About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 194068 views.
lori1531

7/31/18

Hey Patty! 

Guess what! It’s been 29 days without smoking for me! Can you believe it? I remember not so long ago hanging on by a thread. Two weeks ago I was a complete mess, then slowly I felt a little stronger day by day. 

I hate that you have to have the back surgery but I’m so proud that you will be doing it smoke free. Your great attitude will aid you in your recovery for sure. 

Keep it up! You are doing so good.

Lori 

lori1531

7/31/18

Anthony,

Im very interested in how you are doing on Champix. My husband is also taking it. I think he’s been on it for a couple of weeks. He’s still smoking and hasn’t set a quit date, but he’s smoking less. I’m letting him do his own thing. I’ve read that some have success with champix and NRT together. Are still using the patch? 

Best of luck to you. I hope this quit is the one that works. You can do this! 

Lori 

lori1531

7/31/18

Hey Nick, 

Those cravings are tricky things. They will sneak up on you when you least expect it. The thing is, the cravings are just thoughts in your mind. Each time you don’t act on them, it makes you stronger and weakens the neural pathway in your brain. 

I too thought it was weird to think that I would never smoke again, but after the days passed, I don’t feel like I’ve given up anything worthwhile, especially when I think about all that I’ve gained. 

Believe me. You aren’t be only one. 

Lori 

In reply toRe: msg 17
aee13

8/1/18

Yay! We have a new home. So I am now 17 days into my quit. It has been rough going. I have been craving cigarettes a lot recently and have had to tell myself no. That I am proud to be a nonsmoker now. Today I decided to no longer use a nicotine patch. I have been still using a vape here and there though. So it isn't much of a difference. To be honest, I never really noticed when I had the patch on or not. 

-Alison

JR (DPartonFan)

8/1/18

I quit July 29th. I hadn’t planned to quit that day...just thought I’d put on a patch and see how long I could last. I’ve put on a new patch everyday and haven’t smoked so far. I understand what you mean by the sadness feeling. I thought I might be grieving cigarettes and I sure hope that phase ends soon. 

Hi Lori,

You have accomplished a tremendous thing-looks like you will have a full month in a couple days.  

Keep coming back because we are stronger together.

Hi there DParton,

Welcome to the forum and to the Smoke Free Warriors.  When we quit smoking it takes time before that feeling of grieving leaves us but it will if you stick with it.  Read everything you can here on nicotine addiction.  it will help you understand how you feel right now and ways of dealing with the stress involved in the process.  Hope you will get to know your quit buddy s and keep posting.  Having a support group with you every day is a huge factor in success. You can do this.

ps-love your little dog.

Practical Tips for Your First Smoke-Free Week

Updated November 19, 2015. You may feel like you're on a roller coaster during the first couple of weeks of smoking cessation. Whether you use a quit aid of some sort or go cold turkey, you're going to feel some discomforts due to nicotine withdrawal.

Ex-Smoker Suggestions for Surviving Nicotine Withdrawal

Hi Gloria,

Sending you this post from the Smoke Free Warriors in case you are having trouble getting used to this place.  From reading your first post, it reminds me of my quit.  I smoked over 40 years and quit smoking in 2010.  Then in 2012,  I relapsed during a period of grief and it took me 3 more years to try again.  This forum helped me get through the roller coaster ride we all go through when we quit.   

BMann (bmann018)

8/1/18

You're doing great! I experience the same thing as do most others on this forum. You are not alone. We really do go through periods of missing something in our lives. After 45 years of smoking, I built up so many associations between living and smoking, there must be a period of break-up, just like any other relationship.

I just try to do something else and come up with different activities, like drinking a nice cold glass of water. Although I am still experiencing the same feelings as you, it does get better and the feelings are less often. Just do not smoke and these periods will diminish. You can do it!!

In reply toRe: msg 23
aee13

8/1/18

So I was almost three weeks in. But I gave in. I had one cigarette. It was hard because my mom and stepdad smoke so they leave their cigs out. I’m a bit disappointed in myself. However, this will be the time I will give up for good. I am committed to this quit!

-Alison