About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 51939 views.
silverene102

6/7/19

Haha you’re  right. I guess I already compensate myself enough for quitting now :) 

i go to gym every morning 5 days a week. Been doing that for the past 2 months. I’ve lost 10kg since last year, that’s why my doc suggested me to try Zyban to quit smoking at this time. 

How are you doing? Put on some weight yet ? 

silverene102

6/7/19

I told my partner to just leave me alone with this. It’s easier for me to quit in the background as I don’t have to deal with cravings and others at the same time. I get irritated easily without cigarettes so questions like how are you doing? Are you still smoke free etc will Just get nasty replies. I feel bad for that so it’s just better to just pretend it’s not a thing  

For the first few days tho I would scream out loud “**** I need to smoke!” at him. He’d just ignore me and continue doing what he’s doing lol. It made me feel soo much better to let it out. Now I don’t do that anymore. I’ll just read / post here to distract me. 

slowblumer

6/7/19

Hi silver,

I found in the first months of quitting I was literally 'on edge'  constantly.  I was irritable with everyone.  It will get better in time.

Reading and posting here is a great distraction, but much more.   Everyone here understands how you feel.   

Under 'Discussions' is the One Year and Beyond Milestone' posts.  Below is just one of our quit buddies stories.  I highly recommend reading them -inspiring!

Common Rationalizations for Smoking (And How to Overcome Them)

So much of this journey freeing ourselves from nicotine addiction is mental.  We are talking to ourselves in our minds daily and we are the ones that can control that conversation to work for us or against us.  Quitting smoking triggers mental rationalizations that are incorrect.

gilturgeon

6/7/19

Thank you Lori

I’m not doing bad at all.  I admit I have positioned myself in such a secure place (confining myself to inside the house) that temptations of the “association “ type are not an issue. I did go shopping this morning, driving and not smoking was one of those deep breaths moments but I made it fine, I filled up my cart with nothing but healthy choices, I’ve been on healthy diets often and honestly prefer it this way,  they just take time and preparation,  so this transition is welcomed since I DO have more time now and need to stay busy... I bounce from listening to AC/DC to contemporary Christian on YouTube for inspiration and distraction lol .. my emotions are cycling like crazy I smell my fingers and brush my teeth often as well for a reward! Sounds silly I know but I like that I’m not embarrassed anymore about smelling like cigarettes ...

loving the battle!! I’m very competitive when I want to be... I am not going to let King Nicotine keep reign over me ever again!! 

slowblumer

6/7/19

Hi David,

Good to hear from you.  You are doing great.

You are kicking butt....

David072118

6/8/19

Thanks. Marge. I'm trying to get to where you are!

Best,

Dave

slowblumer

6/8/19

Hi David,

I came here back in 2015 and one of the first folks to greet me was a lady with 2 years under her belt.  I wanted what she had so much and thought I would never get there.  One day at a time I did get there and you can too.  The more distance we have between the last cig the better.  

'If I  have just one I'll be right back where I started and where I started was desperately wishing to be where I am today'

David072118

6/8/19

Hi Marge,

That is a great quote, thanks for sharing it.

For me it's so far, so good, but I do still have the urge sometimes, and that is a good thing to remember.

Best,

Dave

In reply toRe: msg 53
David072118

6/8/19

Hi again,

How do I best direct a friend of mine who wants to quit smoking to this site?

Thanks!

Dave

Denim50

6/9/19

Hey Dave, 

It’s so great to see you back with us on the forum.  

We’d be happy to have your friend join us. 

Here’s a link to the ‘June 2019 New Ex-Smokers’ thread: 

https://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/4221/1

I would suggest that your friend start reading at the beginning of the thread, as it’s full of useful information about quitting and navigating the forum. Reading through, your friend will also be able to see the post of other new quitters who will become your friend’s quit buddies.

I wish your friend the best and, again, it’s wonderful to see you back on the forum.

Have a great day. 

• Edited June 9, 2019 3:35 am  by  Denim50