About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

SENSATIONAL SENIORS   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 1670925 views.
Susan1206

Oct-6

Dear Ernie,

What tornado was this?   Pretty sure I've never been in or near one although I would like to see a funnel cloud in the distance?  Morbid.  I did feel an earthquake that passed through North Canton when Megan was a toddler.  First noted dishes rattling in my great grandfather's corner cupboard....  Shook like crazy and then we could feel the tremors. Scary, really.

Today, is escape day.  Grocery stores and bank.  Will feel good to get out and about with a mask, of course.  

Take care.  Glad the bruise is healing...... Susan

Susan1206

Oct-6

And yet, another grey sky hovering over Avon Lake.  Best get accustomed to it...as it seems to be here until April.  Rather depressing, really.   I get to go out and about today.  Will be very careful with hand sanitizer and mask.  Day 10 and ready to go.  Jim's penance will last until next Monday.......(that is quarantining).  

All is well.   Susan

Susan1206

Oct-6

Hi Diana,

Did you have your Anniversary Dinner yet?   In Fort Wayne, Indiana ~ interesting.  How far away from Cleveland do you live?  Do you ever get over this way?   We are about 25 miles west of the city in a suburb named Avon Lake, Ohio.  My condo is about a mile south of the Lake so we really do enjoy going up in the summer months to see the lake and view the sunsets.  We took a drive in Jim's convertible yesterday and walked to the beach (waves high, northeast wind).  It was fun but now my only pair of good tennis shoes are sandy and need washed.

Take care.  Celebrate YOU and your victory over nicotine.  May I ask a question?  TMI ~ but does your husband smoke?   I initially quit for my late husband and he continued to smoke....it was very, very difficult.  Susan

Cocoa60

Oct-7

Good morning Susan.  Tornado was May 3rd, 1983.  Flipped over the mobile home we lived in on this same

lot we live on today.  Mobile home had a basement with steel I-beams. We cleaned it up, built a new basement,

and moved a modular in.  We didn't have time to build a house and we were living in pickup truck campers.

We built the basement of 12 inch concrete blocks.  Did the plumbing and the circuit breaker box wiring, floor, etc...

Also, It took until August to get our insurance money.  They tried to give us much less until the newspaper got involved.

We were only insured for 13k and they wanted to pay around 5k.  We got a disaster loan for around 17k and borrowed

some from the credit union.  The Red Cross put us up in a motel for about a week, at least I finished my college finals.

Not easy to get a loan, I had worked full time and went to college full time until into senior year, then quit work towards the end.

We didn't get as much help as you hear about because the damage wasn't as wide spread as a hurricane.  Today I hear

about people being supplied with a mobile home for years.  I have pictures and newspaper headline but they aren't

scanned into this pc.  Hard to find this early in the morning especially with my wife still sleeping.  We had an electric alarm clock

in our bedroom, think it was 8:59 PM, maybe 7:59 when the tornado cut our power.

We have our granddaughters birthday party today, wife does way to much work getting ready.  She's 18 this year.  She was 3 or 4

when she helped talk me into this last quit.  I was so rich with her and the pups in my life along with everything else.  She is taking

college courses along with her senior high school and work right now. 

I put up a 5th security camera yesterday to view the back yard, would like to see the direction they come from if someone damages

one of our vehicles again.  My SS isn't finished yet, guy says he hurt his back, don't really know whats going on. 

My brother is in the hospital again.  Hope to get down to the farm tomorrow to get the tractor finished without interruption.  I've

been getting parts and repair equipment together for months, getting to be a pain.  Last time mowed the farm lawn and hadn't gotten

our lawn mowed which got pushed into these rainy days, maybe today.  We did get some sunshine Wednesday afternoon.

Still miss my Brandy so bad.

Hope you have a good day.

Ernie

Kittyarnold

Oct-7

it is so fogged here that I can't even see the hillside...totally white....Brian is out there somewhere cutting brush...can't see him....but at least it isn't frigid....56 here and the sun is supposed to break thru.....wish I could take pictures and post them....don't know how....LOL  hope everyone has a good day....and stay smoke free.....

Cocoa60

Oct-7

Our tornado, don't know if you can expand them large enough to read.

Our mobile home.

• Edited October 7, 2021 11:32 am  by  Cocoa60
Cocoa60

Oct-7

My wife and youngest daughter in the picture.  We didn't get a copy of our story on the back page.  Anne has been gone for many years.

Took us years to do our landscaping , build decks, back filling, etc...

• Edited October 7, 2021 11:33 am  by  Cocoa60
Kittyarnold

Oct-7

and then the sun shone it was a lovely day....hope you day was good.....

Susan1206

Oct-7

Very very interesting.   Thanks for scanning!!