About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by slowblumer; 279185 views.

JR, 

Sorry about your breathing and energy issues. Hope you get straightened out soon. And I envy your Dolly Parton plates. Wish I could get for my car. I will let you know when I make my peach ice cream.

Hang in there.

Let's keep kicking Cig Butt!!

Gloria

Freedom, Peace & Joy since 30 July 2018....How Sweet it is!!sunflowersunflowersunflower

Hey Molly,

Waiting on you to arrive for our mutual celebration & to get our party started. Come on gurl!!dancersraised_hands

Gloria

Freedom, Peace & Joy since 30 July 2018....How Sweet it is!!sunflowersunflowersunflower

Molly010

Jul-31

Hi Gloria,

So so sorry to hear about your dad passing.  I know taking care of him was a big part of your life.  Because of covid, things have changed so much.  I believe you said you were working a while back at a school.  Were you able to continue with that during Covid?

Broken bones take forever to heal!  I sprained my ankle about 15 years ago and it took a good two years for it to feel somewhat normal and another significant amount of time for it not to give out on me.  

The last couple of months have been much better.  I still miss my sweet doggie, but adopted a new one.  My other dog Captain seemed very depressed after she passed.  I adopted a new dog from a local shelter here.  I named her Evie.  She was underweight and had lots of skin issues that are clearing up.  Had to get her some shots at the vet for allergies.  She is young so she has lots of energy but she gets along well with Captain and is adorable.  I will have to post a picture later.  She has really big ears like a gremlin.  LOL  

My sister is coming out to visit in August with my niece so I am looking forward to that.  Still working and I worked throughout the pandemic.  Want to plan a trip with my boyfriend to go somewhere but still trying to figure out a place.  I have never taken a nice tropical vacation.  Thinking about Hawaii or cancun or some place like that.  

Anyway, congratulations on three years!!!   So nice not to think about smoking as I remember how difficult those first few months were.  Glad we are all keeping in touch too.  Hope you are having a great summer!  

Molly010

Jul-31

Hi Denim,

Thank you for the condolences.  Sorry to hear about your friend passing.  Seems there has been a lot of loss over this past year.  People I know who have passed from Covid as well as people who are passing away for other reasons.  

It is wonderful that we are all celebrating 3 years this year!  I remember reading posts from your group when I first quit and thought how it seemed you were so much further along and wondered how you all made it so far.   After about 5 months, I was the only one left in the August group so the Smoke Free Warriors sort of adopted me.  :)  So grateful for all of you on this forum.  It really was a great form of support.  

What types of projects are you working on?   I will be hiking this morning with a new dog I adopted from a nearby shelter a couple of months ago.  My other dog Captain is doing better, thank God!  So is my boyfriend.  

Hope you are having a great summer!

Molly010

Jul-31

Hello Lori and JR!

So happy to read your messages and congratulations on 3 years!!!  

Sorry to hear about your Covid illness Lori.  My coworkers husband passed away from it early on in the pandemic last year.  He was a smoker and was on a ventilator for almost 3 months before he passed away.  Very sad because his family could not really visit with him.  They were allowed to see him right before he passed away, but mostly, they could only see him through video messages.  Another friend of mine ended up in the hospital for about 5 days after getting Covid.  She was just on oxygen though.  She quit smoking 5 years ago and truly believes she could have died if she had not quit.  

After reading your message about the friend who lights up while you are riding your bikes, I often feel the same way.  There are times I want to tell people I know my quit story, but I also don't want to sound preachy.  It is more wanting to share how wonderful it is to be free from it!  

Hey JR, Sorry for the loss of your aunt.  How are you feeling now that it has been a couple of days?  Imagine how much worse you would be feeling if you were still smoking.  Whenever I start to feel a bit sick, I always know it would be worse if I were still smoking.

I am loving your sun ovens!  I didn't even know they existed. 

Hope you two are having a great summer!  So glad to hear from you.  :)

Molly010

Jul-31

Hello Gloria!

I am here and ready to party!  Woo hoo!  Three years!  Seems like a life time ago that I was stressing about cigs and do I have enough for the night and where can I find a place to smoke so I don't bother anyone.  Saving money, saving our lives, (literally), and just feeling free.  

I am going to hike with my dog Evie this morning, then I am meeting with some friends from law school for lunch.  My official day is not until tomorrow, but at this point, it doesn't matter.  Could not have made it through without your support and the help of this forum.  So glad we are continuing on with this journey.  Hope you have some plans to celebrate today.  Will talk to you soon! 

HAPPY QUIT ANNIVERSARY Molly....Way to Go!!! blushblush We did it for 3 YEARS now. Isn't it wonderful?? I am SO Blessed, Thankful & Joyful to have NOT smoke for the past 3 years. We didn't look back or turn back---kept going forward. It does seem like another lifetime that I used to smoke. Glad I made the decision and wanted to Quit. It was wonderful having the support of wonderful folks on this forum...warriors on the battlefield together. two_women_holding_handscouple

Glad you got another doggie in your life. I am sure your other dog was lonely & depressed, they do grieve as well. I have had 2 dogs for the last 20 yrs as I am SO devastated when they die AND to have to come home to an empty house was too difficult. I have 2 dogs so I do not have to be dogless!! Most dogs like a canine (or feline) buddy to hang out with. My 2 actually LOVE to sleep together now...even though that cranky old male chihuahua would attack the other dog initially if she touched him. Think they started sleeping together when I boarded them for 3 weeks when I broke my ankle (same kennel I guess). I was shocked to see that they will sleep cuddled together now. He will still snap at her if he gets into HER bed first---she has to go to bed first and then he squeezes into her bed. They sleep together at least half the time. 

