About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 139188 views.
Jan2185

Sep-3

Hi to you all

Well here I am, 18 months smoke free today. I have been posting here every month since I quit but I actually forgot in August!!  I don't think about it much any more but strangely enough I woke up the other day because in my dream I had lit up and for a second I believed it was true.  I really felt disappointment in myself then realised it was a dream :D.  

Hope all my fellow quitters are doing ok and keeping well :)

Jan sunflower

• Edited September 3, 2020 6:51 am  by  Jan2185

Congratulations Jan!!, 18 months - WOW that went by fast.you earned your freedom from this wicked tough drug addiction. It's funny that you had a smoke dream, I had plenty of them during my quit. It still amazes me how ingrained that whole process of addiction evens penetrates our dream state. Those memories of smoking are being rewritten and stored elsewhere in our brain as a past long term memory where it should belong forever. That's why we always need to heed the just one thinking and just not react impulsively. Anyways, keep up the great job of NOPING every day. You definitely are no sissy!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Jan2185

Sep-3

Thanks Debbie :)... yes the dream took me by surprise I have to admit but I have had a few things on my mind recently and I am sure its that age old feeling of "a cigarette calms me down" which we know is totally untrue...  thanks again :)

Jan sunflower

Ovivi

Sep-4

Congratulations, Jan!
18 months is really wonderful, and I’m so happy for you!

Jan2185

Sep-5

Many thanks Ovivi :)

Jan sunflower

SusanK1960

Sep-5

Hi Jan!

It is wonderful to see you again!  I’m sure you had a bit of a moment trying to confirm whether it was a dream or real!  It’s funny, I don’t remember having a dream where I was smoking until I was quitting.  Silly brain!  It is great to hear the not smoking life is working well for you and each day quit is confirming you are one tough lady!  Take care and enjoy the smells!

Jan2185

Sep-6

Thank you Susan... you certainly need a certain amount of will power even after all this time... I shall be really happy with myself when i can say I have given up for two years... seems a massive milestone but one which is now only 6 months away.. :)

Jan sunflower

Hi Jan,

Love your key...it's beautiful!! And Congrats on 18 months smoke-free. The struggle and fight was worth it. I smoked for 42 years and don't miss it. I LOVE & have JOY to be a non-smoker. My brain still has memories of me smoking and sometimes PINGS me. I have my coffee and sometimes think of a cig...I don't want a smoke but my brain remembers that I always smoked with my morning coffee for 40 yrs. When I get really stressed sometimes, I think of a cig...not that I want to smoke. Just a ping. I think my last smoking dream was about 6 wks ago. I was chain smoking and woke when I thought why in the h*ll am I smoking 3 cigarettes?? Glad to wake up and discover I was still quit and had not relapsed. The pings are annoying but my brain definitely remembers that I smoked for 42 years. I am happily smoke free for 2 years. I am a PROUD non-smoker and will never smoke another cig. Who would have thought that our struggle and withdrawal would be the good ol' days? Hope you staying safe and well during the pandemic. 

Let's keep kicking cig Butt!!!

Gloria

Freedom since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflower

Jan2185

Sep-7

Thanks Gloria - I love my key too :)

Yep, I smoked for 47 years in all... with a short break whilst pregnant.  It was tough, but I went cold turkey - felt it was the only way not to get addicted to something else!

Hopefully now I wont ever go back... I don't call myself a "non-smoker" in my head, just an ex-smoker :)

Take care and stay safe

Jan sunflower

Jan2185

Sep-20

To my two quit buddies who check in here now and then, Asad and Cheryl, we have all three made it to 18 months smoke free... Congratulations my friends... here's to the next 6 months which will reach our two year quit celebrations :)

Jan sunflower