About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by slowblumer; 261199 views.
Denim50

1/1/21

CONGRATULATIONS! What a great way to bring in the New Year!  

Hi Molly, Marilyn, Brian, Cindi, & Denim

Happy New Year & 2021 to All!!kissing_heart I was gonna get on here in Jan to send good wishes to all and to celebrate surviving 2020 (What an AWFUL HORRIBLE year for most!!). I was SO hopeful, positive & looking forward to 2021 being so much better than 2020!! And guess what happened on Jan 9th??.....We got snow here on Jan 8th but it did not stick on road and most melted the same day. On Jan 9th when I went outside to put fresh water in my dogs outside water pan, I slipped and fell on some refrozen black ice on a stepping stone in my backyard. I was on the cold ground and could not get up for 5-10 minutes. I kept trying to get up but couldn't. I kept looking at my left foot and kept noticing it was at an odd angle. I could not get up because I had broken my ankle. I am single and live alone except for my 2 little doggies. I was in my back yard and it was early in morning. No one could see me from the front yard and street. One neighbor could see me if they were outside. I was trying to figure out how to get up off the cold ground. I thought about yelling hoping one of my neighbors would hear me and I thought about crawling back to my house. I decided not to panic and just kept trying to get up. I was finally able to maneuver to get on my R knee and was finally able to get up (adrenaline) and hop back to the house. I texted my family and told them what happened and that I was going to get myself together and go to Urgent Care. My family came like the calvary. Was hoping I had a bad sprain but figured it was broken as it swelled so fast and I could put no wght on it. One bone was cleanly broken.  So on top of this dam pandemic, I now had a broken ankle. So 2021 started off pretty badly for me. Was unable to help take care of my elderly father like before...and I felt so guilty as I was one of his primary caretakers. So my siblings had to take up the slack. It has now been 10.5 weeks and I am slowly healing. I wore a BIG boot for 8 wks...now in a brace for 6 weeks. Doing physical therapy 2x weekly. Had to board my 2 little dogs for 3 weeks as I was unable to care for them and take them outside 5-6x daily. They would run thru my walker and almost trip me. They were also afraid of the walker when I walked towards them. So this has been an experience. This has been really hard living alone and trying to do household chores and ADLs. I thought I was patient but really had to learn patience.

******continued*****

Hey Molly, Marilyn etal,

Sorry to hear you broke your ankle as well Marilyn...no Fun!! 10.5 weeks for me now and I am still not healed and back to normal. President Biden's Dr did not release him for 12 weeks when he broke his foot in Nov. I had no idea how long this recovery would be.  As bad as breaking an ankle is, I was still blessed as I broke my L ankle and could still drive. My family helped out alot but I hated bothering them as they had to cover my days taking care of Dad. Due to the pandemic and working remotely, more siblings were able to be available at Dad's to help more with his care. I felt more isolated and alone than I have ever felt...not even my little doggies around. Some people offered to help but did not really mean it. My family really came thru but were not always available due to taking care of Dad 24/7. I am doing better...resuming normal activities as tolerated now. I am wearing 2 shoes again! I am getting myself and my life together again. Will be glad to return to just the pandemic at this time.

I got my life-saving vaccine on Feb 6 & Mar 6 so I am fully vaccinated against covid 19. I also helped family and Sr citizens in the community get an appt to get the vaccine. I became a Serious Vaccine Hunter while laid up with this broken ankle at home. I found appts for at least 15 people...and people kept asking me to help them get an appt. I knew some olders folks may not be computer savvy enough to make an online appt that was required here to get an appt. I do not know of anyone else now who is looking for an appt for the vaccine. More clinics and vaccines available now.

Congrats Marilyn on retiring this year. My cousin who has been teaching 41 years retired in Jan...she was SO stressed out from the online teaching and tech required to do her job this year. Teaching was no longer fun. I felt sorry for teachers since the pandemic started. I know you are looking forward to your retirement and moving since your divorce. 

What is it with us Virginia women breaking our ankles? I am looking forward to being completely healed and able to walk without pain. And looking forward to this pandemic being over.

SO Thankful and Joyful to not be smoking since 2018. It is a distant memory now and I hardly ever think of a cig. Not even any dreams of cigs anymore or cravings when I have my coffee most mornings. I am overjoyed to be a non-smoker...How Sweet it is!! Looking forward to my 3 yr anniversary in July. Happy Spring to everyone.

