About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

May Ashkickers `15   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 224376 views.
Gersheps

Oct-19

Hi, Annie,

Just checking in to see how you're doing.  I haven't heard from you in a while, and I just wanted to hear how things are going.

Winter is coming, and we've had several nights below freezing.  The NWS isn't posting frost/freeze warnings any more because it's the expected condition.  Several mornings there has been ice covering the water in the dogs' dish on the deck.  It won't be too much longer until I have to bring it in for the winter.  I've covered the grill and brought in all the outdoor furniture and other equipment for the winter.  That's what you call your basic Cold Weather Prep.  I'm guessing you don't have that problem in AZ.

I hope you're doing well.

Steve

AnnieXS

Oct-19

Hi Steve!

So good to hear from you.  In terms of weather, yes, it is just the opposite here.  We are finally coming out of the endless heat.  We broke a record for the number of days over 100 degrees, and it has rained once for about 10 minutes all summer.  I've never seen that in my 22 years here.  Mornings are beautiful now so I can get out and walk.  I was feeling like the walls were closing in.  My neighborhood backs up to foothills so I have a long incline to get the heart rate up.  I'd like to go across the street to a hiking path that is far more challenging but it's pretty crowded.  I can keep my distance much better in the hood.

I have found myself involuntarily unemployed for the first time in my life due to COVID.  One of my biggest accounts is recession proof, but not pandemic proof, so that work fell off a cliff.  It has been four months.  I'm looking, but most companies have had to lay off so nothing is happening at this point.  I've had some intense anxiety and depression trying to cope with it.  There is so much I could be doing around here but I can't motivate.  I've been visiting the forum frequently, just to read so I don't start smoking after 5 1/2 years.  I know it won't help anything so I persist with my walks, weights, and yoga.  I had to apply for health insurance through marketplace.gov because cobra was $860 per month.  I almost fell off my chair.  Needless to say, it is more or less a catastrophic plan with a high deductible outside of regular doctors visits so I don't need any health issues at this time.  At least it's half the price of cobra.  I also keep my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong with the house.  It's usually ongoing but I've been lucky so far.  I'm trying to take it day-by-day, but I still fall into the what's going to become of me thoughts.  It's a trying time and I know I'm not alone.

Aren't you glad you asked?  Regretting this post yet?  LOL.

How are your eyes these days? 

Oh, I had the block wall redone before everything happened so my gate opens and closes with ease, at last!  It was so unstable you could push it and it would move.  I didn't realize it was that bad or I wouldn't have put it off for as long as I did.  My kitchen window is about 2 feet from it.  Could have been ugly seeing that is 6 feet tall.     

AnnieXS 

Gersheps

Oct-22

Hi, Annie,

Great to hear from you!  I didn't get any notification of your post, which is what I've come to expect.

Sorry to hear about your unemployment status.  Once this Chinese Coronavirus is under control and things open up, I think your job will come back.  At least I hope so.  These shutdowns need to be stopped; they are only harming the economy and the country.  Are you getting any unemployment comp? 

Whatever you do, pl;ease don't start smoking again. I don't remember if I told you, but I quit back in 1971 and started again after GM transferred me to Kuwait in 1976.  It took me almost 40 years to quit again.  I finally quit again, 9 years after a heart attack.  I still enjoy the sweet taste of Freedom to Not Smoke.

Private health insurance is ridiculously high.  I don't blame you for not getting it.  Unless you have a chronic condition, it doesn't make a lot of sense to get it, IMO.  It is a miserable time, but many of us are hurting from it in one way or another.  BTW I'm enjoying your post!

My eyes are doing great.  One of the techs at the Eye Doctor's office told me I have dry eyes, so I'm using a moistening agent called "Refresh" to keep them lubricated.  I guess it's something like artificial tears.  It works pretty well, but it costs a bundle.  I wish I'd known about that some 20 years earlier.  Are your eyes doing OK?

Glad to hear you got the wall repaired.  That could have been a nightmare if it had collapsed.  It must feel great that you can open and close your gate without problems now. You wouldn't have wanted it fall when you were trying to get through the gate. 

I've got to go into town and get something to garbage up on tonight  Take care.

Steve

AnnieXS

Oct-23

Hi Steve:

I wasn't notified either.  I just happened to be on the site and saw your message.

The key is getting the virus under control.  I live in a state that just opened everything up at one point and was forced to shut many things back down because the hospitals were too overwhelmed.  They were transferring patients to New Mexico.  Getting unemployment but our state is the second lowest in the country, second only to Mississippi so pretty sad.  A bit infuriating after working my butt off and paying taxes for 40 years.

I won't start smoking but I can't believe that I'm actually thinking about it.  I've been through so many other things that should have been a trigger but they weren't.  This one is a struggle.  I know if I ever start again, I'll never quit.  Like you said, it took you 40 years to stop again.  So addictive.  I'm walking more and more each day to quell the thoughts.  It's really nice to be able to breathe and not have a disgusting smokers cough.  

I'm on ACA insurance now instead of COBRA.

My eyes seem okay.  I'm not sure if maybe one will need to be done again.  No headaches but some floaters in one eye.  I need to go back but haven't wanted to during these times.   I'm not sure if it's any cheaper but Thera Tears is really good, too.  I'm really happy to hear that your eyes are great!

So good to talk to you!

Annie

Gersheps

Oct-23

Hi, Annie,

Sorry to hear about your unemployment comp being too low.  I had no idea that AZ was only above MS.  That is sad.

I know you won't start smoking again.  I've also had a few times when I thought about it. but that was before I got my wings for 5 years.  I've been able to put smoking into the category it was in before I started in 1957 -- it's neutral in my mind.  It's just something I don't do.  That's it, no more, no less.  That's why I call it The Freedom to Not Smoke.  It doesn't have any hold over me.    Oddly enough, though, I had a "smoking dream" about 2 months ago.  I thought it was odd, but it didn't bother me.

I'm glad to hear your eyes are OK too.  Recommend you get the floaters checked out if they start to increase.  My eyes are holding strong, with only a little distortion in the right eye,  -which had the most damage because I let it go so long./  I'm lucky I'm not blind in that eye.

I PM'd you yesterday.  Did you get a notification on that yet?

Steve

AnnieXS

Oct-23

Hi Steve:

No, it showed zero for PMs but I went in and saw it.  Let me know if you get my message.  I had attachments so not sure if it will get bounced due to size.

Annie