About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

SENSATIONAL SENIORS   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 1386923 views.
Cocoa60

4/27/20

Morning Kitty.  The jet stream has cut us off from that heat for the foreseeable future, or at least up to the 8th.  Supposed to get back to the 60s by next weekend, today is rainy and 40s.

It's grocery day.  Wasn't fun before but more of a pain now and we have to pay for it.  Our gasoline finally down to $2.25, over to our west 40 miles its $1.89 in same state.  We aren't going anywhere so cheap gas doesn't help, should keep going down but will most likely shoot up when the use goes up.

At least you and your husband are isolated on the island so hope neither of you get sick.  Glad we made it to 13 years.  Tend to think of it as automatic but it's not.

Have a great day.

Ernie

Susan1206

4/27/20

Hi Ernie ~

First of all, congratulations on your 13th anniversary.  As all of us know, that is no small feat!  What a journey we were on for so many years and as we continue to be smoke free.  So, here's a bouquet of fresh flowers for you to celebrate and a virtual (( hug))) and a bunny for the puppy!

We continue on our adventure.  All countertops are in place although we did hit a snag yesterday as Jim turned off the water.  Apparently a copper valve under the sink.  He's willing to tackle alot of things, but not plumbing.  So, a plumber has been called in this a.m.  He is fiddling now with the new stainless steel sink, faucet and insinkerator.  I will be happy when this is finished and will forward pictures.  Between Menards and Jim, a wonderful new look for the kitchen!

So, on we go.  Hope to get some mulch spread this afternoon.  The lawncare staff put it in a large pile inside the fenced in patio, so I can distribute to my annuals.

Is everything going to open up in your part of New York?   Do love your Governor and ours, as well.

Congratulations, once again.  Susan

Cocoa60

4/28/20

Morning Susan.  Sunny in the 60s today, calm before the torrential rains.  It's one of my daughters birthdays today, I remember way back the eve she was born. 

Brandy and I missed one day of walking, couldn't get a window in the day wide enough.  We've expanded our walk out between 5.5 and 7 miles, depending on our departure time.  Also, added a steep hill.  She gets plenty of water to drink.  Have my weight down to 156, nine lbs to go.  Then have to hold it there for the duration.  I hate to see a day going by without Brandy getting out, she's almost 8 years old and lives 7 days for every day of mine.

It's so great you and Jim are building memories together.  I've always thought it's the results I love but that's not it at all.  The process of getting to the result is almost the only thing that matters.

I got sick for 36 hours with painful stomach and 100.4 fever. First time I got sick in many years but don't think it was the virus.  Wife didn't get sick at all.  I don't know when things will officially open up here but I think people are heading out to places now, they're tired of it.  Got groceries yesterday, everyone wearing masks like governor said but we were the only ones with gloves so they're all just obeying the rules, not really doing anything on their own.  People are going to head out as the weather improves to start gardens, maintain lawns, etc...  Good luck with the mulch and flowers.  I had to move all the mulch and shrubs away from the house last couple years so those areas remain dry.  Along with digging around the foundation, putting more tar on the concrete walls.  Seems to be working.  I've done some work with the loader, backhoe but more to do when the ground dries.

Thanks for the congrats, we are all doing great, glad to see Cherie is making it.

Enjoy the nice day.

Ernie

cherbearquit

4/28/20

Good morning Ernie. Hope all is well with you. Nothing new going on here. I’ve just been continuing my walks when the weather cooperates and keeping up with my house cleaning. I did manage to scrub the living room carpet and cut the grass this weekend. I talked to the grands on FaceTime Sunday, but it’s not the same as seeing them in person. I just hope our country heals soon and that our leaders and citizens make the right decisions. Such a scary time we are in right now. I picked up groceries yesterday, and the market was stocked much better. Still bare aisle where the toilet paper and paper towels usually are.  But, I found another place nearby that usually has those items. It’s cooler and rainy here, but I think I’ll be able to fit a walk in. I like to walk much better than exercise inside. I am approaching 5 months on May 6th and am so happy that I quit when I did. I feel so much better and am happy that I am no longer addicted to that nasty habit. Saving the money is an added bonus! Well you take care Ernie and have a great day!

Cherie

Cocoa60

4/29/20

Morning Cherie.  Everything is going pretty well here.  I have to get the oil and filters changed in lots of vehicles, grease some, and sharpen blades on mowers.  I can take my time though being retired,  Used to have to cram everything in and try to get time with my family.

I took a birthday cake over to one daughter when I took care of her garbage, didn't see the dog or kids.  Wife is taking birthday cake to our other daughter today probably.  They were both April babies, years apart. 

One of the houses we walked by, they let two large shepherds out as we were going by.  I'm certain they thought there would be a fight but Brandy has never fought or snapped at anything.  So might have to change my route, not sure.  We were having trouble with the old route, traffic with a narrow shoulder and loose dogs.  Think I still have one route that works well but Cocoa dog got tired of our old route and it's mostly our old route, with a hill added, and doubling back instead of going around the block.