Gloria (still kicking high with one leg at this time).

Molly010

Mar-24

Hey Gloria,

So sorry to hear about your leg!  Was just thinking about you and was going to post the other day but didn't get around to it.  Must have been scary laying there for a while wondering why you could not get up!  Glad you are healing and getting around a bit better.

I received my first dose of the vaccine and have my second scheduled for April.  My parents are having a hard time getting an appointment for some reason.  They live in Mass so my sister and I are trying to help get them an appointment.  So great of you to help other get appointments.  It is difficult for so many other people.  My state has been pretty easy for most. 

I lost my sweet dog on March 6.  We had to put her down.  She was acting strangely for a couple of days and then started having seizures.  I took her to three vets and they all sent her home thinking she was fine.  It was so frustrating.  The pain of her loss has been very difficult.  She was an absolute sweetheart and a big part of our lives.  Took her everywhere - stores, hiking, vacations.  I just got her ashes yesterday and am hoping to have some jewelry made.  Ironically, the thought of smoking didn't even cross my mind and I would have chain smoked if she died while I was still smoking. 

The year started off okay, but this month has not been so great.  My other dog was diagnosed with a degenerative disk disease two days ago, a long time friend of our family passed away on the 12th, and my boyfriend is having some minor health issues.  I am trying to focus on all the great memories, but I will miss her terribly and need to give myself time to grieve.   

Take care of yourself and write back when you can!  Below is a pic of my girl.  sweat

Hey Molly,

Happy June...At least I hope it is Happy. SO SO sorry to hear about your precious doggie!!! You have my sincerest condolences. I know you were devastated. It is SO hard to lose them. Heartbreaking. Hope you are doing better with less grief at this time. Great that you did not desire or think about smoking during that emotional time. You are truly an ex-smoker who has finally QUIT smoking. Kudos.

My broken ankle is better though still not healed. Almost 5 months!!! I stopped wearing the brace a week ago--Dr wanted me to try to not wear in June anyway. I quit physical therapy 2 weeks ago as I was paying $50/ weekly to attend. I got tired of paying and I am now able to walk down steps again (my last goal). I am so tired of all these unexpected medical bills since I broke my ankle. They keep coming!!?? I have Great Insurance but all these extra unexpected bills keep coming. I pay the co-pay and a bill...then receive another bill about 2-3 months later. I have great insur but will look for magnificent insur during the next open season. I cannot afford or plan for these unexpected multiple medical bills. I stopped therapy and probably not going to go back to the Orthopedic Dr due to probably having to pay $200-300 more than the copay and bill due. I have to pay for my continuing educ classes and renew my social work license this month. Plus my doggie with the heart failure got sick with vomiting and diarrhea--wouldn't eat and had the runs for 5 days. Home treatment did not work so I had to take him to a Vet. Could not find a Vet initially (his Vet died unexpectedly last year). The temp vet was out sick and only avail 3 days a week anyhow. I had to BEG another Vet practice to see him (they squeezed him in the next day at my pleading and crying). Of course that was a $300 bill. So no Drs or therapy for me in June--rather treat my dog!!

Gloria/ CONTINUED

Hey Molly,

CONTINUED: 

But the worst thing of all: My Sweet Precious Dad died on April 27th after a brief acute illness. He was 92 and developed a fever. He could not tell us he was sick due to his dementia. He had a UTI and gall bladder infection. I had just returned to caring for him in Mar since I broke my ankle in Jan. He had started holding food in his mouth in March and would or could not swallow sometimes. He was put on thickened liquids and pureed food by the end of March. He developed a fever Apr 7 and was hospitalized. We stayed with him in the hospital. (Thank God Covid had improved enough that they let one of us stay with him in hospital. We were SO thankful for that!!). He was too frail for gall bladder surgery so they treated with IV antibiotics. He improved but then got pneumonia. They added more antibiotics. But they finally told us that he would not survive. He was in hosp 16 days and was discharged home for 4 days before he died. He almost made it to age 93 this year. 

I am SAD and GRIEF Strickened at this time. I am now sitting home everyday with hardly any outside contacts now. I have to find a new life now that I am not taking care of Dad 2 days per week and we are almost out of a pandemic. My siblings have their lives, spouses, children and grandchildren. I have my two little doggies. 

