Mercy (mercy164)

Dec-7

Thank you Marge for writing.

Mercy (mercy164)

Dec-7

Hi Sue,

You might be right about not caring for myself. It has caught up with me this week. Maybe that is a major factor. I am done with school and have decided to take a year off to take better care of myself. I need to learn how to do that because I never have.

Mercy

Noel001

Dec-7

I hear you. It's SO annoying!  I'm at three months and both yesterday and today I've had some really intense cravings and I don't know why. Nothing's wrong. I just really want a cigarette.  I was going to have one last night. But I figured I'm comfortable, not in any pain, physically or emotionally. I clearly had moments of happiness laughing out loud. My hair looks good. I'm not any fatter than I was last week. I have a job. My husband is healthy, happy and handsome. My grandchildren are amazing. The new Eminem album is coming out next week. I can have  one glass of wine with supper and still get 3/4 of a buzz. the cigarette dessert is noticeably missing but that's just too bad for me. And if at some point I can't handle it cigarettes are readily available and I'll just have one. but yesterday, and today I'm just going to deal. I don't get it and I don't like it. but I think almost everyone quitting has this happen for probably kind of a long time. 

ModSue (VentasSue)

Dec-8

Hey Mercy and Noel

I've just taken a leaf out of Marge's book and looked at my quit file around three and four months.  I was never truly content - always felt like 'something was missing' and constantly had a knotted, uncomfortable feeling in my stomach.  The intense craving had passed but the peace had still not arrived.

Be kind to yourselves and just remember it's a day at a time - that's all you need to worry about.

An 'Attitude of Gratitude' is definitely the way forward during this stage of your quits.

CC to Noel001
Noel001

Dec-8

thanks for looking back in our notes about that!!   I think it's so cute that some people keep a file:)  I know you are supposed to do that.  I'm too lazy for that-lol.  On this end today's better so far. I am actually looking forward to doing a little Christmas shopping at lunch break. Since shopping and smoking always went hand in hand for me,  I have not looked forward to shopping for anything but wine, coffee or hairspray since I quit:) so I'll take this as a good sign!

2tandingtall

Dec-8

Hi Mercy

so happy to hear you have 4.5 months! Fricken awesome

so question: were you on NRT?  How long have you been off?

it takes about 12 to 14 weeks for your brain to rewire itself without any nicotine.

that said quitting is a journey..... it takes about one year to be completely past this addiction. It gets better every month but you need to be patient and expect both good and bad periods during the first year

Whatever you do - don't smoke now - as it will reset the 'one year clock'. One cigarette is all that it takes

get exercise, take vitamins, get regular sleep, reward yourself. Your doing awesome

best

fran2enyc

Dec-8

Hi Mercy, just want to let you know I really am feeling like you are .  I dreamed I was smoking only last night but I woke up and was so glad it was a dream. I just thought that our group was doing so good so I didn't want to bring up the crazy smoking thoughts I have been having also. I have to say I haven't been wearing the patch for the last 5 days but I am chewing the 4 mg gum.  Maybe its the holidays but the urge seems to be stronger and I am on 150 days no smoking and still fighting with my brain. Hang in there Mercy  they say it will get better I mean it has a little but I want so much to be free of fighting with my brain. Stay strong my friend

Fran quit July 11, 2017