About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 146282 views.
Missdogs2018

Oct-1

BUMP!!! Awaiting JR's arrival to the Clubhouse...and to see his Happy Snoopy Dance and shiny key into the Clubhouse. Happy 14 months to us!! My dogs are doing well. Old man still grumpy but not as much as when I first got him. I have had him 3 months now. I run the dogs on the farm when I get the chance. He LOVES chasing the car and runs VERY fast. It is actually hard to stay in front of him on the dirt road as he follows the car. I don't like to go too fast as it will be very dusty and don't want my babies to breath too much dust. It is also hard to get away from him to drive away so he can follow.  He bites the tires!! Good he is a little dog or he would damage the tire. It's hard to take off as they stand right by the car and they try to run beside the car. I am afraid that they will get in the road and I will run over them...so I have to be EXTREMELY careful!! They understand they I am going to drive away and they have to follow. They love racing the car and think it is so much fun!!

I think I have some nicotine receptors shutting down recently as I have had some strange brain reactions to smokers and cigs. I saw a group of peeps smoking together one day and my brain noted it. Got a definite ping on that for some reason. And my brain noticed an almost whole cig on the pavement in the parking lot near my car. I never step on bugs or anything (hate the crunch plus I don't like killing anything). There was something near my parked car and I looked down as I did not want to step on it. My brain pinged again. It's like it registers in my brain and my brain is trying to file it away. The smoking files have been pushed way back in the old file cabinet or about to be shredded. It has been interesting to see how my brain has rewired and reacts to cigs and me not smoking now.  Glad I have developed appropriate coping strategies for stress now. I am still committed to NEVER smoking again. I don't think about or desire to ever smoke again. Nothing is missing from my life...well cigs are and that's ok. I am a HAPPY & JOYOUS NON-SMOKER...How Sweet it is!!    

Gloria

Freedom since 30 July 2018

JR (DPartonFan)

Oct-2

Gloria,

My day is getting close! I’m excited about getting to the clubhouse. I have my “key and signature” ready to post after I unhang all my stars. 

I had a post from Overdoz about three weeks ago where he was talking about the older ones of us haven’t been really supportive to the newest quitters. It’s true that I haven’t been as supportive as I could be as I am coming up on my one year anniversary. That has really weighed heavy on my mind since reading his post so I think my goal during year two is to get on here at least one time a week and support someone who is beginning their battle with Nicodemon. 

We certainly know how tough the battle is and how unsteady we all are at the beginning of this journey to win our freedom. 

Hope your week is going great! 

Missdogs2018

Oct-2

Hey JR,

Great to hear from you. Yes I am sure you are very excited and deservedly so. You are in the neighborhood of the clubhouse. What a battle and journey we have had!!! There was NOTHING easy about this trip at all but friends and comrades make it bearable. We had passion, patience, tenacity and determination to make it thru. We also had to be Brave and Fight. We had to be ready to get knocked down and get back up for another round. We had to want to NOT smoke more than we wanted to smoke. What a roller coaster ride...and we DID it!! Glad you got your key and signature line picked out. Glad you still around. 

Some of us do stick around to try to provide support and motivation to the newbies. It is SO different than last year. Most don't put quit dates or use stars. I always try to support and motivate others as God knows that helped me make it thru the rough spots last year. And almost everyone gets MUTE after they arrive at the Clubhouse. I feel like a nomad on here. A lot of the newbies don't respond back when you message them also. I usually try to motivate the ones I see struggling on here and will congratulate others when I see or recognize their milestones. I am still around here most days as this is what got me thru that first year. I am now addicted to this forum!!lol. I have been waiting for you to arrive and I will probably drop out like most of the ones who were here last year. I really don't think of smoking anymore and we do have to fill that time we spent smoking with something else. I am SO thankful for this forum...it was here when I needed it most and I am SO grateful for that.

We have achieved and accomplished the goal we set for ourselves last year. It probably is time to move on to something else. I am still amazed to see the ones who have achieved their wings still come around and even remember their anniversary. I LOVE to read their posts. I feel like a dinosaur in life and like a dinosaur on this forum now. This became my lifeline during my quit and it is hard to let go and move on. I am truly dedicated and was not going to leave you behind. I am going to be here until you make it. I wanted to stay for some of the November quitters to arrive at the Clubhouse and they have gone silent also.

Anyhoo, glad you arriving soon. We been waiting for you. We got the light on for you.

Let's keep kicking cig Butt!!

Gloria

Emancipated since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!

overdoz

Oct-5

Yeah thank you JR, i think people will really appreciate you for it. There are so many people on here that have quit and dont pay it forward, and if we think about it the moderators that helped all of us before didn't get paid for doing this...