I did not think of smoking once when Dad died and dealing with this grief. Smoking a cig would NOT have touched this grief anyhow!! What a gut-punch this was.

Talk more later. Hope you are having and looking forward to a Good summer.

Gloria 

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-10

Gloria and Lori,

I know you are both hitting your three year anniversary this month and just wanted to say congratulations to you both on your milestones.

I had not been on the forum for a few months and decided to kind of touch base again and start reading some posts again a couple of weeks ago.

Hope you are both doing well and hanging in with your quits. 

It’s been a very dry summer in TN and my yard is crunchy and brown. I have given up on the flowers in my yard this year.  It’s either give up or water them twice a day to keep them going so I decided to hope for a better growing season next year. Have had some health problems this year mostly staying tired a lot so I haven’t been working on any quilts this summer. Also gave away most of my soap making stuff to a good buddy of mine who has gone in to business selling soap. 
Gloria, when the hot part of summer gets here I always think of your peach ice cream. Aldi’s grocery here in my town sells peach ice cream during the summer and it is right tasty but I’m sure it isn’t near as good as home made.

I hope you got the card I sent. Was so sorry to read that your dad had passed. 

Lori, not sure if you still get notifications from the forum or not but just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you. Hope your quit is still going strong.

CC to lori1531
lori1531

Jul-12

Hi JR and Gloria! 

Its so nice to hear from you! I think about y’all often! Hope you are doing well. It’s so hard to believe that it’s been 3 years!

Just the other day, I was talking to a lady that I bike ride with in a group. When the group stops, she will have a smoke. I’ve wanted to share my quit story with her for a while, but there hasn’t been a natural opening. I don’t want to be preachy. I then remembered that most smokers want to quit. I told her about the tools that I used- nicotine patches and Wellbutrin, but I didn’t get around to the most important tool I had- you and this forum!  You guys were absolutely the difference between falling off the wagon and success. I’m still so thankful. I think I will send her a text and mention this forum. Maybe when she is ready to quit, she will check it out. 

I’ve been very busy making drapes and other things. Happy to have an income during covid for sure! What was life like for y’all during covid. How is it now? 

I have to get to work right now but would love to hear from you both again!  

Lori 

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-13

Lori,

Wow, it is so good to hear from you! I think about you, Gloria, Molly and Dave really often.  I think Gloria had to change her name to Missdogs2020 when she signed back up on the forum.  I could be wrong about that but I think it won't let you sign up again on a name you have used before. You may have to CC her as Missdogs2020 now.  Gloria, if you get this post...is that right?

Glad to hear first and foremost that you are hanging strong in your quit.  Isn't that the greatest thing?  It is so hard to believe we have made it to the 3 year mark after the first three months seemed so hard. Also glad to hear your business has been going strong through the pandemic.  It has been rough on a lot of small businesses.  I've been blessed in that the company I work for makes the plastics that IV bags and tubing are made from so we continued to run beyond full capacity through all of this and none of us lost any income.  I really do understand just what a blessing that is because I know a lot of folks who lost their entire income last year when everything shut down.  Hope your family made it through the pandemic without getting Covid.  I have had some family members who have had it.  One of my cousins died from it after her family had a big Christmas get together in December without wearing masks.  She started getting sick the day after Christmas and was admitted to the hospital and died about 4 weeks later. 

I haven't heard from our old quit buddy Dave072118 in a while.  I ordered several of the pottery pieces he had made in the last part of 2020. All of the pieces were beautiful and I use at least one piece or more every day.  I did talk to him some by phone and had to laugh because I think he had a hard time understanding my hillbilly dialect.  I'm not sure how he is doing with his quit but when I try to type his name in the CC box it doesn't come up, so he may not use the forum any longer.

Gloria is coming up on her 3 year anniversary on the 30th I think  and then Molly is coming up on hers Aug. 1st. It was really sad to read that Gloria had lost her Dad in April.  

So, back to the smoking- has your husband also stayed quit?  If you both have stayed quit all this time that is one great success story.  I was posting in another room recently about when I sometimes pull up beside someone stopped at a traffic light who is practically "making love" to their cigarette.  For just a fleeting half second I think it looks good and then I start thinking I'm so thankful not to "NEED" to do that anymore.  

Honestly, I wasn't sure I would ever get over the addiction but it seems like I am over it.  Being around my friends who smoke doesn't bother me but it also doesn't tempt me at all.  I just don't desire nicotine anymore.  But some people quit for several years and then go back to smoking and I realize I can't let my guard down completely about it.  

