About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

August Champions 2015   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 9/3/15 by ModDee; 325425 views.
In reply toRe: msg 2
Corrado79

9/3/15

We have a home!! I think the name is very fitting.

I must say. I hate this suffering. That's the only way to describe it. I'm not romancing the cigarette but it is very difficult for me. I have been trying to quit for YEARS and it's just annoying! Can't stand it. Anyway. That's my rant for the day. How is everyone else? Hope everyone is having a better moment than I am.  

JoJoMn

9/3/15

Hello, Corrado. You have been doing well.

And yes...it is hard. But COPD and cancer treatments are harder. They are physically excrutiating and psychologically taxing.

By comparison...

Withdrawal is the ONLY part of our quit that has physically taxing.  For 3 days on average. Football players go through a lot more in two-a-days before the season starts.

The rest is mostly between the ears.  The mental withdrawal.  The combating the Junkie Thinking. Our minds are conditioned to recognize a certain level of nicotine in our systems as optimal.  And to send us a signal to light up. That signal is a crave.  It also knows, from the past, that within a certain period of time,  the hit of nicotine will come - so it only lasts for a few moments. If not satified, another crave is sent.  If we cave, it cements: yep, that worked. And we continually have trained our brain to give us the command to maintain the nicotine level. Over and over and over. Day after day after day. Year after year after year. Sad: crave. Happy: crave. Hungry;: crave. Satisfied: crave. Because those activities/emotions in the past have been signals that the nicotine level will go up. 

NOW...we are trying to live WITHOUT feeding our bodies nicotine. And our brain only knows to crave - measure nicotine level - crave if level is low --- crave if we are fulll - crave if we are stressed - litierally ad nauseum.  And we are in mental withdrawal. Trying to teach this extremely powerful muscle - our brains - to think differently than we have taught it for years to think the Junkie Thoughts. We are fighting ourselves. Our will against the addiction. 

THAT is quitting in a nutshell. 

I taught my brain. Now it wants what I taught it to want. And I am upset because it does what I taught it.

WHICH is the work we do.

By the way: a crave goes away whether we cave or don't. We are not in ONE continuous crave. We are in intermittent mental craves. Which is why the FIVE D'S work. The secret to quitting.

D 1:  DISTRACT. Do something else to occupy the brain.  Take a walk. A puzzle. A movie. A scream. Jumping jacks. Whatever.  

D 2: DRINK WATER. Ice cold is best.  Occupies the hand, the mouth, hydrates our bodies (most smokers are usually slightly dehydrated), cleanses the body from impurities.  It will also make you go to the bathroom more often - lol - side effect.

D 3: DELAY.  Wait.  One common use here: post a HELP needed post, WAIT for 3 replies. 

D 4: DEEP BREATHS. Most smokers hold their breaths all the time. Just watch your own breathing - how much you hold it. Smoking is breathing in and out - junk but air too. SO... Slowly breathe in thru your mouth...deeply...hold a few seconds...exhale very slowly...repeat...repeat...as often as necessary.

D 5. DISCUSS. Your support network. Tell your friends, family that are supportive what you are going thru. And come here and post.

Common things that help in more than one of the above: plastic straw used as fake cigs. Mints. Gum drops. Stress balls. 

And educate yourself. 

Best to you.

Jo *

grannieA

9/3/15

Hi Corrado,

How well I remember that feeling early in the quit. Like I was suffering. I guess I was because it sure felt like it to me. But I will tell you that early on, the thought of having a cigarette absolutely consumed me. If I woke up in the middle of the night I thought of how I used to smoke but now I don't.

Thought of cigarettes filtered into everything I did all day long. 

Believe it or not somewhere along the way my brain spent more time thinking about other things. Each day that goes by your mind will fill up with other thoughts. Cigarettes will not consume every waking moment of your day. And I don't mean craving a cigarette. But it was the constant thought that I smoked before and now I don't. It was really hard to give up. I really loved that first cigarette in the morning with coffee. Now I have my coffee without a  smoke and really don't think much about it. . 

These constant thoughts will go away in time. In will happen for you......

You're doing great in your quit!

annepalm_treepalm_treepalm_tree

Corrado79

9/3/15

Thank you jo. I needed that. Your feedback is much appreciated. This group reminds me of the one I was in 5 years ago. The September Stompers. They were a great group. I still speak with some of them. A couple we have lost to the damage cigarettes can do. Again, thank you!!

Corrado79

9/3/15

Thanks, Anne. The morning one was a favorite of mine, lol. I had my morning coffee this morning and it wasn't too bad. I know these feelings will pass. I know I shouldn't entertain the thoughts but sometimes I just feel like throwing a tantrum! So I will throw a tantrum until the feeling passes! But instead of saying "I want a cigarette" I say, "I want this weight lifted off my chest already!" All in time, right? 

JoJoMn

9/3/15

So...you know the drill??? Naughty boy...Here I go tap-tap-tapping and he knows it. 

Del dicho al hecho hay mucho trecho!

(From saying to doing there is a long road.)

Like Nike.... JUST DO IT!!!!

Peace,

Jo *

Corrado79

9/3/15

Lol. Yes I do know it. I think sometimes that's the problem. I know all the information yet I let this addiction get to me. Acceptance is key. Not sure I fully accept. I definitely know but accepting is a little more tricky. But like you said. JUST DO IT!!!

Sooz007

9/4/15

I like the idea of just throwing a tantrum instead of smoking, lol.  I say we pick a time and all of us throw out toys out of the pram at the same time, have a good giggle after and all feel better - I bet we don't think of smoking for a few minutes there either!  Ha ha, thanks for the giggle.

Sooz :)

Sooz007

9/4/15

Morning Miss Gorgeous!  Did you manage to get your two cups of tea yet this morning.  We need it after the amount of champagne consumed last night.  You were last in - was the house tidy?  I'm feeling a bit brighter today, it's nearly the weekend, funny that!  I have decided to do a lot of exercise over the weekend - I have spoken with my doctor and we have decided that my menopause arthritis is not made better or worse with exercise so I can just work through it.  Good news even though it's painful during the flare ups.  But once I'm through the menopause it should hopefully just disappear.  Fingers crossed. One less thing to worry about.  And now I can really focus on getting rid of the weight I have gained since I quit.  Don't worry Rula I haven't gained any more since I stabilised last week, it's just doesn't seem to want to leave me.

Have a great day being Group Champion!

Sooz :)

youdi

9/4/15

Hi Jojo,

Thanks!!!  My resolve to quit is reaffirmed by reading your post. It has tit-bits of all the important information related to quitting. I have saved it in a notepad and I am going to read it whenever I suffer from a pang.