About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 53397 views.
AsadAKhan

6/6/19

Thanks for answering all my questions. Yes I am worried and as per my wife I am very anxious person (I feel it at sometimes as well smiley). Before quit I was anxious about how I will go through withdrawals and after 5-6 days of quit I got anxious and worried on how I will retain this quit as I don't want to go back to smoking again. For me it was 25 years of addiction of 1 pack a day since I was 16.

Despite of no nicotine in any form from last 78 days I am still not a very confident person. Although I should be confident now as I have said no to 1500+ cigarettes in these days. But I do have bad days like day 64 and 76 when I got extreme cravings and anxiety hit me badly with all those thoughts of why I am going through all this, I will never feel good etc etc. and depression state

I see lot of people mentioning 3 month or 4 month  point and lot of relief after it. Is it like 1 day you will be up and you will feel very good in comparison to before or it will be a gradual change as well? Like I do see improvement from 1st month into second but after that progress is very slow if there is any.

silverene102

6/6/19

Yay! I’m so happy that you decided to do this. It’s so much easier to fight in numbers rather than alone.

i totally understand what you mean as I’m originally  from south east Asia but to me, it didn’t matter the place, I still smoke the same amount anywhere. I loved to smoke, never really need others for it, smoke itself was my best friend. Now I realised that is pretty creepy lol 

One thing I’ve changed since my last attempt to quit was I never smoke after shower at night. I used to smoke late at night outside before sleep as well. I didn’t wanna smell like ashtray in bed and didn’t like the feeling morning after so I just decided no cigarettes before bed time.

It’s been a week since My quit day. I just feel hungry all the time. Even after dinner still hungry. I tried my hardest not to give in. So far so good. The only problem I have now is I keep buying stuffs online. I just spent my smoking time online buying whatever things. I feel like I deserved them. My partner said at least now you’re not burning your money away lol 

Please do keep me posted everyday. It would be nice to know that I’m not the only one. The others please do join in as well. 

Thank you !

In reply toRe: msg 32
slowblumer

6/6/19

Hi June Ex-Smokers.

Keep your eyes on the prize and don't smoke.  Here are a few articles that may help.

How A Few Deep Breaths Can Stop Smoking Urges

Helping Friends And Family Understand How It Feels To Quit Smoking

By Terry Martin The following "letter" to family and friends was written by Richard, the nonsmoking husband of one of our forum members here at About.com Smoking Cessation. Through the experience of supporting his wife, Mary as she worked to quit smoking, Richard learned a lot about what it's like for an ex-smoker who is recovering from nicotine addiction. I Will Survive! - A Goodbye Letter To Smoking

Achieving the Mindset for Success

Here's Why You're Addicted to Nicotine

lori1531

6/6/19

Hi! I am just checking in with you to see how you are doing. It’s a big day for you! How appropriate it it’s also DDay. Congratulations on the best decision for your life. Gloria, a wonderful lady that’s in the Smokefree Warriors group approached quitting as if it’s a battle. She got us all mad and fired up that cigarettes hooked us! It’s a great mindset to have. We are on the battlefield. We have to do whatever it takes to not smoke again. I used Nicotine patches, Wellbutrin and nicotine gum occasionally. I ate candy like it was going out of style. For months I carried around a glass of ice cold water with a straw. When you get a strong craving, drink the water. When you get a craving, post here. We know how you feel! Read all of the articles here. Read the Allen Carr book or listen to it on YouTube. It was the single most important thing that changed my mindset about smoking. 

Good luck to you! You can do this! 

gilturgeon

6/6/19

Lol ... I replied back with another message and accidentally erased it.

From experience and reading others testimonials, replacing my smoking time for online shopping wouldn’t accomplish a thing, I have an addictive personality, period., and I would over do that as well .. I’m not judging nor suggesting anything, there needs to be a reward factor in this process and if you’re responsible, go for it!  We all need need rewarded for our efforts, otherwise, what’s the point?? 

Since I have is need for speed so-to-speak, I have to be very careful with my choices .. I’m going to join the gym in the next few days and totally revamp my fridge.. I’ve been blessed with athletic genes and I’m a bit apprehensive about going back to the gym however, just 8 yrs ago I was benching over 450lbs and now that nicotine and caffeine has whittled 40 lbs off my bones it’s going to be very humbling going back, but this time around I have a different reason about training...

gilturgeon

6/6/19

Thanks Lori for the tips, I certainly will lookup Carr on YouTube!

yeah the DDay coincidence is just that, coincidence.. but appropriate and I’ll never forget my quit date if I can manage a roll!!! 

Day 1 almost in the books!, I’m doing great! Thanks! I must admit it has been relatively easy, I have placed myself in a very safe position (my living room sofa lol) I have smoked my whole adult life, but never anywhere in the house. So temptations are at bay... the next few days are going to be challenging however, I have responsibilities that are going to place me in vulnerable positions.. but I’m armed with many strategies I’ve learned from different sources, including this one! Thanks y’all !...

The battlefield approaches are a great tool, I’m a male athlete with an ego that hard to satisfy by just participating, I go into games with a mindset of winning, no hits runs walks or errors - perfect game.. staying perfect in my quest of defeating nicotine and caffeine is a total possibility and I’m on the mound, armed and ready for battle and victory, I want bragging rights on this one! I’m not anticipating an easy win, I’ve loosely attempted a few times with wobbly success, the most days I’ve run together was the 2 weeks I spent in the hospital after a car wreck.. I thought I might have a chance then but .. hard to understand, I bought a pack just to have a couple as a reward for not getting nutty in the hospital , you know how long that celebration lasted haha 

I am not comfortable nor patient with the WWW but I must admit, I don’t think I’d be this focused without it..

The same way I went overboard with cigarettes and other mind-altering substances is the same way I’m going to make healthy habits work for me and perhaps be a positive example for others who are contemplating war.... 

gilturgeon

6/6/19

Sorry Lori I got a bit selfish with my reply!  being selfish I think is a good thing in this situation however, 

I’m very grateful for all you veterans coming back to contribute to this type of support ( forums, my first time ever)  from the bottom of my heart-  Thank you all for the selfless consideration, understanding and empathy of others, I’ve been bowing to King Nicotine 30-40 xs a day now for yrs, I now bow to y’all

lori1531

6/6/19

You aren’t being selfish at all. You talk about what you need to talk about to get through this.  It’s good to hear that you are determined. That’s what it takes to stay quit. You must be determined to not smoke, no matter what. The cravings can get pretty bad and the addiction can start messing with your mind. Junkie thinking can creep up on ya. During my first week, I had just about convinced myself that I really needed a cigarette because I was suffering so much and was finding it difficult to function. How crazy is that? The only way to feel better is to not smoke. 

You can do this! Be proud that you’ve made it through your first day. That’s a big accomplishment. Keep it up! Check in with us often. Have you stocked up on some goodies? Twizzlers were my favorite. 

David072118

6/6/19

Wow, Marge!!! Good goin"!!

Best,

Dave

silverene102

6/7/19

I’m so proud of myself today. I was at my in-laws and like 7 of us sitting there. Everyone’s smoking and drinking but didn’t bother me at all. I just sit there drinking my cup of coffee. A few times I felt like I was gonna reach for one from the table out of habit but then I realised I’m not a smoker anymore haha. 

Thank you so much, Debbie for all your advice. It’s not so hard with the right mind set :)