About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome January 2018 Ex Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 12/27/17 by ModSue (VentasSue); 192584 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)
ModSue (VentasSue)

2/3/18

Hey Sandoster

I'm so pleased that you've found this Forum and, yes, you are in the right Group for people who have quit in January 2018.

As you have quit before, you may remember what worked for you but, if you look through this thread from it's beginning, you will see many helpful articles and tips to aid you in your quit.

Today this thread will be moving over to it's permanent home under the Quit Buddies Unite heading.  I shall be posting a general notice about this shortly with a link to your new home.

I am sure that you will find everything you need to help you in your quit here on this forum.  I also smoked for a long time - 52 years and started at age 15.  I quit cold turkey because I wanted it to be my first and last quit - it worked but I am sure that it only worked because I found this forum and the people here who supported me and taught me how to cope with the rigors of quitting.

You know you can do this and you know how much better life is without this addiction dictating every single thing we do.  Use the forum to learn, share, identify with others, scream, shout, cry - just whatever you.  We all know how you're feeling because we've all been there.

In reply toRe: msg 864
ModSue (VentasSue)

2/3/18

The results of the naming poll for the January 2018 Ex-Smokers Group are in, and I am happy to announce that the winner, with

46% of the vote is...

Ja No Mas '18

Congrats to ALL of you -

you are beginning a journey that will bring you benefits far greater than you can probably imagine from where you are right now. From improved health and vitality to the boost quitting gives your self-esteem, the positives FAR outweigh the discomforts of nicotine withdrawal.

~*~

Think of time and patience (with self, mostly) as two of your best quit buddies, because they absolutely are. If you can relax and let time pass, it will help you heal. There's a lot of truth in the old adage that time heals all. Time really is a wonderful tool for changing our lives - as long as we can be patient enough to let it do its work.

~*~

Don't fear the ups and downs that come with quitting smoking. Cravings to smoke are not signs of impending failure, they are signs that you are healing from both the physical addiction you have to nicotine, and the psychological associations you have with smoking as well.

~*~

Keep your eye on the prize and do the work it takes to get the monkey that nicotine addiction is off of your back. The rewards are outstanding and you'll love the person you become without the chains of this killer habit weighing you down.

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
ModSue (VentasSue)

2/3/18

Hey Anthony

I am so sorry that you smoked again.  

As you know, there is no shame - this is an addiction and a very hard one to free ourselves from.  However, you can free yourself and I think you know that. 

I'm so pleased that you are continuing your quit.  To keep trying is all that matters and you know that we are all here to support you in your quit.  Choose whichever group you want to be in.  The dates aren't really important but the Quit Buddies are, so, it's up to you.

I was reading this article recently.

In the early days of our quits, it's so difficult to dismiss that little voice in our heads which is trying to convince us that smoking will relieve our stress but, as I'm sure you know, it doesn't.  Coming here and letting off steam is always the best way to deal with any unpleasant situations so, when someone causes you stress, try to come here and post before you pick up a cigarette.  You already know that, in time, we are able to deal with all situations without even considering smoking.  Work towards that day a little at a time and you'll never regret it.

We're all here to support you.

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the link I have copied and pasted to my quit journal, helpful advice.

I am struggling ow with the temptation to smoke, but I am determined to beat this addiction.

I am going now to read some more horror stories linked to smoking.

Kind regards

Antony

ModSue (VentasSue)

2/4/18

Hey Hope

Just wondered how you are doing.  Have you finished painting the house yet?

ModSue (VentasSue)

2/4/18

Hey Mello

How are things going?  Haven't heard from you in the while.

In reply toRe: msg 869
ModSue (VentasSue)

2/4/18

Hey Everyone

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!

This thread will be closing in a few hours. 

Please send your posts to our new home:

Looking forward to meeting you there.