About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 53336 views.
Frank (Azriel57)

6/12/19

Welcome Ben,

Congrats on taking the first step in your quit. It will be a long hard road but well worth it. I am on day 5, so I am right there with you. When the urge hits and hits hard try to find something, anything to take your mind off your brain crying out for a smoke, I know easier said then done, but you just have to make it through those intense 5 - 10 minutes. Meditation might be a good distraction or yoga if you do that sort of thing. I enjoy video games so I sit down and get into a game which allows me to ignore the urge and take the aggression out on the on screen baddies.

Know we are here supporting and rooting for you. If you need some support during those urges come in and post or check out the many articles to help you through your journey (I believe the ones posted at the start of this thread are a great starting point).

slowblumer

6/12/19

Hi Ben,

Welcome,

Here's a wonderful list ModJenn put together that should come in handy.

Also, if you can start at the beginning of this thread and read through.  Knowledge about nicotine addiction is power.

Quit Toolbox

• Drink ice water through a straw. Repeat. Drink ice water through a straw. Repeat...
  • Knowledge is power. Read everything you can get your hands on about this addiction. The more you understand about your own addiction to nicotine, the better equipped you become to get through the cessation process.
  • Post on the Forum until your fingers are sore. Post, post, post. 
  • Closely related: Go to the NOPE pledge daily and hold yourself accountable.
  • When you come across posts that inspire and/or strengthen you ~ copy and paste them into a Word document. In this way, you can reread them when you feel wibbly wobbly and are climbing the walls.
  • Distract, distract, distract. (Shhhh.....I would do jumping jacks and by the time I got to about 10-12 I was distracted -- that's for sure. Try puzzles, reading a book, anything that shifts the focus of your thoughts.) More generally, stop whatever you are doing, move, and do something else. The craving will pass.
  • Remind yourself this is a journey and the more time you put between now and that last cigarette, the stronger your quit muscles become and the more you have in your quit toolbox. Take it one minute and hour at at time, if necessary, and the days will keep adding up.
  • Every day you go to bed smoke-free is a good day. Be kind to yourself along the way.
  • What you are experiencing is normal - "this too shall pass".
  • Take a shower. Brush your teeth. Put on lotion.
  • Read your quit reasons.
  • Create a list of all the benefits you are experiencing now that you no longer smoke. Practice gratitude at least once a day for these benefits and life changes.
  • Cinnamon flavored sugar-free gum (even cinnamon sticks).
  • Chai tea (I had to avoid coffee for a while but can drink it now without a problem).
  • Eat healthy snacks, such as carrots or frozen grapes (Some honesty here: I didn't always do so well with this one due to this pesky sweet tooth I developed once I could taste my food again. The good news is that as my quit felt more secure my eating wasn't as erratic.)
  • Protect your quit at all costs by avoiding situations that are high-risk for you, especially in the early part of the quit (e.g., other smokers, alcohol, etc.).
  • Make a plan for handling cravings when around temptation. Do not enter potentially difficult situations without a plan.
  • Remind yourself that it's going to be okay - time is your friend as you relearn every aspect of daily life.
  • Keep a journal to record your journey and it's easier to see how far you have come (It gave me perspective at times when I
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message

Thanks Marge for the list  that will keep me busy, I'll also have to go back and familiarise myself with the June posts and Introduce myself as the serial quitter who for the last four years has failed to make one quit stick, maybe this time, I  am using Zyban this time and only have a short supply, the chemist told my wife that they have stopped making it and supplies are limited. I have ten days supply left.

Quit date Tuesday 11th June 2019

Kind regards

Anthony

One day, 5 hours, 30 minutes and 4 seconds. 18 cigarettes not smoked, saving $18.39. Life saved: 1 hour, 30 minutes.

Msg 4221.74 deleted
slowblumer

6/12/19

Hi Anthony,

Welcome back.

I was on Bupropion for almost a year and I think it kept me from being totally undone in my quit.   Maybe your doctor can give a script for a similar medication.   Just a thought.

Several quit aids are available now that do not use nicotine as the active ingredient. The following therapies are given under a doctor's care only.

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
slowblumer

6/12/19

Hello Rj,

Welcome.  It may help you to list all your reasons for quitting smoking.  Before I quit I saw my doc and went on medication and I used a nicotine inhaler for several months.  Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I ever did but the best thing too.  You can do this.

Tips to Beat the Mind Games When You Quit Smoking

overdoz

6/12/19

Hey Anthony looks like we are in the same boat. I totally didn't smoke yesterday, slept like i hadn't slept in weeks. Dont know if you remember i had bought myself a car as a present to myself for not smoking in January, a 1983 Oldsmobile Regency 98, w 44,000 original miles, its a blast.. just went and converted over the air conditioning and she blows cold, i walked to my mechanic and drove her back.

I find that the patches work the best for me, and also keeping busy.

Overdoz quit 06-11-2019

I was just the opposite, I watched the World series cricket on Tv last night, I fell asleep in the chair, woke up just as Australia bowled Pakistan out to win the game and have been up since 4 AM on this site mainly so we quit on the same day eh , I'm on Zyban and i'll just read and post, cant go anywhere because of my sore foot, never mind, hey thats so cool about the car, literally.

Kind regards

Anthony

Thanks Marge,

The Bupropion is very good I have had only the faintest of cravings so far. If I can not get supplies then I will go back to the Doc. see what he suggests.

Kind regards

Anthony

Owen0318

6/13/19

hello Anthony, glad to see you back, I guess I will be posting here on the June quitters page because the May one seems to have no activity, stay strong lets beat this addiction for good !