About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 51750 views.
June2019

Jun-9

hey Susan. oh, I feel like yelling lately, but its got nothing to do with my 1 year smoke free b-day :)

Seriously, isn't it so great to be able to get through the day, or a series of days, without thinking about just one puff/hit?  I'm incredibly grateful to have been granted the will and strength to stick with this quit.  There is so much more to life & taking care of ourselves & being present for others that this addiction stole away.

Next up - lose the 15 pounds I gained...while keeping the arthritis in check...while not taking family disappointments personally - BUT I AIN'T SMOKING! That is a personal accomplishment that's mine all mine with a lot of help from this forum (especially 1st 5 months - ModMarge is a saint), and check ins from you & Denim (I really have to write a milestone post :/)

slowblumer

Jun-9

Drum Roll Please---Miss June has entered the Clubhouse and has no intention of ever leaving.

Congratulations big time.  Treat yourself to something special.  I got myself a new TV for my first anniversary.  it is still going strong.

Like Susan said, a Tarzan yell is in order. 

June2019

Jun-9

Madam Marge :)

I could not have gotten through the 1st 3 months without your feedback to my occasional posts as well as reading and re-reading what you had posted and linked to for others. You are an amazing lady, sharing so much of your time and your story.

Thank you for the congrats, and for being such an important part of this forum

YOU DESERVE A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

All your determination to end your drug addiction has paid off. Be very very proud to be a member of the One Year Clubhouse! Way To Go!

You meant business & You definitely are no sissy!! 

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

June2019

Jun-9

Thanks, Debbie -

You're a great motivator & I recall your replies being just what I needed last fall. HUGS!!!

SusanK1960

Jul-8

Hey there,

How does 13 months feel?

June2019

Jul-8

hey cutie. feels great! but i'm not gonna say i'm beyond thinking about it :/  

smell smoke from passing cars & parked cars when i'm out walking & i'm so grateful it isn't me. 

how you doing? 

Eve1973

Jul-8

Congratulations on making it a year! Fantastic job! Any advice or wisdom? I’m a lil over 5 months and I’m still smelling it too, sometimes it stinks and other times it’s like an old friend came by. Which is not what I want to think. 

Hope you celebrated!

June2019

Jul-9

Congrats to you, Eve! 5 months is a big hurdle. 

For me, learning to handle emotional stressors without surrounding myself in a nicotine cloud was, beyond the physical addiction, the biggest hurdle. At a little after my 5 months I was able to get though a big work deadline without nicotine and that felt so GREAT!!!!  I think that is how I kept plugging along - by noting on my pocket calendar (old skool june) and sometimes on here where I hit a personal milestone of 'getting through X without cigs'. So when the next curveball came along, I could remind myself 'you got through X without cigs, you'll get through this'

When I felt a stressor coming on - I would try to remove myself from the situation with a quick walk even if it was just to the restroom at work, take deep breaths, think out what I need to do/say before acting rashly/panicking. I am STILL learning to work through these things! I hid my undeveloped EFFECTIVE communication skills for a lifetime in the excuse of needing a smoke. 

As an aside, I was on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds for 12 years while raising my kids. And I always felt they were a cop out - a way of dealing with a crazy world that made me depressed and anxious. ANYWAY, as an empty nester I gradually adjusted my lifestyle (meditation helped), lowered the med dosages and then quit totally - which had BAD withdrawals. BAD! way worse than physical withdrawals from getting off nicotine. On my list of life accomplishments, quitting both anti-depressants as well as nicotine are on there!

Stay strong - it keeps getting easier and easier as you/we have more experience in living as a non-smoker :)

Eve1973

Jul-9

Thanx June,

Appreciate the encouragement! Wow good for you on quitting both! Don’t know much about the depressments, but you must be very proud! Great job....Keep it going!