About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome January 2019 Ex Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 12/31/18 by ModAndrea; 224619 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)
ModAndrea

12/31/18

Welcome New Ex-Smokers

Congratulations on taking that all important first step with cessation - putting the last cigarette out and getting started.

Chances are you don't feel 'ready' to quit, and are wondering how on earth you're going to make it through the next few hours, let alone the next few days, smoke-free.

Take a few deep breaths and relax...

You have found the best quit aid on the planet - this forum community. The folks here know what you're going through because we've all been through it ourselves. We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, so park yourself in front of your computer and read everything you can on this forum board and elsewhere about what to expect from smoking cessation.

Below are a few articles to get you started:

Quit Buddy Groups
The people we move through cessation with - our quit buddies - are special. This thread is a place for those of you who are quitting this month to connect with one another as you get your quit 'legs' under you. It is right here that your quit group will begin to take shape.

By the time this month is over, you'll have a group name and a thread of your own to share in the Quit Buddies Unite folder located in the left column of this page under the DISCUSSIONS heading.

Bud
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
NoTobac

12/31/18

Thanks Andrea. I've been waiting on this class. I'm scared and apprehensive but I'm looking forward to being smoke free! 

Paula62

12/31/18

Hi, I hope I'm in the right chat forum.  Tomorrow Jan 1st is my quit date. 

ModAndrea

12/31/18

Hey, NoTobac! Good to see you here. blush

This January thread is a group for those who are quitting smoking this month as opposed to a class.  However, you will receive information that will help you on your journey to a lifetime of freedom from smoking.

We encourage you to stick close to the forum and post often. The others who join  this group will be your quit buddies. It's a tremendous help to be able to share what you're experiencing with folks who are going through the same thing.

You can do this, NoTobac!

Hugs,

Andrea

• Edited December 31, 2018 4:00 pm  by  ModAndrea
ModAndrea

12/31/18

Welcome to the forum, Paula! Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!

You've come to the right place. I smoked for 40 years and tried quitting numerous times. This forum gave me the knowledge and support I needed to quit, and that was over five years ago.  I am thankful every day that I quit smoking. It is so worth it.

You can do this, Paula! I'm glad you're here. blush

Hugs,

Andrea

Paula62

12/31/18

Sorry I must be in the wrong forum.

Paula62

12/31/18

Nope right one. 

Paula62

12/31/18

Thanks, glad to be here. 

In reply toRe: msg 7
ModAndrea

12/31/18

Some great advice as you begin your journey. Remember to take this one day at a time. 

Hugs,

Andrea

CC to NoTobacPaula62
In reply toRe: msg 9
ModAndrea

12/31/18

Here's some information that ModDee put together that will help you find your way around the forum. blush

Forum Navigation Basics

1. Take a look to the left at the DISCUSSIONS section to the left of this page

• Click on the drop down menu in grayed area immediately beneath it.
  • If you click on All you will see all the folder categories; folders like, Introduction/Newcomers Nook, Quit Buddies Unite, Forum Navigation and Rules, General Chit-Chat etc. When you scroll down the system shows you if there are new messages (bold text) in the thread. 
  • Hierarchy of threads (discussions) within a folder: threads are sorted within a folder by the latest date/hour of a post within thread. If you click on a thread without a new message the system will take you to the beginning of the thread.
  • When you click on the drop down menu you can also select things like

Unread to me (messages to you waiting to be read).

• When you log in to the forum, the "DISCUSSIONS" section will show the "Unread Msgs" category at the top of the discussions area. Beneath the "Unread Msgs" title will be all the folders containing unread messages since your last visit, starting with the Introductions/Newcomers Nook folder. When you scroll down to for example the "Quit Buddies Unite" folder if there are no new messages in your quit buddies group it is not going to be at the top of quit buddies unite category. Continue to scroll down past all the quit buddies folders that have new messages (they are in bold text) until you find your group.

2. Click on the drop down menu on your profile picture/avatar at the top right of the page. Review the content of each one.

• My Profile Photo ( you can add or change your avatar or photo)
  • My Profile
  • My preference
  • My Account
  • Help
  • Logout

3. Please familiarize your self with the Help button contents

This is where you can browse Delphi FAQs for general information, or post a question in one of the Support Forums, where Delphi staff, volunteers, and knowledgeable members are happy to lend a hand. You will also find "How To" guides that are fully illustrated tutorials that show you exactly how things work on Delphi forums

4. When you click on a folder heading like "Quit Buddies Unite' to read or post, the gray drop down menu under the DISCUSSIONS section changes to "Single folder". Once you've finish what you're doing in that folder to see all the folder headings again, click on the gray drop down menu under DISCUSSIONS and click on ALL which will bring up all the folder titles.

5. Education about our addiction and the cessation process is a major component of a successful permanent quit. Take a look at the articles in the link below they were written especially for new ex-smokers.

Homework For New Ex-Smokers

http://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/3435/1

Personal Signatures

There are 3 levels of membership at Delphi forums - DelphiBasic (free), DelpiExtra ($19.95 per year) and DelphiPlus ($4.95 per month). Only the two paid tiers (DelphiExtra and DelphiPlus) allow you to carry a signature field that you can customize with graphics. The two paid subscriptions also allow you to browse forums ad-free.

You can take a look at a comparison chart of the plans here:

http://www.delphiforums.com/plans.ptt

Please feel free ask any question and to join in any discussion on the forum that interests you.

6. Familiarize yourself with the other folders in the Forum Navigation and Rules Category. They will help you with more information on finding your way around the forum.