I think that is a big difference from last year that the moderators aren't on here as often, and i see a lot of people that are making it a week or two or three and then abandon ship. 

Really glad you are making it to one year shortly, thats a big accomplishment, when i had gotten to that point a few years back a lot of things changed for me, i started making other huge changes in my life, like minimalism and traveling more, its like one huge thing led to another.

JR (DPartonFan)

Oct-10

Woohoo! I made it to the Clubhouse.  Chocolate cake and champagne for all! LOL

Thank you to each of you for your support in helping me to reach this milestone, I couldn't have done it without you.  Gloria, you are truly a warrior Princess for all of us and thank you for fighting on our behalf even in the times we were struggling on our on.  

Also, Happy Dance time.....

JR (DPartonFan)

Oct-10

I finally made it to the clubhouse.  I just want to thank you for all of your inspiration.  Your posts have really played a significant part of my focus on staying quit. You are a great quit buddy to have and I hope you find success in your forever quit.

Missdogs2018

Oct-10

Hey JR,

Oh Happy Day...You have arrived and entered the Clubhouse....Way to Go!!! Loved seeing your Snoopy Happy Dance into the Clubhouse...and LOVE your beautiful key and new signature line. Classy and beautiful. SO Awesome. We did it...we made it to the Clubhouse. Love sharing the chocolate cake and champagne with you. We fought SO hard to get here...what a Journey!! Thanks so much for being on the battlefield with me/us and having my back. This battle was so much easier with our comrades. And we got er done. 

You were a wonderful buddy and comrade to have around. Thank you so much. Been hanging around this site waiting for you to finish your last battle and arrive to the Clubhouse. And here you are...so wonderful. Glad you have arrived. Mission Complete. Thanks for your service Brave Warrior. So Glad you were around. Can't give you enough accolades. 

WE MADE IT. HOW SWEET IT IS!!

Gloria

lori1531

Oct-11

Congratulations JR! What an extraordinary accomplishment! It’s truly amazing what you have done. Not only did you quit, but you quit twice and under the stress of a serious health scare. I can only imagine how difficult that was. If you are like me, thoughts of smoking creep in occasionally, but it’s comforting to know that those thoughts are fleeting. It’s also comforting to know that we all have still each other and if we ever have a bad day or a strong temptation, we can jump on here and voice our feelings and struggles and get support. 

I love the key and tag line! Isn’t it wonderful being free? 

lori1531

Oct-11

Hi Gloria, Molly and JR, 

Ive missed you all! I hope life is treating you well. I’d love to hear what’s going on in every ones lives. 

These days, I am rarely around smokers so it’s easy not to think about smoking much. A few weeks ago, my hubbys friend was in town with his new wife. She’s a smoker. We went to a food festival with them. She would sneak off and smoke occasionally. At one point in the evening, I found myself sitting on some stairs outside with her, as she smoked. As I was sitting there talking, I thought- THIS is how people start smoking again. They are casually near a smoker. They can smell it. It would be so effortless to bum a smoke. Just one. Thank goodness I had my guard up!!! Really though, I was so happy that I wasn’t really tempted. 

This weekend I’m going camping with my brother and his family. Because I was a secret smoker, I never would have been able to do this before. I’m so happy that I can and not worry about wanting to sneak off and smoke. I can relax and enjoy everyone’s company. Freedom!!! 

Hope you all have a great weekend. 

BMann (bmann018)

Oct-11

JR,

Thank you for copying me on this special post. I really wanted to check back in in October here to make sure you drug it across the 1-year line. Feels good, right? You have been so involved here and helped many x-smokers around you accomplish their dream. It just goes on,......life, without smoking. I run into smokers at work, outside restaurants and on the golf course and really have no feelings about their habit now. I do not like the smell of smoke and avoid it, but I am not a militant x-smoker or the like. 

If the smokers ask how I quit, I give all the credit to this forum and folks like you. I have handed out this link more than once, but have not heard back if those smokers took the step. Interesting following all this vaping news - I cannot believe a vaping company can advertise their products on the tube.

Anyway, feeling good, marching to retirement next year and am very proud of you. I cannot say that I could have done what you did, quit, relapse and quit immediately again....and succeed to one year. Just never relax. I have told myself several times - I would rather be an x-smoker who occasionally thinks about a smoke, than a smoker who constantly thinks about quitting. I had a thought just the other day on how much I used to like that first smoke in the morning with coffee, but I easily recalled that it was just an addiction that is no longer acute. I am still and addict, in remission.

Take care and go spend some money on something special. Congrats again, and I hope to check in here more often.