About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by slowblumer; 278506 views.
CindiS319

8/3/20

Hi Molly and CONGRATULATIONS on 2 years to you!!!

Like I just wrote to Gloria, that Summer of 2018 was a total blur to me.  I think I just did whatever I could to make it through each day without smoking.  I get an occasional whim now and then when something triggers me.  Usually something stupid or I'm just bored.  But I'm just so far away from it now (even with my husband still smoking) that I can't even imagine lighting up.  One day in the car I was pretty upset with something and said "gimme a cigarette" and he did and I held it for about 10 seconds and passed it back ... "no thanks".  Funny how long these feeling stay with us but they're really just a passing thought and definitely no where near a crave.  But here we all are 2 years later still smoke free!  I'm really happy for all of us.  Especially during these crazy crazy times.  I'm sorry to hear about your friend's husband.  That's just awful.

Well happy to see everyone still hanging around the forum now and then and sending big hugs!

Hi Cindi,

Great to hear from you. Late Congrats on your 2 years smoke-free also. The March 2018 Warriors were a wonderful group and support for us July Warriors and others. You guys helped & supported us SO much and gave us Hope to get thru withdrawal and trying to not smoke each day. Glad I kept a journal of my freedom ride as I can look back and see exactly what I/we were going thru. Hell week, then Heck week...I was actually in a fog for 2 weeks and unable to sleep (not at bedtime and at night). I went CT and the heart palpitations, sweating and withdrawal were REAL and most difficult to deal with the first 3 days: AWFUL. I thought I was gonna die. This could have been alleviated by smoking a cig but I had a made-up mind and I REFUSED to give in. I could make it all day without smoking and when I (tried) to go to bed, my body refused to let me sleep without my nicotine fix. It DEMANDED a cig or NO sleep tonight. This went on the first 2 weeks. Since I was retired and no major obligations, I enjoyed watching movies all night and took naps during the day. It would have been SO easy to just go back to smoking. But I REFUSED to give in. I decided and knew I would NEVER smoke again. I am kinda stubborn and determined when I want something. I knew I was not gonna die from nicotine withdrawal and just had to POWER thru. I was hanging on that rollercoaster ride for dear life. You guys from the March Warriors were such great mentors and supporters and encouraged us thru the darkness...just when we needed it most. Glad you guys were there to let us know what was up the road ahead. Glad we were on this journey together.

I hated that once folks made it to the Promised Land (the CLUBHOUSE!!), they went silent. Smoking was no longer an issue and most folks left. We did not need the support and did not have the same level of commitment to fighting Nic...he became and afterthought. I truly missed my online world friends and had to find something else to put my energy in.

So Happy & Glad to hear from you. Who would have thought Summer 2018 would be the Good ol' days when we were just trying to get thru a full day without smoking??!! We still have our armor on but we are not fighting like we were then. I am trying to stay safe from Covid now. And this month I made a commitment to not patronize stores/businesses that refuse to enforce the mask policies mandated by our Governor and even their own business. I am sick and tired of Covid and trying to keep my 91 Y O father safe. I take care of him 2 days per week. Wish I could kick Covid butt like we did Nicodemon. Working on it though...

So thankful to not be a smoker during this time. My Quit muscles and armor still work. 

Take Care and stay safe.

Gloria

Freedom since July 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflower

CindiS319

8/3/20

Hi Gloria and thank you for responding back.  Yes I really try and forget those days because they were horrible.  I guess I get frustrated at trying to tell people that it will get better, just because it is SUCH A LONG JOURNEY.  I am so grateful for our mods, friends and people that pushed us on.  I had many quits before this one so I for sure cannot blame them for giving in.  It is really hard and it definitely a mindset that you have to change.  I'm really happy for us that we made it to this point and I know anyone of us could go back in an instant.  It's a choice and not an easy one.  We can romanticize the whole 30/40 years but it's a bunch of BS.  It's an addiction and until I realized that, I had no chance.  Saying prayers for your dad during this difficult time and I am confident you will keep him safe.

Molly010

8/4/20

Hey Cindi,

So glad to hear from you!  Yes, we are all going strong.  When I think how many people started in my group and how many are left, I feel pretty lucky.  Lucky I did not give in like I had so many times in the past.  I do believe this forum was a saving grace for that.  I could always post and read your group's posts for inspiration.  You seemed to be light years ahead of us!  LOL 

2018 certainly does seem like a blur looking back.  The battle to get through the day and night without smoking was a big deal.  Glad we are all passed it.  Nice to hear you are doing well.  Thank you for the kind words.  He was a really fun and great guy.  Take care of yourself and hope to keep in touch!

Molly010

8/4/20

Hey Gloria,

So I was able to respond to an old post from October of 2019.  Did you start a new account?  I cannot reply to the last messages you sent.  Maybe check your settings to see if you are allowed to receive private messages.  I checked mine and they are supposedly okay.  It is so nice to have you back for a bit.  Let me know if there is anything you can change on your account.  I keep trying but messages don't go through to the last messages you sent.  disappointed

Molly010

8/6/20

Hey Gloria,

I was able to send you a message.  Let me know if you got it.  It looks like it went through okay.  :)

Molly,

Yes got your pm. Thanks. Enjoy your 2 day trip. Hope it rejuvenates you and your household. I made peach homemade ice cream this week. It was something to do and that I look forward to. I did not make much as no one but family to enjoy some. I will be attending my nephew's pandemic wedding on Sept 5th. He is getting married in a field on a farm...and everyone has to wear masks outside. They cut the wedding back to immediate/close family and wedding party only. Wish they would wait but they did not get a college graduation this year. Too much uncertainty in their lives and feelings of not being in control. I will attend only because it is OUTSIDE and mask mandatory. I will not hug or get close to them however...and I am sad about that. I HATE THIS PANDEMIC!!!

Hey JR,

I made homemade peach ice cream this week. It was something to do and I always make this time of year. No one much to share it with and I did cut back on the quantity. 

How are you doing on your quilts? Made anymore? Would love to see the pics of more that you finished or working on.

Gloria

Freedom since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflower

JR (DPartonFan)

8/9/20

Gloria,

I was thinking about your homemade peach ice cream a couple of weeks ago. It has been so hot I thought what a wonderful cooling treat that would be.

Did you Feel the earthquake this morning? I was still in bed and felt the bed started to shake and my house started to shake. Da Vinci started barking like crazy he thought someone was trying to get into the house I guess.

I have not been working on quilts for the past couple of weeks because I feel tired again all the time and have to go have the heart cath again tomorrow to see if my blockages are still OK or if I need another stent. I really wish I had never smoked that first cigarette when I was 15 years old and maybe I would not be going through so many cardiac problems right now.

I hope you have a good week ahead of you and please stay safe talk to you soon.

Molly010

8/11/20

Hey JR,

So glad you are on track too.  Yeah, I don't understand the mask thing.  Even though most people are good about it, there was one place that shut down because people were cursing and throwing things at the employees who requested they wear a mask.  That is just not necessary.  

How is your friend doing?  We all started on day 1.  It feels so overwhelming when you are just starting.  I remember seeing someone who made it 5 months and I thought "what I wouldn't give to be that far along right now."  The longer you go, the more grateful you are that you are not starting all over again.  The big reason I don't ever plan to smoke again.  Although every once and a while I dream that I smoked.  It's always so weird and I am disappointed in myself during the dream and trying to figure out why I am smoking in the first place! 

Hope your friend's surgery went well.