About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 189104 views.
David072118

May-2

Hi Brian, Gloria, Lori, and Molly (hope I got the right one), Denim, and JR!

I hope you are all stiil non smokers and doing well!

I'm still smoke free, but have been struggling the kast couple of weeks. 

What the H is wrong with me- 1 year and 9 months and I'm thinking about "sneaking" a smoke or two!!!!

The only that gas been keeping me from doing it is knowing that the craving Im having now, I've only been having occasionally, but if I smoked again I would soon be having all the time. 

I can't believe this.  I feel like Im back in month 3 o5 or something. 

Anyway as Gloria always said I keep kicking it to the curb. I just feel like I want a moment of peace. 

Has anyone else had this happen in their 2nd year?

Best to all of my quit buddies.

Dave

07 21 2018

lori1531

May-3

Hey David! 

I am still a non smoker and doing good! 

Its so weird that you are going through this at this time as well.I, too, have had some recent craves for a cigarette. I have noticed it mostly because we have been sitting outside on our deck and grilling or just having cocktails. More than once I have reached into the cup holder on my folding chair for the pack of cigs. Dang! It’s made me think about much more than I normally do. It’s possible that it has to do with the change of season.. springtime was always a time when we enjoyed sitting on our deck and smoking. It’s a big trigger for me. Do you think that’s what it is for you? 

One thing I do know is that I never want to have nicotine in my body again. Like you said, you will start craving it all the time. Wouldn’t that be terrible? 

I recently reconnected with a friend that I haven’t spoken to much in a few years. She was a big smoking buddy. She’s still smoking. I was trying to tell her some of the great things about being a non smoker without sounding holier than thou. One thing that I starting thinking about as I was talking to her is how unbelievably thankful I am that I’m a non smoker and don’t have to wish I could quit. That was always terrible feeling... why can’t I quit? And the process of quitting was pure hell for me. I never want to go through that again. 

David, I don’t know how strong these cravings have been for you, but you know what you have to do, right? Redirection. Distraction. Reach out to us..

What are you doing when you get the cravings? 

Lori 

Quit July 3, 2018. 

David072118

May-3

Hi Lori! Thanks for responding!

I wondered if I would hear back from anyone in our group.

I'm so glad to hear you're not smoking! You helped me a lot in our quit.

Well...I did what I needed to do---I came back here and wrote, and read. That helped enough at the time, and I feel better today. I almost certainly wouldn't if I'd gone out and gotten cigarettes last night.

I don't know why I'm craving lately. It probably is partly the season.  Also,I don't think I ever really dealt with disassociating sitting outside and smoking and doing my creative thinking. It was always such a feeling of release for me, and I just stopped smoking and moved on and haven't ever worked out a different way. ?

I hope the rest of our group is doing well too! We need to stay strong a few more months and we'll have been two years quit! That was unimaginable back then.

Best wishes! Stay strong and healthy, and say "hi" to any of the others if you hear from them. 

Dave

NOPING since 07-21-2018

lori1531

May-3

David, 

Now that you mention it, I recently had another smoking trigger. I had a huge project due by a certain time. I make drapes. It was going to be a lot of hard work in a short amount of time to finish up. In the past, smoking was a way that I got through the difficult jobs. It also gave me something to look forward to while I was working. I thought about cigarettes a few times but kept working. I guess those really strong triggers will continue to pop up through the years.  

I hope we hear from the others 

Lori 

David072118

May-3

Hey Lori,

That would be a very strong trigger for me. Iso glad you powered through!

You're right. I guess we will encounter triggers for awhile. And we won't know when they will strike. At least we've got some practice under our belts.

I am doing much better after writing on the forum, and hearing back from you, AND having not smoked. 

I used smoking to motivate myself too. And, keep moving forward when I was uncomfortable or afraid. 

There has been more pressure to expose myself since the virus; galleries and stores that carried my pottery closed, so I've had to start building an online presence. I think that's been part of what's  behind the cravings. 

I imagine we will hear from others eventually. I sure hope everyone is ok.

And, I am truly glad you heard, and took the time to write. It would have felt especially lonely not to hear from anyone in our group at this time. 

Dave

lori1531

May-4

Dave, I didn’t know you made pottery. I’d love to see your work if you’d like to share. 

David072118

May-4

Hi Lori, Thanks, I'd like that.

I'll send you some pics in a bit.

blush

David072118

May-4

Hi Lori,

I'm trying to post some photos. They show up in the message body ok, just aren't posting as far as I can tell.

So, I will try smaller files and fewer photos and see what happens.  

Thanks for your patience :)

David072118

May-4

AhHa! Too many photos!  Just a couple more: