About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

SENSATIONAL SENIORS   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 1218525 views.
Cocoa60

Mar-8

Morning Cherie.  Glad we are still here smoke free.  I spent some time on the

elliptical and walked 5 miles with Brandy before the parade so just walked to

the end of the parade route and stayed there.  Was great to see my grands out there.

Only ever saw 34 degrees here yesterday, 45 would have been better, was sunny

though.  We never did get the couple inches of snow they predicted, was for Friday,

I think.  Snowed just a little.

It's terrible when my friends leave this earth, especially Cocoa and her mom, Princess.

Sometimes Brandy barks at people and animals but has never been mean to anything.

Cocoa like to protect our area, where ever we where.  She would fight with other dogs.

Hope you enjoy your parade.  We are going North for niece's baby shower this morning,

will be up there for a couple days.  Supposed to get much warmer this afternoon.

Have a great day.

Ernie

Think their lives would have been much worse if I hadn't taken care of them. 

cherbearquit

Mar-8

Good morning Ernie. It got up to around 48 yesterday, so I was able to go for a nice relaxing walk. Oh how wonderful it feels to enjoy the sunshine and fresh outdoor air as a non-smoker! Also got some cleaning done and watched some shows that I recorded earlier in the week. That is great that you got to see the grands at the parade. Now off to a baby shower. What a great family-oriented weekend! It is sunny, the birds are chirping, and I am looking forward to walking today! I love this kind of weather! I need to do a little shopping today also, since I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor tomorrow. I am sure he will be happy to see that I am still a non-smoker and managed to lose weight. I lost 17 pounds since the beginning of December. This surprised me, because most times weight gain is associated with smoking cessation. But, I changed my diet to healthier foods and made sure I wasn’t eating to replace smoking. Instead of sugary or salty snacks I stuck with fruit or celery sticks. Well I hope you are also enjoying sunshine today. Have a great day!

Cherie

Cocoa60

Mar-9

Afternoon Cherie.  We got back down south.  Baby shower went well.

I 've lost around 13 lbs last 6 weeks or so.  Trying to lose enough to stop

taking some lifetime pills.  This 13 went sorta easy, think it's going to get

much harder to lose more.

Glad you got the sunny weather.  Got up to 67 here today.  Walked Brandy

some miles up north this morning.

The Dr. should be very encouraging with your smoke stop and weight loss.

Hope your day is going well.

Ernie

cherbearquit

Mar-9

Good evening Ernie. Glad to hear the baby shower went well. The doctor appointment went well. He was pleased with my progress since I quit smoking. I have to get routine bloodwork done in July. I know what you mean about the weight loss and possibility of losing weight to not need the meds. anymore. I know weight loss can help with blood pressure and borderline diabetes at times. What are you taking medications for? Problem is that as we get older, we usually end up needing some sort of medication (Sigh!). I am currently on 3 medications to treat AFIB. Not too happy about that, since I used to only take 1 pill for my blood pressure. But, I opted to try the medications first to see if they work instead of having an ablation done. So, we’ll see what happens. I also went food shopping this afternoon, so it was a busy day. It is nice and warm, so I am going for my walk now. You have a good evening!

Cherie

Cocoa60

Mar-10

Morning Cherie.  Good your Dr appointment went well, we never need extra stress,

especially now. 

I got a new antenna book I had ordered.  Already tried to get a wire antenna I just built

to work but I didn't yet.

Brandy woke with her stomach growling this morning so gave her some keyopectate. 

Sounds like she is better now.  One of my daughters wants to borrow money to buy

a Border Collie puppy so guess I need to take care of that today along with the garbage.

I woke without quite enough sleep but will probably dose for a few minutes sometime

today.  A little rain today but at least we had some sunny days and is still warm until

the front gets here.

Have a great day!

Ernie

Susan1206

Mar-10

Good morning, dear Sensational friends ~

Cherie, Ernie, who else is lurking today.  

