About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by slowblumer; 275922 views.
David072118

Jul-22

Thanks JR!

Cindy is doing pretty well. Has what they call drop foot, but she's not laid out on the floor asking for a bucket because she's in so much pain!

I'm so busy it's easy to not find the time to prepare, but I'm eager to quit.

Glad you liked the mug detail. I was going to post a pix of Xander now that he's full grown (he'll be three in September). He will also be very glad when I quit. He was so concerned when I had that first (couple) cigarettes, and I told him not to worry, I was only going to smoke a couple. He doesn't like me smoking.

While I'm writing, thanks for the poster below. I found it inspiring.

Best wishes,

Dave

Denim50

Jul-25

Hey Dave, 

I’m glad you’re at least able to cut down on the numbers of them while you prepare. I’m guessing maybe you haven’t quit yet since there’s no recent post, but I’m going to attach some articles to help you prepare. I know quitting is hard but I’m so glad that you’re giving it another go. It took me more than one try too. The last time before this quit, I reached a point where I was doing really good with it, then thought I could have one. That was in June 2016, then I found myself here on the forum in March 2018 trying to quit again. So I understand that not everyone gets it on the first go. I’m glad you came back to try again. As I told Anthony before, one will stick. Hard yes, impossible no. I’ll keep check and try to help in whatever way I can and cheer you on, along with JR. Anyway, I’m going to post the articles now. Keep in touch and we’ll talk more soon.

Btw, did you finish that mug? It was looking good.  

Have a great day. 

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
David072118

Jul-26

Thanks Denim!

I do want to quit again!

Thanks for posting the articles, I'll read them today!

Hope you have a great day.

Dave

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-26

Lori,

I just read a post from one of the sensational seniors that said they are celebrating 14 years of quit. Looks like something changed in the forum in 2015 and they had to set up on the new forum with new names or something. And they still keep in touch almost daily. That blows my mind! 

I’ve had your covid illness on my mind a lot and since you had it pretty bad to begin with I’m thinking if you had still been smoking you might have had a very serious outcome on that virus. I really may overthink things but honestly it’s been on my mind that quitting smoking in 2018 may have saved your life in 2020. I remember them saying early on that smokers were at a much higher risk of having to go on a ventilator. When I first read that I was so thankful that I had already quit. Really I was thankful for all of us that we had been able to quit before this pandemic hit. 

I got a card from Gloria last week in the mail but she hasn’t posted on the forum. Not sure if she isn’t getting her notification s from the forum or something and she may not know that folks on here have been posting to her. Her three year anniversary is coming up on the 30th I think so maybe she will log in and get caught up then. 

Hope you are having a good week. I think my doctor is about to release me to go back to work next week and I am looking forward to going back but dread having to get caught up on emails and new procedures. I’ve been off almost two months and will probably have several hundred procedure change emails to get caught up on. The guy that has been filling my job has kept in fairly good contact with me so that may help speed thing s up when I get back.

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-26

Lori,

I meant to pm you my email address back when I first read this post

but forgot about it. I’ll try to do the pm now.

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-26

Ok I think I did the p.m. right.

lori1531

Jul-27

Hey JR, 

You are so right about what you said about when I got Covid… my quitting in 2018 may have saved my life in 2020. While I felt horrible, I keep waiting to get worse, or for it to go into my lungs. I have a cycling friend that was a covid clinic nurse at the time, that called to check on me and to hear how I sounded. He was concerned about shortness of breath, but I was fine as far as that goes. A friend also mentioned that all the cycling that  I do may have helped me have healthier lungs and heart. I’ve heard of pediatrician near here that has heart and lung damage from covid and she’s younger than me. I do feel very lucky that it wasn’t too bad for husband and I. 

Are your health problems related to the issues you had in 2018? Glad to hear you are better and able to return to work. 

Did you mention that you haven’t been quilting? 

talk to you soon! 
lori 

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-27

Lori,

I have been off work initially waiting to get oxygen added to my CPAP machine because my oxygen level has been dropping below 88% a lot while I am sleeping.  My oxygen is great when I am up and active, the problem is just when I am asleep.  In the meantime my Aunt that helped raise me passed away Jun 14th. She as really more like my mother than Aunt.  Anyway, my family had a normal old funeral where NOBODY wore masks but me.  There were probably 250 - 300 people that came through the line and all of our family that came in from North Carolina and South Carolina had upper respiratory viruses and I got it really bad.  

Have had swollen lymph nodes in the neck and sore throat for 5 weeks now.  It is just now clearing up. So I had to quit using the CPAP machine for a while to let the throat and vocal cords heal up from the irritation. I've had severe laryngitis for the past five weeks too with some days that I couldn't speak at all.  My voice has just started getting back to normal the past few days. 

The medical department at my company won't let me come back to work until I've had about a week or so back on the CPAP with the oxygen to see if I have more energy.  I am slowly improving, it's just frustrating that I come from a family who doesn't care if they make other people sick. 

My energy level has been very low for most of this year so I haven't been quilting any this year.  I have a quilt under the machine with the needle still down in the fabric where I stopped on it back at the end of last year or beginning of this year.  It won't take a lot of time to get it finished and now that I'm starting to feel some better I am getting inspired to set back in on it and get it finished.

Also, I usually cook a lot out in the yard during the summer with my Sun Oven.  Usually bake homemade bread and cookies and really cook about anything I can cook in the oven on my stove. It has a two layer cooking pot with it that I like to use most of all.  I'll put a Roast Beef in the top pot with potatoes, carrots and onions and then throw a sliced up head of cabbage in the bottom pot with some Chicken broth, black pepper and butter. My favorite bread to bake is homemade dill bread.  I've always been a dill junkie.  I love everything dill!  But this year I haven't felt like even putting it out in the yard at all.  Now that I'm feeling more rested I am anxious to get to cooking some outside.  Not sure if we had talked about my oven on here before but it looks like something you are trying to contact an extraterrestrial with.  You can google it to see what it looks like....it's called an All American Sun Oven. I've had strangers pull in my driveway just to ask me what that thing is in my yard.  Cracks me up when they do that but they are always amazed that it will cook that good just using the sun.  I also have a solar cooker that is a tube and it gets super hot.  That one is called a GoSun Sport.  The Sport is smaller but gets a lot hotter, on a good day it gets hot enough to fry bacon even.  

Gonna go for now. Hope you are having a good day and a great week. 

(update) I somehow managed to figure out how to get pictures of my cookers in a post.  It's the next post down.

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-27

Here are my solar cookers.

lori1531

Jul-29

Hi JR, 

I hate that you’ve had to go through all of that with your cpap machine and the oxygen. I’m sure it’s no fun feeling like you have no energy at all. So you did get the oxygen for the machine? My husband also uses a cpap. He says he can really tell when he doesn’t use it at night or if he takes the mask off early. I don’t sleep as well either if he’s not wearing it! The snoring! 
I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t have another statewide mask mandate here. Our youngest son is starting to school at UAB this fall. They have issued mask mandate. Everyone has to wear a mask indoors in all buildings. Peeps need to get vaccinated! 
I hope that you will pick up your quilting again soon! That’s one of those things that I could see myself doing. I certainly have the equipment for it. I have a friend that’s an artist. A few years back she decided she wanted to learn to quilt. She designed some quilts and entered them into a show and won several categories. The little old ladies were furious!! Haha! one of these days I’m going to make one. I was looking at the quilts from QuiltCon recently. So creative. That would also be a great show to go to. 

I am so surprised at your solar ovens. So weird! I have never seen anything like those. I guess the craziest cooking I do is in the instant pot. 

talk soon! 
Lori