I'm glad you're making it to May also.  My mom had COPD for many years and then lung cancer.  She died when I was 32.  A terrible thing for her to go through. 

We get groceries on Monday also.  Try to escape the weekend rush.  It's almost like working in a large industry, fewer friendly people than there was.  Meat shortage looming.  I don't eat hardly any meat anymore, a little chicken sometimes.  Wife eats meat every day still though. 

Have a great day Cherie.  Cloudy today but dry.

Ernie

Susan1206

4/30/20

Hi Cherie ~

Still grey/gray sky here in Avon Lake.  I'm thinking it's the big cloud that hangs over Lake Erie until June.  More rain expected.  We've had so much.  I tried to move the mulch around my perennials but didn't get that far.  I made it through all of the border of mystery lillys on the outside....but soon found that I was tired.   Considering I could work outside for hours and hours at a time, I guess that means that "age" has caught up with me.

Another trip to Lowe's (with mask and gloves).  Dislike the idea that many are not wearing them.  I had decided to paint my fireplace tile.  A lot of consideration went into this one.  Plan to remove the ventless gas fireplace logs and put in electric ones.  Much safer, I feel.    So, with careful planning and consideration, I chose a lovely gray.....well, the quart still sits on the carpet nearby and now I've decided to take the unopened can back to Lowe's and have them make it a darker grey.   How do I explain all of this through the mask??

Not sure if it is me.....a bit of claustrophobia....but breathing and talking through the mask is not so easy.....

Carry on...congratulations on your five months.  Each month will get better and better.  Your lungs are singing "hallelujah"......

Hugs, Susan

Susan1206

4/30/20

Dear Ernie,

Yet another Spring downpour here...  So much rain this Spring.  Everything is very very green!

Yes, to the scarcity of meat products (especially pork).   I could easily become a vegetarian but alas, Jim likes the meat.  I take that back... I love love fish (almost every kind) but particularly salmon.  Chicken is o.k.   Could care less about beef....maybe a burger now and then....  We trekked to Aldi's the other day.  Have you shopped in an Aldi's?    I flip/flop between a high end Heinen's store and Aldi's for the most part.   The meat counter was very bare.   I assume with the closing of the meat and chicken plants, there will be more of a shortage to come.

Who would have ever guessed this pandemic would be in our every day lives and I don't think it is about to go away anytime soon.  Both daughters...the teacher and the medical director are working from home.  A different way of life.

Enjoy the day.   Will don a mask and gloves and head to Lowe's soon.

Happy April birthday to your wife.  Both of my parents shared an April Birthday.

((hugs))  Susan

karno12

4/30/20

Hi Susan....just caught up....we had two days of downpours and grey, gray days and this morning it poured again but this afternoon the sun came out and it got up to 80....a friend had 3 of us ladies....over to visit 6 ft apart...an hour and a half of girl talk and a bit of wine...a nice break...and it is nice to be somewhere that makes this possible...visit outside far apart...but it does get old doesn't it....? stay well everyone....

Cocoa60

5/1/20

Morning Susan.  Same here yesterday rain, Brandy and I made it out for our walk in the morning.  Soon it will be to hot to walk in the afternoon but for now it's just nicer.

I haven't worked much out in the lawn.  I have to dig a ditch deeper, then put a pipe and gravel in it but it's still to soft for the backhoe.

One of my daughters is staying home and teaching her sons, the other is out taking care of special needs children.  It's my daughters both born in April, not wife.  Wife made them both cakes.

I only go to Aldi's about once a year for a turkey or something like that, usually go to Wegmans. 

My wifes parents drove down to try to get meat at a store we have called Maines, think they got most of what they wanted but no pork.  I'm eating hardly any meat so we need to buy a little for my wife and that's it.  Don't really care about pork.

I have to move one antenna, it's just a quieter receiving antenna but it's to close to the transmitting antenna.  Damaged the input on an accessory component.  I found the bad part and have one on the way.

I still have to go to the auto parts store sometime.  Need oil filters for both riding mowers, oil for the mowers, and oil for the Subaru.  Have been putting it off.

Have a good day.

Ernie

Susan1206

5/2/20

Hi Ernie ~

Cute pups on the trail a while back......

Lovely here ~ possibly in the high 60's and sunny.   Painted the fireplace today, first coat and tackled the shoe molding with Jim.  We are removing it and will repaint when the new floor is installed.  

Now, on to the patio and mulch that awaits.  I want to get two tall ornamental plants for the patio...mostly for privacy from the next door neighbors who we like but don't necessarily want to be  conversing all the time.   It's what happens when you trade your house for a condo.  LOL

Enjoy the week-end.  Susan