Stay safe my friends.  Stopped at Aldi's in route home from a PT Evaluation/knee.  Yes, they are almost out of bathroom tissue......no hand sanitizer available.  I am re evaluating my Spiritual Care duties at the local Cleveland in lieu of it all......going into patients rooms does not exactly excite me.  The Ohio State University has now closed.  So, stay safe.  Elbow or fist bumps only.  And so all of our lives are about to change.....perhaps.    The one really really good thing is that as non-smokers, we will never have to brave the store for a pack of ciggies.  Amen to saving our money and more important, our lungs!

Susan

cherbearquit

Mar-11

Good morning Ernie! I hope Brandy is doing better today. We had a lot of rain yesterday, and by the time I got home from watching the grands, I was exhausted! So I just ate dinner and watched tv. Did your daughter get her puppy yet? Puppies are SO cute! But, a lot of work! Lol! It is overcast here but not raining, so I am definitely going to walk today. I always feel so much better. I don’t know much about antennas, but I think it is great that you can build your own! I think I need to find a new hobby to feel excited about, but first I need to get some projects done around here. Well you have a great day and take care!

Cherie

cherbearquit

Mar-11

Good morning Susan. How was your weekend? I hate to watch the news any more, because every day this virus is discovered to be some where else. Also, it is becoming increasingly difficult to purchase items, since stores are running out of everything. I couldn’t get liquid hand soap or disinfectant wipes when I went shopping. Hopefully, they will stock up. I just hope they are able to contain this virus. Most think the media is blowing this way out of proportion. I hope they are right. Only time will tell.  I plan to go for a walk, since I did not go yesterday. Exercise always makes me feel better. Stay safe and have a great day!

Susan1206

Mar-11

Hi Cherie ~

A nice weekend chock full of entertaining.  It all turned out fine...didn't love the puff pastry appetizer but the Martha mac & cheese was great, as always.  Thank heavens for something called a dishwasher.

Yes, it is called panic buying.  I guess I understand the bathroom tissue....but the water?  We decided to cancel our involvement at the parish fish fry.  Last Friday, we worked and served fish dinners to 1082 people in the community.  At our age, I assume that is risky from all they are saying.  So, I cancelled working on the front line for the next two weeks. 

The Cleveland Clinic has suspended all volunteers until the end of April so I won't be doing Spiritual Care.  Jim and I visit a local nursing home every fourth Sunday where he serves communion to the Memory Care rooms and a homily for thirty residents ~ that will most likely be suspended too.  Three positive cases in the Cleveland area ~ believe they are trying to contain it as much as they can,  So, onward we go, exercising caution for two seniors.....  LOL

A cloudy day.  I took Finn out for a short walk and will do so again.  I did my exercises for strengthening my core, back and knees as directed by the PT person.  He didn't suggest me coming in as I thought he would.  He said he could be reached via MyChart and that the physical therapy department was classified as non-essential medical personnel.  During a quarantine, they won't be there.   And...that's the kind of stuff that makes you worry.

Carry on I say...one foot in front of the other..... Breathing in fresh air along the way.  My, how our lungs must feel....with the fresh air.    Are you feeling some peace this week?  I pray so.

((hugs))  Susan

Cocoa60

Mar-12

Morning Cherie.  Not perfect walking weather but Brandy and I are getting in our 5 miles.

I haven't been looking to buy anything new because of the virus and we are already stocked

on everything we normally use.  I think for us it will be the same as getting the flu but I don't

look forward to the flu. 

Some of the antennas I built have been working for years but the one I just built isn't working well.

The resistors that I ordered the wrong size came yesterday, luckily I noticed looking at my email

receipt and ordered the right size so I knew long before these arrived.  Got the inductors I

ordered and installed the one that was defective.  I try to buy parts at the local electronics store

but they usually don't have them in stock and they don't really want to be bothered with $5 to $10

orders.

My daughter changed her mind about that puppy, so looking elsewhere.  She's looking at Border Collies.

The lady I see riding horses on our walking route usually has 2 or 3 of them.  She has them trained not

to even look at Brandy while Brandy is all over the place trying to get to them.

Keep up the good work Cherie.

Ernie