Been following the "Sensational Seniors" group for quite some time now.  There are three of them I think that post to each other almost daily.  That absolutely amazes me that they stay in contact like that.  I don't know when their quit year was - guess I could go back to their first post to see, hadn't thought about that.LOL But I really admire that they continue to keep in contact almost daily and I have enjoyed getting to know them through their posts even though I have never posted to any of them.  

Hoping to hear from Molly as her 3 year anniversary approaches.  I don't see the Mods posting on here at all anymore other that at the first of the month.  Really miss hearing from ModAndrea.  She was so instrumental in keeping me in the quit mode for the first year.  

OK...gotta tell you this, I found out TN had come out with a Dolly Parton tag for vehicles.  It's from her Imagination Library program.  Saw one on a car at Walmart one day and just HAD to have one but they were out of all of them.  Said the tornado that went through Nashville leveled the building that was making them.  So I called back every week for almost three months before they finally got some back in.  Now I have Dolly on my tag! LOL It really is a good picture of her.  The thing is....I'm not great about keeping my car washed so I guess my tag will be "Dirty Dolly" most of the time.  LOL

Anyway, again, I am so glad to hear from you.  Keep hanging in there with the quit and please post some from time to time.  We are definitely heading to the 5 year mark and it will be here faster than we realize now. 

Take care,

lori1531

Jul-14

JR, 

Hello! It was so nice to get such a nice, long message! 
First of all, Sensational Seniors have been posting since 2015! That’s amazing! It just goes to show you that you can make connections and lifelong friends anywhere. Wonder if those people have ever met up in real life? 
Glad you survived covid. So sorry to hear about your cousin. That’s a tragedy. Our entire family only met outside for get togethers. For Christmas Day we were all sitting outside, freezing in the cold around a campfire. Didn’t go in my parents house for over a year. They are in their 80s so they took extra precautions. No hugs for over a year!

Cleve and I both got covid last Nov. I was so surprised! We both were so careful. I rarely left the house and he only went to work in a small office and wore masks everywhere. It was so contagious though… we could have picked it up anywhere. It first crossed my mind when we were at a friends house on his back deck. Someone was smoking a cigar. Cleve couldn’t smell it. We both looked at each other and said, “uh oh”.  The next morning I felt some cold symptoms. I got tested that day. I was in bed for a week and felt lousy for two weeks. Terrible headache, head cold symptoms, dry cough and horrible body aches. I haven’t felt so bad in years. I was fortunate though! It could have been much worse. It never got into my chest. I worried that it would be worse, since I had smoked. Cleve only felt bad for a few days. He was blowing off the roof on day 3. 

I guess the closest person to me that died was my sister in laws father. During covid, he continued to meet his buddies for breakfast. He died a terrible, horrible death in the hospital, alone. So sad. 

Yes, my husband, Cleve, has stayed quit with me! It’s a miracle! Lol. We started bike riding in the spring after we quit. It has become something major for both of us! We both rode around 50 plus miles a week. He tends to ride more. We’ve made great friends and ride and socialize with those friends. We’ve also taken several bike trips out of town with them. It’s something we never could have done as smokers. 

Only occasionally I will think about smoking. It’s usually if sit out on the deck in my smoking spot. It’s just a passing thought though. No danger of starting again. I think we all talked to much about the dangers of having just one. I will never, ever have a puff. I have a few cycling buddies that vape. They are just as addicted as we were as smokers. They just get their nicotine a different way. As I mentioned before, there’s a lady that smokes on one of the rides that I go on. I can so relate to her. She has to stand far away from us at times to smoke. If we stop to get a drink or food inside somewhere, she usually stays outside. Other than mention the other day that I used to be a smoker, I’ve not talked much to her about it. Like us for so many years, she has no choice but to smoke. 

Since your message the other day, I’ve read a little in the July quitters group. I saw a few familiar faces! Anthony and Overdoz. I thought about jumping in and chatting with them. I’ll have to get back into that mindset again! I’ve kind of forgotten all of the tricks and tools that we used daily to stay quit. 

I was so sorry to hear about Glorias dad. Hope to hear from her soon. We need each other’s email addresses to touch base in case we drop off in this forum. 

talk to you soon! 
Lori