My ankle is still bothering me...not completely healed yet (almost 7 months). I am doing therapeutic walking and steps at the nearby H.S. track/stadium 3x weekly which helps GREATLY. So I go walking at 7:15 am before the heat gets too bad.

Trying to figure out something productive & fulfilling to do with my life since not spending 2-3 days weekly with Dad. Barely hear from siblings now. So no phone calls or texts hardly. I am online more now like I was when I broke my ankle in Jan. Have not worked a job since Dec 2019. I was offered a virtual job since Dad died but I am too "Old School" for that. How do I engage mentally ill clients virtually??!! Most don't have computers or laptops and it is too impersonal if they did. I can't social work like this. I have become a dinosaur!!! 

The trend is to return to mask mandates in this area but I absolutely refuse at this time...unless they enforce it. I am fully vaccinated and they only want to restart mask mandates because of the anti-vaxers who will not get vaccinated and so many unvaccinated who will NOT wear masks. How is that mask mandate going in LA?? My area did not enforce the mask mandate last year before the vaccine. I was Livid and stopped patronizing stores who did not enforce--told them I would return when the pandemic was over. I refuse to wear a mask for the rest of my life because peeps will not get vaccinated. They don't control me. I wear a badge showing I have been vaccinated. 

Have a wonderful weekend and anniversary. Sharing a virtual toast with you. Cheers!!!dancers

Gloria

JR (DPartonFan)

Aug-1

Molly,

Celebration Time! Three years behind you now and without the nicodemon! Congratulations on a milestone that at first seemed impossible to reach.  Hope you did get to celebrate with your friends.

I'm starting to feel a little bit better and am going back to work tomorrow.  This "getting my energy back " process may take a few weeks as they say it is a gradual thing.  

As for the solar cookers - I had never heard of them either and several years ago I was watching a video of this woman who was prepared for her family's "temporal salvation" by keeping 10 years worth of food in their house at all times.  She kind of sounded like a doomsday nutcase to me but hey, I'm not judging.  So I wasn't impressed at all with her presentation but she kept referring to canning some of her food in an All American Sun Oven that was sitting on the floor in front of her but out of the view of the video.  Even though I wasn't very impressed about her gloom and doom presentation (though when the pandemic started last year and grocery shelves were empty I certainly did think about this woman's preparation a lot...gotta give her credit on that one!), anyway her continual reference to her Sun Oven really piqued my curiosity and I googled it and started reading about it.  Well, the thing was as pricey as a full size basic stove but I had to have one.  I love it.  I think I've had it for about 7 years now. I bake homemade breads and roast beef meals, meatloaf and just anything that can be cooked in a regular oven.  I like to bake chocolate cakes in it as well. But the company that makes them absolutely does not recommend canning food in them because it doesn't get hot enough to kill the dangerous bacteria in the jars. It would be a shame for Miss Gloom & Doom lady to have all that food put back for doomsday and then kill her entire family with Botulism! Lol Depending on the temperature that it gets up to some things have to be cooked a little longer than they would have to be in a normal oven.  It will usually get up to 300-350 degrees but sometime in August and September it will get a little higher than 350.  It does great on cookies and sometimes I get on a cookie kick when we have some sunny days.  Usually during the summer I will bake loaves of homemade Dill Bread on sunny days and then seal them up and put it them in the freezer for winter.  Haven't done that yet this year but now that I'mm feeling a little better I may have to play "catch up". 

Gonna go for now. Congratulations again on your three year milestone. We are thrilled to have you as one of our Warriors with our group!

Molly010

Aug-1

Hello Gloria!

It's cute that your dogs sleep together.  Captain prefers to sleep on the couch mostly but Evie loves to sleep with us.  She runs under the covers and stays there almost the whole night.  Captain is our "old man" dog.  He has some arthritis and back issues but he has been doing well recently.  

For my job too, I have noticed that if therapy is recommended most of it is being done remotely.  Seems a bit odd to me, but that is how some places are doing it these days.  

There is a mask mandate in LA county but not for the whole state.  The courts require masks but are not requiring social distancing.  It is frustrating that we have to do this for the unvaccinated groups that are filling up the hospitals now.  My understanding is, we can still get it and pass it on to others, but we shouldn't end up in a hospital or dead.  I saw one doctor on TV say that someone told him in the ER that she would rather die of Covid than get the vaccine.  My question to her would be: why go to the ER then?  They are going to give her drugs to treat covid and she is taking up a bed. 

You will find something to fill your days.  Just give it some time and figure out what you might want to do.  Is your town open?  Maybe you can do some volunteer work somewhere if that's your thing.  Or start a new hobby.  

Cheers to three years!!  Today is my official quit day.  Hope you are enjoying the weekend!

• Edited August 1, 2021 5:15 pm  by  Molly010
Molly010

Aug-1

Hey JR,

Glad you are feeling better and are well enough to return to work.  

I have to admit, I looked into prepping a bit when Covid started too.  Some of those people are a bit over the top, but there is some sense of security knowing you have what you need if anything does happen.  Sounds like that woman didn't look into these enough if you aren't able to get rid of certain bacteria with these ovens.  I suppose she could put it over a regular fire first?  Although that would defeat the point of the ovens.  If they only get to a certain temperature, then she will figure it out soon enough!  I want to look into these now though.  We live in LA, which has a lot of earthquakes so if we can't use our stove, this is a great alternative.  Is there a particular brand you recommend?

Your three year anniversary is coming up soon.  Will be here before you know it!  

• Edited August 1, 2021 5:30 pm  by  Molly010