About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by slowblumer; 274769 views.
David072118

Jul-17

Hey Denim, thanks for the nice post! I really am so glad you guys are still around. I'll look for you pm and write more soon- have to hit it now.

Denim50

Jul-21

Hey Dave, 

I looked for you here today. I’m not sure if you restarted your quit or not. I wanted to let you know though that if you did, that’s great and we’re here to support you, and if you didn’t that we’ll still be here to support you when you are ready. Either way, please know we still look forward to hearing from you and continue to wish you the best. 

David072118

Jul-22

Hi Denim,

Thanks for thinking of me. Yes I thought it would be a neat day to quit since it would be the same day as I quit 3 years ago, but I didn't prepare enough for it. Yesterday and today I didn't smoke a number of cigarettes I normally would have, just moving on to the next thing I had to do. The idea was to exercise my "no" muscles, and build some confidence.

I also spent some time reading posts. Made me somewhat exhausted and feel like crying.

I am actively pursuing this quit, and gearing up for it. I need to read more articles. Last time Allen Carr's book, The Only Way To Stop Smoking was helpful to me. I  might have to buy it again, ugh.

Anyway, I will be on again looking for support from old quit friends and new quit buddies, and hoping my experience will be helpful to others.

Thanks so much for being here along with JR,  and I hope some of the others from my first group.

Love and support to all here.

Best,

Dave 07??21

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-22

Dave,

I’ve had you on my mind today too. Sounds like you are laying the groundwork for this coming quit. Whatever day you feel the inspiration and resolve kick in please let us know so we can support you. 
Hey I liked that picture you posted from your pottery. Is that going to be a coffee cup or mug? Wow, please post a finished pic of that once it is done. 
Glad to hear Xander is getting along ok. 
Hope your family is doing ok as well. I think the last time I talked to you your wife had just had surgery. I hope that went well for her. 
Well quit buddy, keep working on that foundation for your quit and we will be there to support you.

Always a Warrior!

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-22

Dave,

Want to add this poster for today.  I remember somebody posting it earlier in our original quit and it seemed to help me get inspired at a time when I couldn't even think about a year out.  I hope it inspires you and not stresses you out.

David072118

Jul-22

Thanks JR!

Cindy is doing pretty well. Has what they call drop foot, but she's not laid out on the floor asking for a bucket because she's in so much pain!

I'm so busy it's easy to not find the time to prepare, but I'm eager to quit.

Glad you liked the mug detail. I was going to post a pix of Xander now that he's full grown (he'll be three in September). He will also be very glad when I quit. He was so concerned when I had that first (couple) cigarettes, and I told him not to worry, I was only going to smoke a couple. He doesn't like me smoking.

While I'm writing, thanks for the poster below. I found it inspiring.

Best wishes,

Dave

Denim50

Jul-25

Hey Dave, 

I’m glad you’re at least able to cut down on the numbers of them while you prepare. I’m guessing maybe you haven’t quit yet since there’s no recent post, but I’m going to attach some articles to help you prepare. I know quitting is hard but I’m so glad that you’re giving it another go. It took me more than one try too. The last time before this quit, I reached a point where I was doing really good with it, then thought I could have one. That was in June 2016, then I found myself here on the forum in March 2018 trying to quit again. So I understand that not everyone gets it on the first go. I’m glad you came back to try again. As I told Anthony before, one will stick. Hard yes, impossible no. I’ll keep check and try to help in whatever way I can and cheer you on, along with JR. Anyway, I’m going to post the articles now. Keep in touch and we’ll talk more soon.

Btw, did you finish that mug? It was looking good.  

Have a great day. 

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
David072118

Jul-26

Thanks Denim!

I do want to quit again!

Thanks for posting the articles, I'll read them today!

Hope you have a great day.

Dave

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-26

Lori,

I just read a post from one of the sensational seniors that said they are celebrating 14 years of quit. Looks like something changed in the forum in 2015 and they had to set up on the new forum with new names or something. And they still keep in touch almost daily. That blows my mind! 

I’ve had your covid illness on my mind a lot and since you had it pretty bad to begin with I’m thinking if you had still been smoking you might have had a very serious outcome on that virus. I really may overthink things but honestly it’s been on my mind that quitting smoking in 2018 may have saved your life in 2020. I remember them saying early on that smokers were at a much higher risk of having to go on a ventilator. When I first read that I was so thankful that I had already quit. Really I was thankful for all of us that we had been able to quit before this pandemic hit. 

I got a card from Gloria last week in the mail but she hasn’t posted on the forum. Not sure if she isn’t getting her notification s from the forum or something and she may not know that folks on here have been posting to her. Her three year anniversary is coming up on the 30th I think so maybe she will log in and get caught up then. 

Hope you are having a good week. I think my doctor is about to release me to go back to work next week and I am looking forward to going back but dread having to get caught up on emails and new procedures. I’ve been off almost two months and will probably have several hundred procedure change emails to get caught up on. The guy that has been filling my job has kept in fairly good contact with me so that may help speed thing s up when I get back.

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-26

Lori,

I meant to pm you my email address back when I first read this post

but forgot about it. I’ll try to do the pm now.